Upgrading My Home Theater Setup. Suggestions Please..!

ankitm

Hello All

About a year back I had purchased HTiB Yamaha YHT-2910. Loved the sound output then but now am craving for more and hence decided on upgrading my current setup.

I would keep the Yamaha AVR 3067 (I Think which come with the package) and the active subwoofer that came along. I am interested in changing Front , Center and the Surround Speakers. First, I would start with Front L & R speakers and then buy the center and surround speakers later. The total budget I have put for all of this is Rs. 40,000 which can be stretched to a maximum of Rs. 50,000 if it comes to that.

I intend on buying the front speakers within December and the rest about 4 months later. Any suggestions please.

Hi

You can pick Taga speakers (without sub) from Hifi Mart...there is a dedicated TAGA thread on HFV to get views and feedback...i am sure it will match well with the Yamaha AVR...speakers are rated at 6 ohms load....

Hi

You can pick Taga speakers (without sub) from Hifi Mart...there is a dedicated TAGA thread on HFV to get views and feedback...i am sure it will match well with the Yamaha AVR...speakers are rated at 6 ohms load....

Thanks for the quick reply.. however I see very mixed reviews of 606 se (assuming u referred to these) for music but however they are good for movies.. I use the system for lot of music as well.. should this be an issue?

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

Hello All

About a year back I had purchased HTiB Yamaha YHT-2910. Loved the sound output then but now am craving for more and hence decided on upgrading my current setup.

I would keep the Yamaha AVR 3067 (I Think which come with the package) and the active subwoofer that came along. I am interested in changing Front , Center and the Surround Speakers. First, I would start with Front L & R speakers and then buy the center and surround speakers later.

I intend on buying the front speakers within December and the rest about 4 months later. Any suggestions please.

Sure, change of speakers will be a very good improvement.. But your HTIB's active sub may not be ale to give you the oomph for movies..

By adding a new active sub, you can offload a good amount of bass from your satellite speakers..Once done, you can start replacing the rest of the speakers..

The total budget I have put for all of this is Rs. 40,000 which can be stretched to a maximum of Rs. 50,000 if it comes to that.

Consider Taga Harmony.. Plenty of budget models to choose from..

TSW 120 from ebay.in for 22K- Taga Harmony TSW-120 v.2 Active Subwoofer - Wenge | eBay

If you apply coupon code, it should be 20K..

Make it a gradual one, save up and spend on something good. In that way you'll need to upgrade the AVR too eventually.

The most noticeable improvement will be from the center channel, so go with that first, a big/chunky/beefy center channel speaker. 90% of content will come from it in a HT setup.

Then subwoofer and/or matching front left and right depending on your budget.

The satellites can wait for last.

Going for a budget 5.1 or even 7.1 speaker setup will only mean you will outgrow it again pretty soon.

So my advice will be to save up and add the center, the sub, the fronts, etc. one at a time... that way you will have a system that will last for a really long time and also cannot be beat by budget speaker packages.

Sure, change of speakers will be a very good improvement.. But your HTIB's active sub may not be ale to give you the oomph for movies..

By adding a new active sub, you can offload a good amount of bass from your satellite speakers..Once done, you can start replacing the rest of the speakers..

Consider Taga Harmony.. Plenty of budget models to choose from..

TSW 120 from ebay.in for 22K- Taga Harmony TSW-120 v.2 Active Subwoofer - Wenge | eBay

If you apply coupon code, it should be 20K..

I thought the active sub is doing fine. However, you think changing the sub will make things better with my existing speakers? Please note my room size is about 170 sq. ft.

Am I better off buying a complete 5.0 Taga Harmony (Not sure which one yet) plus TSW 120? Will this be a good satisfactory upgrade than what I have currently?

Hi

The 5.0 speakers will give good sound...if you are looking for good low frequencies (close to 20hz) then you need to have a nice decent sub which can deliver the same....

visit ProAudioHome website....new dealer ....offer some nice competitive prices on speakers and components....

