Upgrading the Stereo Setup. Seeking experts advice

anirban3

Dear All,

I started my journey into Stereo about 10 years back. My current Setup are a pair of Mordaunt Short 906 Powered by a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A. And I love the roundness of the sound this combination offers. My source has been a PS3 / Streaming services using IPAD all this while which was not the best source.

I think its high time I upgrade my set up and currently window shopping , I've narrowed down on

Loud Speakers : Klipsch Heresy IV [Love the Transparent Sound, Its Open & Loud, & yes the vintage design]

Need your advice on the electronics . What would be a good amp to power the Heresy's. I read the Heresy's love the Tube & the listening room uses Prima Luna as far as I remember. Does it have to be a Tube Amplifiers ?

Also some suggestion on Network Streamer would be good. Reading all good stories of the CXN V2.

Thank you for your expert advice here

If you can do away with the bells and whistles of the CXN, then Audiolab 6000N is a fine streamer.

Dear All,

I started my journey into Stereo about 10 years back. My current Setup are a pair of Mordaunt Short 906 Powered by a Cambridge Audio Azur 540A. And I love the roundness of the sound this combination offers. My source has been a PS3 / Streaming services using IPAD all this while which was not the best source.

I think its high time I upgrade my set up and currently window shopping , I've narrowed down on

Loud Speakers : Klipsch Heresy IV [Love the Transparent Sound, Its Open & Loud, & yes the vintage design]

Need your advice on the electronics . What would be a good amp to power the Heresy's. I read the Heresy's love the Tube & the listening room uses Prima Luna as far as I remember. Does it have to be a Tube Amplifiers ?

Also some suggestion on Network Streamer would be good. Reading all good stories of the CXN V2.

Thank you for your expert advice here

Also consider the Forte if you are looking at the klipsch. You must go with a powerful tube amp (40 to 60W). Try and go woth a kt120 tube amp like the rogue audio or an EL34 based one. The klipsch vintage series doesn't sound right on ss amps IMHO. There maybe some exceptions to this but I tried the Forte and heresy with 3 different ss amps and all made the bass sound off. You will also need some distance between you and the speaker. Like 10 to 12 feet would be ideal for the drivers to integrate. These speakers are coloured and sound very nice on older material like Aretha Franklin and other blues stuff. Maybe good for 70s and 80s rock but I wouldn't consider this speaker if youre listening to audiophile cds like stockfisch etc. It's strengths are fluidity, dynamics and sounding open. Not sound staging imaging frequency response etc. So make sure you hear them well before you buy them.

(Disclaimer: Not an expert)

Been reading lots of good things about Heresy IV. It seems like a significant improvement on and might appeal to a broader set of users than the III. In this price range (unlike at entry level) it’s better to go with speakers (also components) that do a few things (that matter most to you) exceedingly well than with those that do everything reasonably well. And surely you’d have assessed that about the Heresy IV. Only ensure the room size and listening distance factors that @audiopro has pointed out. Also with him on tube amps for Klipsch Heritage series.

As for CXN, I am an advocate and happy user. But with the kind of chain you are building, its DAC won’t do justice. Consider some R2R options (there are some threads on it). You can then opt for something like BlueSound Node purely as streamer and save about 40k.

I did an upgrade last year after 10yrs ( used a ca650A and mA m6 with ps3). After lot of research and demos (ma silver, b&w, image, klipsch sixes) zeroed in on AudioNote. Started with a budget of 4-5 L and ended up crossing 6L and now almost 10L with order on new TT.
So my Current setup basically is
AudioNote AZ3 speakers
AudioNote OTO PP integrated amp
Chord qutest dac
Allo Usbridge (was previously using Rpi+hifiberry digi pro+)
rega rp1 plus (have now order AudioNote TT1 deluxe and Graham Slee era V phono)
Interconnect Cables are from DH labs UsA
Speaker cables from Audio note

Give AudioNote a try its different

(Disclaimer: Not an expert)

Been reading lots of good things about Heresy IV. It seems like a significant improvement on and might appeal to a broader set of users than the III. In this price range (unlike at entry level) it’s better to go with speakers (also components) that do a few things (that matter most to you) exceedingly well than with those that do everything reasonably well. And surely you’d have assessed that about the Heresy IV. Only ensure the room size and listening distance factors that @audiopro has pointed out. Also with him on tube amps for Klipsch Heritage series.

As for CXN, I am an advocate and happy user. But with the kind of chain you are building, its DAC won’t do justice. Consider some R2R options (there are some threads on it). You can then opt for something like BlueSound Node purely as streamer and save about 40k.

The Forte is more fluid across the entire spectrum. Heresy is more direct like a stage monitor. Drier and hits harder. Then there is the size difference. I would say Aretha Franklin would sound better on the Forte where as led zeppelin would sound better on the Hersey. Also because the Hersey is shorter it's thrown is very different from the Forte which according to me would be easier to position provided you have a decent sized room.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back