Upgrading drivers in Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers...

vmujumdar

Hi,

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers. Very old now and the sound is seeming a bit flat. I was hoping to change the drivers and the cross-over with the hope that it will improve the sound quality. I would like to keep the cabinets.

Is this a viable option? If so, can anyone suggest the drivers I can use to replace my current drivers? And a cross-over? And where I can buy them, I'm in Mumbai.

Regards,
Vikas

Hey Hi.

Have you written to Wharfedale to know what they might suggest? You could also try procuring the same drivers or an updated version of them and replacing the aging ones. If you want to try out some other brand or DIY driver then I guess you'll have to get into exact specs of driver and cabinet.

MaSh

I haven't considered going back to Wharfedale, one, assuming they won't have much advice for a discontinued model and two, as you rightly say, I would like to try out some other brand of drivers and get a bit of the DIY satisfaction.

Here the the specifications:

Screen Shot 2018-10-19 at 7.42.22 AM.png

Thanks,
Vikas

Hi,

I have a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers. Very old now and the sound is seeming a bit flat. I was hoping to change the drivers and the cross-over with the hope that it will improve the sound quality. I would like to keep the cabinets.

Is this a viable option? If so, can anyone suggest the drivers I can use to replace my current drivers? And a cross-over? And where I can buy them, I'm in Mumbai.

Regards,
Vikas

Visit Designer Audio (Tardeo AC Market).....my brother had his Quad drivers replaced and they also do reconing if required.

http://www.designeraudio.in/

Could you please elaborate why it is not possible? Won't chase down this path then.

Cabinet design is pure science. Each Driver / combination of drivers warrant different types of cabinets type and volume, With Without ports, port tuning freq, etc.. Either you replace them with exact same model of drivers from Wharfdale or go for a complete DIY route which means you need to build your own Cabinet for the drivers of your choice

Cabinet design is pure science. Each Driver / combination of drivers warrant different types of cabinets type and volume, With Without ports, port tuning freq, etc.. Either you replace them with exact same model of drivers from Wharfdale or go for a complete DIY route which means you need to build your own Cabinet for the drivers of your choice
Got it. Thanks. Will reevaluate my options.

Regards,
Vikas

What is the problem you are facing with the current set up?

Could be very subjective but the sound is not as well defined as it was when I bought them or as compared to similar newer speakers I hear around. I upgraded my amplifier recently from an old Norge to a Cambridge Audio Topaz 20 but there was no improvement.

I actually called in a technician from Designer Audio (as efernand 1 suggests) but the guy just said there was nothing wrong and to buy new speakers if I was unhappy with the sound.

Before going for any system do your home work properly I may say something which people may feel bad but please dont jump into any new gear before you have heard it peoperly.Secoundly speakers have the vital role.

If your present speakers are a problem pl specify what is it?Tweeter is harsh or lacks in lows or midrange is muddy what is the problem?

Could be very subjective but the sound is not as well defined as it was when I bought them or as compared to similar newer speakers I hear around. I upgraded my amplifier recently from an old Norge to a Cambridge Audio Topaz 20 but there was no improvement.

I actually called in a technician from Designer Audio (as efernand 1 suggests) but the guy just said there was nothing wrong and to buy new speakers if I was unhappy with the sound.

Based on the specs......the speakers seem power hungry and need atleast 20 watts power to start some output in them....

https://www.cnet.com/products/wharfedale-diamond-8-4-speakers-wired-series/specs/

Has your sources changed?

Some of us have the habit of changing amps / avrs more than speakers......for me....i like to experiment with speakers as and when i can.......in short....i have changed speakers every 18-24 months......right now using a pair of Bose 301s series III which are over 18 yrs old.....rear are Bose 201s series V (tweaked tweeters to sound more sharper) and a Dali center.....all hooked to a Marantz SR series AVR and BIC America sub......combination is good till i get hungry for a change in SQ.......

Try placing or angling the speakers a bit differently....check sources being fed.....want to make the speakers sound a little better? Get an Equaliser....

Given that I am not a technical expert and just go by whether or not I like what I hear, let me step back and ask a very general question: my speakers are now about 14 years old, and I live in Mumbai, with its humidity and sea-breeze. Would my speakers have deteriorated in any way?

Even as I ask I can see from efernand1's post above that 18-year old speakers are working well.

