Upgrade to Short Throw

maxms

Few months back when i started my journey in projector world , the area was very new and did not have much idea on how these would actually look and perform.
So played safe and went with a basic cheap projector.

Though it was nothing to write home about but most importantly it introduced me to concepts and what to look for and how to decode several specifications which were very alien to me at that time.
Though it has several limitations but was still mostly happy with the usage I was having and also proper upgrade would have costed a lot. So there was no plan to upgrade atleast till a year or so and was instead priority was to upgrade my audio system and old plasma television.

By chance couple of months back i got chance to travel to states and over there projector options are huge with very attractive pricing.
With my experience i knew I need a short throw one which can be installed and replaced as required in my living room. Other was that even 1080p resolution would be fine based on content i would be having access to, screen size and viewing distance.
Though ideal would have been a UST projector but even base models were stating from 1000usd. Then came across Optoma GT1080 Darbee for 650usd. It was having a bit higher throw ratio of 0.5 and no zoom function but was still fine for my usage so decided to get this.

I am using my existing 90inch white projector screen with and experience is very good. Pictures are crisp and clear and even in eco mode and reduced brightness visibility is good in dark room. With some ambient light also PQ is good just need to increase brightness a bit.
This model is smaller in size and comes with carry bag so carrying and storing it is also convenient.
Small issue is that with no optical zoom and lens shift have to to manually move projector while setting up every time but after doing it sometime its bit easier now.

Some snaps

20191124_213157.jpg
20191214_202851.jpg
20191214_202432.jpg
20200101_192316.jpg

Still working on proper setting with some experiment should be able to get some betterment.
Any suggestions on how to properly calibrate the projector so reference images which can be used.

I am currently using projector with a 90 inch (7x4 ft) map type screen. Viewing distance is 12-14 ft.However i think that 135 or even 150 inch screen should be possible per my viewing distance. Will this size be good considering projector is 1080p only and not 4K?

I was planning to make a new DIY screen using white blackout curtain fabric with minimum expense.
But available width of cloth were either 48 or 54 inch only of which couple inch may go in overheads. So available width will be 52 inch max which will give screen size of 105 inch only. Are higher width cloths available? if not what could be options here?

Also there are several types available in market , which type should be preferred for best result?
Few which I saw were doing decent blackout in dark color but in white colored fabric lots of light was passing through (checked using mobile flash).

Looking for suggestions or any other better DIY options which can be considered.

If you will be purchasing UST projector, then hold off building screen now and buy ambient light rejecting grey screen when you get the projector.
I am on my third projector now. Projectors keep changing but screen remains same. So better to spend a good amount on screen once and continue using it for years to come.

If you will be purchasing UST projector, then hold off building screen now and buy ambient light rejecting grey screen when you get the projector.
I am on my third projector now. Projectors keep changing but screen remains same. So better to spend a good amount on screen once and continue using it for years to come.
Have got current one few months back only, No plan to get a UST now. Also for UST's screen size is mentioned between 100-120 inch only. So assuming larger image size may not be good.
ALR may be good but whatever i saw were way expensive. Was not able to justify cost for my usage. ALR seems to be more suitable when using projector as a TV replacement with high day time usage. My projector usage is usually over weekend or alternate weekend movie nights, that too in dark room or night time.

Any suggestions on which type of blackout fabirc would be best or if anyone has used blackout curtain fabric or any other similar material for DIY screen in budget?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back