UPS/Inverter - Online/Line Interactive - PureSinewave/Others !!! Confused !!!

ukjeyaraj

Hi All,

Looking for a power backup exclusively for the HT system. Items involved are Projector, AVR, HTPC

All I want is a reliable power backup for 15 minutes to safely shutdown everything in case of power outage. I went through many threads in our forum and also in web and still unable to identify what is really required.

Is Pure sinewave a must?

Will inverter suit the need?

Is online UPS only reliable solution?

Kindly give your suggestions.

There are actually very detailed active threads on the topic you want information on. It also has specific model details. APC and Emerson are something you need to be looking at.

Last edited:
When I had a dedicated HT, I used an APC BR1000-IN 1 KVA Line Interactive UPS (this one: Country Selection Page) for 4 years without a single issue or damages to anything. Components connected to it were - Panasonic projector, Yamaha AVR, Sony BDP, and HTPC.

There are actually very detailed active threads on the topic you want information on. It also has specific model details. APC and Emerson are something you need to be looking at.

I have already mentioned that I have gone through threads in our forum.

When I had a dedicated HT, I used an APC BR1000-IN 1 KVA Line Interactive UPS (this one: Country Selection Page) for 4 years without a single issue or damages to anything. Components connected to it were - Panasonic projector, Yamaha AVR, Sony BDP, and HTPC.

Thanks for the affirmative posting. Some of the vendors and even few of our forum members have told that there is a chance for projector getting switched off before the change over time in the line interactive topology. Precisely for this reason recommended online ups only.

However one of the UPS vendors told that projector has capacitor that will help and give power during the change over time. I am not sure about this statement and vendor's knowledge on the projector.

best way to go is to get a Double conversion, "always" online, sine wave UPS

Please refer the reply given to Mr. Aashish..

Since UPS/inverter power to an AVR voids the warranty of Marantz/Denon AVR's, you may best be served with Digi200 V-guard voltage stabilizer for the AVR which has line noise elimination capability.
A 1 KVA online UPS would be sufficient for the projector (most of the projectors consume around 300w in operation but may consume upto 600w during the start-up). APC, Liebert, Techser, Luminous are some of the brands you can look at. APC is the costliest.
For the sub-woofer, also have a 5A /15A compatible voltage stabilizer.

Mind you, none of these can protect your equipment from a direct lightning (so rare occurence) or indirect lightning strike (you need to get MOV based Type 1 surge arresters at the main panel if possible, otherwise Type 2 SPD's at the distribution panel and Type 3 SPD's at individual points of entry for every equipment you are trying to protect are required.
Type 1 or Type 2 SPD's may cost you around 5k-15k per arrester depending on the current discharge ratings (go for atleast 20 KA rating as well as clamping voltage rating). ABB (hard to obtain), Cirprotec, Dehn, Phoenix Contact, Indelec India, Obo Bettermann, JMV are some of the brands you can look at.
Type 3 SPD's. As cheap as 700-800 and upto 3000 per SPD. HPL has a good surge protector and costs 1000 i believe.

It all depends on the risk you are willing to put up with. 99% of the time nothing will happen but the 1% is for chance event.

Last edited:
I use the following setup at home. Not that it is the ideal combination but i just happened to add stuff over time and ended up with the current setup. But it works very well for me.
1. I have a 1 KVA Microtek sine wave UPS for the entire home. This UPS has a button in the back which tells at what voltage range the UPS kicks in. If you flip it up, then it kicks in as soon as it detects small voltage fluctuations. I flip it up when i use the HT, because of which the equipment function without restart. I had flipped it up all the time earlier but the UPS went kaput after a year or so due to frequent switchovers ( i got a replacement )
2. I have a V Guard Digi 200 stabilizer for all of my HT except projector. This takes care of voltage stabilization.
3. My projector has dedicated 1.1 KVA online UPS from APC ( APC Back-UPS 1100, 230V, BS546A, without auto shutdown software, India|APC ). Like someone above said, i got a 600 VA APC but it couldn't survive the projector startup. I exchanged it for 1.1 KVA. I really did not "need" this as the home UPS was kicking in fast enough for my projector to not restart, but i had to buy a stabilizer and just went with this one which does stabilization and power backup.

Thanks sash.

However one doubt.. The model APC-BR1100CI-IN mentioned in your post is a line interactive model (as per APC site) and not an online UPS. Is the model number correct?

Thanks sash.

However one doubt.. The model APC-BR1100CI-IN mentioned in your post is a line interactive model (as per APC site) and not an online UPS. Is the model number correct?
I'm not sure at this point, i'll check and update later today

the best way to go is with a pure sine wave ups. there is an audible difference (and from what ive read visual difference in video) over a modified sine wave. it depends on the level of your system. if its high end then go for pure sine wave.

if ups states that its sine wave, then in all probability it is modified. if you want pure sine wave, ensure that they specify it in the details

Finally settled for a) APC BR1100CI-IN UPS and b) V-guard Digi 200 Stabilizer. Tested by switching off the AC Input and found the UPS to be holding well. I will use for some time and if need arise may go for further change or upgrade.

doesnt the APC have its own inbuilt stabilizer? by adding the v guard you are only decreasing the power supply quality

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back