Upgraditis - Need to buy a new Projector

canchi

Hi All,
Have been going through the threads in the forum on a HD PJ. Have narrowed it down to the Optoma HD20 (795$). But I have a problem - My current PJ (LG LED) is on a shelf approx 6.5 feet from the ground and I have had to angle the PJ (as in pic) and apply keystone correction. Am not planning a ceiling mount for the new PJ.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

My screen, a manual pull-down, starts within a foot of the ceiling (see pic), and measures 10 ft x 8ft. The screen is approx 15 ft in distance from the PJ. What sort of throw can I get from the new PJ? I suppose I would need to angle the optoma downwards as I have my LED PJ and apply keystone correction?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Any other PJ that would fit the bill? My budget is 75k INR, flexible , will import the PJ from the US ( hand carried by a friend who is coming here next mth).
Forum members , pl advise !

The HD20 has very limited placement flexibility, limited zoom range and no lens shift- so you are correct in needing keystone- if you place it on the shelf as shown.

An option is to flip your shelf over and mount your projector underneath the flipped over shelf- Since you are in Blore- drop me a note and I can show you what I mean

Look at the epson range(8350,8500UB) in the US... Both have Lens Shift & have better PQ than the Optima HD20... 8350 is $900 & 8500UB is $1200 on the epson USA store, though the 8500UB is out of stock at the moment... Alternately u could adjust the height of the shelf & place the projector upside down... This is something that FM Santy has done with his HD66...

An option is to flip your shelf over and mount your projector underneath the flipped over shelf- Since you are in Blore- drop me a note and I can show you what I mean
Flipping the shelf- now what is that ?! Will pm you, mate!
Cheers

already suggested by rajadeep and thtpro..a cheaper and simpler method is ...if the well does not come to you..you go to the well for quenching your thirst..:)
call a carpenter or cement mistry and make arrangements in wall for perfect positioning of the shelf according to your screen mid point.

edit-this method is keeping the pj not flipped.off course flipping is also option as suggested by others

Last edited:
Canchi,

You have mounted the projector on the wall like you would as a table top. When its mounted high, every projector needs to be mounted upside down, unless the projector has very generous lens shift like 100% lens shift. So, take that into consideration.

For long term, I would suggest look for wall mounts which will allow you to mount the projector upside down. something like this For only $52.68 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Sliding/Tilting Wall Mount Bracket for Projector (Max 22Lbs) - Black | Wall Mount Projector Mounts

Update: several response above by the time I typed. Just go with any option, including flipping the shelf.

Am now looking at Optoma hd23 instead of hd20, has brighter lamp (2500 lumens). A search revealed some complaints of it bring too bright and the blacks become grey. Does anybody here own a hd23? What are your opinions ? Getting it from Amazon for $826.

Mine is Hd20 too, ceiling mounted. If you can control your room light, then PQ is excellent. Semi dark(if its dark not near the screen area), its still ok. But if light is close to screen, then it'll be disappointing.

Fixing to the ceiling is the best. You can get it done with any carpenter. Try getting the mount from amazon too.

I think you may not be able to mount the projector to the ceiling without keystone, if you cannot bring down the screen.

As per the Calculator for HD20/33 , at 15 feet distance, you can get a projection of 126" diagnoal. But you must mount it such that the centre of the lens is 10" above the top of the screen and I dont think you have that much space above the screen top. You could some short mount like this but still you may need keystone correction.

If this is confirmed, then I would recommend to raise the existing shelf to the desired height and place your pj upside-down (HD20 top surface is quite flat) to get the right projection without using keystone.

In my room, there's an attic above the head and my projector sits comfortably on it. Fortunately it is exactly at same height as it should be, avoiding a need for a mount and/ or keystone correction.

If there is more light near the screen area then it is better to replace the light with lesser glow.

V.

Mine is Hd20 too, ceiling mounted. If you can control your room light, then PQ is excellent. Semi dark(if its dark not near the screen area), its still ok. But if light is close to screen, then it'll be disappointing.

Thanks all. Based on your feedback, I have ordered the Optoma HD20 for $796 on Amazon. Will be ceiling mounting the PJ with this mount or the other that Santy suggested. Both have short lengths and I should be able to avoid "keystoning".:D
Cheers

The eagle has landed. Need to go over and collect the HD20 and find out the damages re: indian customs!
Just cross checked the amazon website and damn :mad: the price has dropped by a 100$ !
Now this is one hell of a sweet deal for this PJ folks !
Cheers

dont amazon show the price including all at final order page??.sorry i have zero idea...
so now from aho will you collect..any courier comapny??
thanks

dont amazon show the price including all at final order page??.sorry i have zero idea...
so now from aho will you collect..any courier comapny??
thanks
Sorry, wasn't clear, seeing the whole thread would have clarified matters though.Bought the hd20 20 days ago on amazon, has been hand carried by a friend who has landed here today. WhenI bought it , the price was 796$ now the price is 688$ !
Go figure !
Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back