I thought the active sub is doing fine. However, you think changing the sub will make things better with my existing speakers? Please note my room size is about 170 sq. ft.

Though Yamaha HTIB is active sub, it has 6.5 inch driver and could be low on output (SPL) as it has 50W power.. The better one's are 10/12 inch subs with some capable power 150W.. hence the suggestion.

Am I better off buying a complete 5.0 Taga Harmony (Not sure which one yet) plus TSW 120? Will this be a good satisfactory upgrade than what I have currently?

You can also consider the higher platinum series (or) Azure series from Taga.. Bet 25 ~ 35K, you can easily build 5.0 system..

Make it a gradual one, save up and spend on something good. In that way you'll need to upgrade the AVR too eventually.

The most noticeable improvement will be from the center channel, so go with that first, a big/chunky/beefy center channel speaker. 90% of content will come from it in a HT setup.

Then subwoofer and/or matching front left and right depending on your budget.

The satellites can wait for last.

Going for a budget 5.1 or even 7.1 speaker setup will only mean you will outgrow it again pretty soon.

So my advice will be to save up and add the center, the sub, the fronts, etc. one at a time... that way you will have a system that will last for a really long time and also cannot be beat by budget speaker packages.

I do understand buying components 1 by 1 will give me a great sounding Home Theatre but affordability is the key here. I dont want to be spending all my money on HT System. My wife will kill me if I do that. Even spending 50k is asking for too much for me. Hence, am looking for something that is VFM and that I do not look for upgrading or spending more money on it again anytime in near future.
I wish i could afford all that great equipments.. They tempt me!

After reading some more similar threads, am edging a lot towards Taga Harmony 606 SE with a sub.. maybe Taga's TSW 120.. Whole thing will cost me about 50k which is my maximum budget..

If only I could hear it first before buying.. Anybody know where I can audition them in Kolkata? Or if anybody owns them locally and would be kind enough to let me hear them, please let me know.

OR another thought which am not sure as it goes above my budget.. Instead of buying the set I could buy individual components slowly and steadily like:

Taga Harmony C-100 for Center - Rs. 16,000
Taga Harmony Platinum B40 BS - Rs. 26,000
Taga Harmony Platinum S100 Rear - Rs. 21,000
Taga Harmony TSW 120 Subwoofer - Rs. 20,000

Please suggest alternative to the above if it can go better with my AVR

OR another thought which am not sure as it goes above my budget.. Instead of buying the set I could buy individual components slowly and steadily like:

The above list looks good.. If you are unable to stretch your budget, then you can consider

Taga Harmony Platinum S 90 SL Bookshelf speaker for fronts & surrounds (13K) per pair
Taga Harmony Platinum C 90 SL (10K)..
And a Taga subwoofer..

Please check hifimart & ebay.in.. Sometimes it is listed in ebay.in & you can use 7 - 8% coupon code all the time..

"Actual" price after applying discounts at least that is what I have paid:

Platinum C-100: 13000/-
Platinum S-10: 16000/-
B-10 BS: 20700/-
Taga SW-10: 24500/-
---------------------------
Total: 74,200/- against your figure of 83,000/- that too with Platinum SW-10 instead of TSW 120. Platinum SW-10 must be way better than TSW 120.

Responding to your query in another thread regarding the performance of these speakers:

C-100: This all purpose speaker (means regular TV watching + Own media sources) I would NEVER ever let go. This is an asset since all dialogues handled by Center Channel. Crystal clear voice. Good mids.

S-100: Good dispersion. Does the job of a good surround, again crystal clear soundtrack. I am now using it as ceiling speaker placed in the middle.

(PS: Our esteemed FM @elangoas suggested me to use Floor standers of TAV 506 as one of the surrounds and take it bass, I am doing exactly that:D with surround speakers of TAV 506 as my back channel. Further, cant keep the FS on the floor due to super naughty 2 years old son:sad:, so it had to be hanged, best used as a 3-way L & R surrounds now)

Bookshelf B-40: Timbre matched. Nothing to say more.

