Upgrade from 720p to 1080p issues

Premblr

Hello Members,

Recently upgraded my projector from 720p to 1080p. My old 720p used to play files of low resolution without any issues but 1080p degardes 720p files to a greater extent.

Old projector was Acer H5370BD nd new is BenQ mh530FHD. Some files play with pixelation of large squares which is an eyesore. Also dont find the motion to be smooth.

Any pointers on this? tips for better picture on BenQ etc. My Acer was a star and still is, upgraded for 1080p.

Thanks in advance,
Prem

As per my experience, 720p media looks less sharp on 1080p projector for same sized screen compared to 720p projector.
However the things that you are experiencing - blocking and jittery motion seems to be because of your media player or projector settings (Noise reduction / Frequency etc). Compare that with your old setup and you will be able to zero-in the problem

Get a media player that has good upscaling capabilities if you have a lot of 720p content.
Like maybe the 2019 new nvidia shield.
BTW what is your current media player?
How good are 1080p files playing?
Screen size?
I used to own a 1080p Epson TW-6100 with a 120” screen , I played 720p content very occasionally but never had any pixelation or motion issues.

Looks like the up-scaling job is being done by your projector.

You may try fiddling with up scaling settings in your projector if it has any.

If you are watching 720pripps,then most of them are lower that 720p.Unless its upscaled properly, its difficult to get perfect picture.You need to play 1080p files only in that case.

Thank you guys, tweaked with settings and now satisfactory results. My media player is Panasonic bdt 220, did some custom settings for brightness, contrast and sharpness, now they are good.1080p files were always good, trouble was with 720p files.

Apparently I have to take back my above comment on settings.

The issue is not with 1080p but more to do with Frame interpolation. As per what I read, 720p projectors do a better job against this juddering effect than 1080p. This is a whole issue by itself and nothing to do with resolution of files. The issue stems right from shooting of the scene and then the frame rate at which it is played.

Some people are more sensitive to this judder or I was expecting more pixel perfection after the upgrade. Maybe my BenQ or other low cost models don't have frame interpolation implemented. This issue will be even greater for people who may buy 4K projectors.

The projector should have better upscaling software than the media player. As a standard it is recommended to allow the display to do the upscaling rather than the source. Again that also depends on which media player you are using. But then again it also depends on how good the projector software is too.

The projector should have better upscaling software than the media player. As a standard it is recommended to allow the display to do the upscaling rather than the source. Again that also depends on which media player you are using. But then again it also depends on how good the projector software is too.

I don't think projector will have that software, it is just a display device like a monitor. AVR should handle the upscaling in my humble opinion.

I am also facing this type of problem in my projector, i am having Benq MH535FHD if i play movie 1080p 5gb and above means i can see small small dots (pixel) in my screen . i am using local android box H96 Max software i am using to view movie is Kodi.
if i use nvidia shield pro means it will get rectify pls anyone guide me. i just watch movies only through USB 3.1 port
is there any specific usb (pen drive) available.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back