Upgraditis or finer tastes? What Can I Change to?

abracher9

I have a Marantz CD5003+Norge 1000+Wharfedale 9.6 in addition to Logitech Squeezebox+Topping TP20+JBL Control 1.
Now I find that I don't want LOUD / powerful sound (Norge+Wharf) but more of Clear sound, good soundstage. Please give suggestions to replace the entire two setups with one comprehensive set. I listen to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, mostly rock, sometimes country, jazz etc.

Yeah, I went through the same mental process. Wanted big/loud then started craving for better quality sound instead of a wall of sound.

I believe the first step I took was understanding the quality of sound my mind likes. Based on that I did my own research and went through 2 setups till I ended up with the setup I have presently (which is not perfect at all for me, but it's close to what I imagine I want my sound to sound like)

Since you live in ncr, why not drop in at my place in gurgaon? there are other FM's in delhi aswell with good gear like malvai and avidyarthy. Drop in and hear our setups and pay a visit to denny's to audition more stuff.

It'll help you get an idea of what kind of sound you prefer. After that you can set a budget and sell your gear and consolidate into one.

Last edited:
Please give suggestions to replace the entire two setups with one comprehensive set.

I listen to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, mostly rock, sometimes country, jazz etc.

Have you relocated to Delhi? Back from the north-western front?

Your music taste is pretty muck like mine, though, I also hear a lotta Hindustani / Western classical vocals as well as Instrumental.

Yes, Core is right ... you would need to listen to a few 'ready' systems to come to a conclusion as to what exactly you are seeking in the SQ department. Each speaker / speaker-amp combination would sound different, and hearing out the ready ones is the easiest way out to take an informed decision.

Not relocated yet, but will soon. And then I wan't need two setups, probably. So I intend to take my Norge, and Wharf(maybe Topping + JBLs) off (Continue with CD5003 and SBT as source) and get a smaller but neater setup

Keeping your current two sources intact, you may look at two options:

- a SS "bright" integrated amp (say, within 100W/ch) + Hari's Krypton BS transmission line speakers with kevlar drivers.
- Virenji's SET 2A3 tube integrated amp + his new horn Petite speakers (if your budget permits). I had heard its 'almost' similar prototype a few months ago, and the current version is better of what I am told.

I was thinking on those lines. Amps that I'm considering:
Cambridge Audio
Marantz PM5003/6003 not necessarily in that order.

Speakers :
None. suggestions welcome.

I have a Marantz CD5003+Norge 1000+Wharfedale 9.6 in addition to Logitech Squeezebox+Topping TP20+JBL Control 1.
Now I find that I don't want LOUD / powerful sound (Norge+Wharf) but more of Clear sound, good soundstage. Please give suggestions to replace the entire two setups with one comprehensive set. I listen to Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, mostly rock, sometimes country, jazz etc.

Room plays a major part. I suggest first improving the placements of your speakers and listening chair. Next address any issues that your room might be having. Usually it's the excess of standing waves that makes the music sound loud and muddled.

I too recommend Hari Iyers Transmission line bookshelf speakers with paper cone at INR 25k. Good value for money. You can probably even ask him to match the veneer as per request of your decor.

Read through the Krypton thread completely. Guess its better to wait for my next Delhi trip and do an audition of existing combos before taking the plunge..

You can consider replacing your floorstanders with high quality bookshelf speakers. That will give you the kind of sound you are looking for. You can then decide the amp that will best work with the speakers if you think your current amp will not suffice.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back