To your question have my sources changed: In addition to my CD player (a basic one, have to admit, should I consider an upgrade?) I've added a Denon turntable and a Belkin bluetooth receiver. The amp has an FM receiver. The ranking should be obvious: CDs sound the best, the LPs and any music I stream is subject to the media quality, the FM playback is ok, I think we have good quality broadcasts on 94.3 FM (the only channel I listen to).

Is there anyone I can call who will come home and test the quality of my speaker output in a scientific manner?

At the end of it all, I must admit that a part of the reason I want to change is just to try out something new and maybe I am imagining a deteriorated sound quality to justify the few tens of thousands I will need to spend to change my speakers and give me the DIY kick.

Given that I am not a technical expert and just go by whether or not I like what I hear, let me step back and ask a very general question: my speakers are now about 14 years old, and I live in Mumbai, with its humidity and sea-breeze. Would my speakers have deteriorated in any way?

Even as I ask I can see from efernand1's post above that 18-year old speakers are working well.

To your question have my sources changed: In addition to my CD player (a basic one, have to admit, should I consider an upgrade?) I've added a Denon turntable and a Belkin bluetooth receiver. The amp has an FM receiver. The ranking should be obvious: CDs sound the best, the LPs and any music I stream is subject to the media quality, the FM playback is ok, I think we have good quality broadcasts on 94.3 FM (the only channel I listen to).

Is there anyone I can call who will come home and test the quality of my speaker output in a scientific manner?

At the end of it all, I must admit that a part of the reason I want to change is just to try out something new and maybe I am imagining a deteriorated sound quality to justify the few tens of thousands I will need to spend to change my speakers and give me the DIY kick.

Speakers deteriorate with type of usage. From simple level deterioration like surrounds coming off to voice coil going bust it depends on how one plays a speaker in the long run . Too much power and volume causing high excursions or too low a frequency too often or too much current for the coils to handle are easy killers of speakers.sometimes the speaker's die instantly ..Sometimes they began to die slow death .
Their voice coil becomes weak..The suspension system might bottom out too often , when things like these happen you will experience a difference in sound . Obviously it will not be pleasing while the difference is more to do with type of damage the speaker has undergone .
From a usual wear and tear perspective speakers do get affected mostly from dust and moisture ..Depending on the nature of your cone (paper, metal, fiber, carbon etc..) you can expect too much difference or minimal difference
Part if audio is the excitement in frequent upgrades and the joy of hearing different tonality of sounds.so 5-6 years is a good upgrade cycle for most components unless your equipment is into uber high end / exotic list which usually can even outrun an avg life of a dog

Could you please elaborate why it is not possible? Won't chase down this path then.
Every driver needs its own cabinet design, based on its TS parameters. We can't just club any driver to any cabinet and expect to work better. But there is a hit and miss chance.

If you strongly desire to change drivers, you have to find a driver, that suits your existing cabinet. You have to run through many drivers and do basic simulation. Too time taking. Not worth the efforts. Tweeter can be changed. Because it's indipendent of cabinet size and shape.

If you still want to give it a try....check your existing speakers TS parameters first. Then brouse through net and find some drivers with similar TS parameters. Fs, Vas, Qts, impedance, etc should nearly match.

But as I said...it's a hit and match chance.
Crossover is again a next level headache

If you are willing to get your hands dirty, our FMs here can guide you to build completely new diy speakers. If the driver selection, crossover, and cabinet design is done properly, you will surely get a better pair of speakers, than what you would expect by changing your drivers.
Alternatively...
You can ask our FMs from your city to build a pair for you as well.

Thank you guys, all inputs have been very useful. I'm going to follow the advice in sequence: first, I will go ahead and upgrade, I think I need to based on MI_10's thoughts. Then, I will try to find the best match drivers and a cross-over using the existing cabinets as Naveenbnc suggests and if that fails, I will build cabinets for the new drivers.

Sorry, but who are FMs? And how do I get their guidance?

Thank you guys, all inputs have been very useful. I'm going to follow the advice in sequence: first, I will go ahead and upgrade, I think I need to based on MI_10's thoughts. Then, I will try to find the best match drivers and a cross-over using the existing cabinets as Naveenbnc suggests and if that fails, I will build cabinets for the new drivers.

Sorry, but who are FMs? And how do I get their guidance?
FM means Forum members. Where in Mumbai do you live?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back