Upgrading existing Yamaha amplifier / receiver

matgeos

Hi everyone,

I greatly appreciate the useful info on the threads in these forums that really educate laypersons like me.

I would like to ask maybe what seems to be dumb question - some advise on upgrading my present system, which consists of a Yamaha AV Receiver - RX-V450, which I use with KEF Q series speakers - Q 3 for the front left and right, Q 2c for centre speaker and Q1 for rear left and right. Sub woofer is a powered Cerwin vega

Yamaha - dynamic power at 8 ohms - 115 W, IEC output power - 95 W at 8 ohms.

Q3 - Left and right - rated at 15 - 120 W, 8 ohms
Q2c - 10 - 100 W

I mainly use the system to listen and watch concert DVD's of rock music, like Pink Floyd, Queen, Guns and Roses etc

Presently to really get a decent volume, the volume control of the Yamaha has to be set at nearly full volume. i was wondering if I replaced the amplifier with a more powerful one would it deliver more volume.

The room where I listen to this is approx 12' x 16'.

Budget is around 40,000 or less, or as required really.

I live at Chennai. The yamaha is 7 years old and would there be any possibility of an exchange offer from any store. Or should I change my speakers?

Thanks in advance for any advise on my situation.

:)

going purely by specs the amp should be powerful enough to drive your speakers to quite a loud level. what is the sensitivity of the speakers though. it will be measured in db

Hi everyone,

I greatly appreciate the useful info on the threads in these forums that really educate laypersons like me.

I would like to ask maybe what seems to be dumb question - some advise on upgrading my present system, which consists of a Yamaha AV Receiver - RX-V450, which I use with KEF Q series speakers - Q 3 for the front left and right, Q 2c for centre speaker and Q1 for rear left and right. Sub woofer is a powered Cerwin vega

Yamaha - dynamic power at 8 ohms - 115 W, IEC output power - 95 W at 8 ohms.

Q3 - Left and right - rated at 15 - 120 W, 8 ohms
Q2c - 10 - 100 W

I mainly use the system to listen and watch concert DVD's of rock music, like Pink Floyd, Queen, Guns and Roses etc

Presently to really get a decent volume, the volume control of the Yamaha has to be set at nearly full volume. i was wondering if I replaced the amplifier with a more powerful one would it deliver more volume.

The room where I listen to this is approx 12' x 16'.

Budget is around 40,000 or less, or as required really.

I live at Chennai. The yamaha is 7 years old and would there be any possibility of an exchange offer from any store. Or should I change my speakers?

Thanks in advance for any advise on my situation.

:)

Looks like your speaker has a efficiency of 91db.. Which is very good...I think you need to tweak the speaker settings in the receiver to get the best sound.

If you have already tweaked enough, then your source material has to be doubted...Try playing some CD material & compare the volume on your receiver...

Usually DVD material will require more volume than the CD material...

If you have done all the above, then consider upgrading the receiver....

Am not sure if there is buy back from Yamaha dealers...Best thing is to sell your receiver in the classified section of the Forum if you are planning to go for a new one...

going purely by specs the amp should be powerful enough to drive your speakers to quite a loud level. what is the sensitivity of the speakers though. it will be measured in db

From the spec sheet it says 91 db.

Thanks for the info.....had tweaked the receiver settings. You are right CD's need less volume setting than the DVD's and even among DVD's there is a considerable variation due to recording source or levels probably.

If i upgrade the receiver what power range should I aim for, to get better volume? Will a higher power amp solve my problem.

Thanks for the info.....had tweaked the receiver settings. You are right CD's need less volume setting than the DVD's and even among DVD's there is a considerable variation due to recording source or levels probably.

If i upgrade the receiver what power range should I aim for, to get better volume? Will a higher power amp solve my problem.

All receivers have more or less the same power ratings for the same price range...

If you are going to upgrade the amplifier, consider any brand with pre-outs for each channel in addition to Sub woofer Out.....This way you can add power amplifier to it any time.....

All receivers have more or less the same power ratings for the same price range...

If you are going to upgrade the amplifier, consider any brand with pre-outs for each channel in addition to Sub woofer Out.....This way you can add power amplifier to it any time.....

I'm sorry for sounding dumb, but I'm not clear how this works....if I understood your suggestion I should get an amplifier with pre-outs for each channel in addition to sub woofer out, could you please recommend some power range / specs and makes.

Thereafter can I use the existing Yamaha as a power amp? this I think may be the dumb question. If not, could you also please recommend power range / specs and makes for the power amp too.

Thanks.

From the spec sheet it says 91 db.

i dont see why the volume should be low unless there is a problem with the amp or as elangoas said a problem with the connection or settings. try and identify the problem first and then see whether you still need to buy a new amp

See if you can add a power amp or sell this avr and buy a high end yamaha avr(discontinued models on sale 45%).... Kef and yamaha are good match.

Not sure whether you have played around with the settings, try doing that and maybe the sound will change. Second option would be to get the amp serviced, only once you exhaust these options then look for another receiver.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back