SW-10: Already discussed in the original thread. Allow the sub to break-in and then gauge the performance.

"Actual" price after applying discounts at least that is what I have paid:

Platinum C-100: 13000/-
Platinum S-10: 16000/-
B-10 BS: 20700/-
Taga SW-10: 24500/-
---------------------------
Total: 74,200/- against your figure of 83,000/- that too with Platinum SW-10 instead of TSW 120. Platinum SW-10 must be way better than TSW 120.

Responding to your query in another thread regarding the performance of these speakers:

C-100: This all purpose speaker (means regular TV watching + Own media sources) I would NEVER ever let go. This is an asset since all dialogues handled by Center Channel. Crystal clear voice. Good mids.

S-100: Good dispersion. Does the job of a good surround, again crystal clear soundtrack. I am now using it as ceiling speaker placed in the middle.

(PS: Our esteemed FM @elangoas suggested me to use Floor standers of TAV 506 as one of the surrounds and take it bass, I am doing exactly that:D with surround speakers of TAV 506 as my back channel. Further, cant keep the FS on the floor due to super naughty 2 years old son:sad:, so it had to be hanged, best used as a 3-way L & R surrounds now)

Bookshelf B-40: Timbre matched. Nothing to say more.

SW-10: Already discussed in the original thread. Allow the sub to break-in and then gauge the performance.

I found the prices after a very quick search and without browsing different sites.. so maybe I could get it lower as you stated here..

I would have preferred Floor standing speakers for front Left and Right. But I am not finding any within my budget reach.. however you say B40 perform great so hopefully I wouldn't be disappointed there..

Sub am not sure yet with s10.. maybe I get the sub in the end after getting the others gradually..

Will look into more suggestions before I come to a conclusion.. really wish I could hear them perform.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

another issue I think that I may have is that my TV unit is only 6 ft in length.. So if i buy bookshelves and place them on extreme ends, they will be about 5 f away from each other and centre speaker in between them.. I think this will be limiting my soundstage and is not the ideal way to put the speakers for the best output. Buying decent stands will cost me another 10k if am not mistaken. Hence, i was preferring to go for FS instead of BS.

upon checking Jamsticks, I see these options that I get:

Taga Harmony Azure F60 - 33k
Taga Harmony Azure S40 - 11k
Taga Harmony Azure C40 - 9k
+ Sub (not sure yet) - will buy later when i have money.. will do with my current sub till then

Ok I have made up my mind that I am going to buy components individually and build a better system than getting a 5.0 or 5. 1 package.

Also I intend to spend upto Rs. 80,000 step by step to build my system.
My room size is about 180 sq ft. and I am open to options to build my HT. The only thing I am going to use from my current setup is Yamaha HTR 3067. I intend to make my 1st purchase by next 45 days.

ok after much confusion and analyzing my income vs expenses, I decided and bought a Taga Harmony TAV 606 SE 5.0 speaker system.

Just installed it with my new Oxygen Free Cables that I bought along with it since my previous cables came with the YHT 2910 and not sure if those were great.

When i turned on the system after installation, I was amazed with the difference from my previous speakers. Seems like a huge upgrade but on a budget. Currently have Yamaha active sub attached to it. Will look at upgrading to a better and bigger sub soon. Looking into what sub I should be buying. Maybe by end of the year, I will be getting it.

ok after much confusion and analyzing my income vs expenses, I decided and bought a Taga Harmony TAV 606 SE 5.0 speaker system.

Just installed it with my new Oxygen Free Cables that I bought along with it since my previous cables came with the YHT 2910 and not sure if those were great.

When i turned on the system after installation, I was amazed with the difference from my previous speakers. Seems like a huge upgrade but on a budget. Currently have Yamaha active sub attached to it. Will look at upgrading to a better and bigger sub soon. Looking into what sub I should be buying. Maybe by end of the year, I will be getting it.

Great going with sensible upgrade... Congrats and Enjoy.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back