UPS Suggestions Required

ukjeyaraj

Hi All,

I am planning to buy UPS for my AV devices. Following are the devices with its power rating (all in watts).

Code:
AVR------->   200
AMP------->   200
Projector-->  250
XBOX------>   150
PC--------->  400
Subwoofer->   140
Total------> 1340

What kind of UPS would you recommend? What should be the rating?

Thanks in advance

Hi,

I am using APC RC2000 (2KVA) online UPS which has pure sine wave output (double conversion) with built in battery. It also gives me around 90 min + back up when I listen music at reasonable volume. The only issue is that the fan noise and therefore you will have to install it away from listening area. Highly recommended ..

Regards
Venu

^
its spec says 865W and it si line interactive means not the best protection for your hardware

similar situation i found 2kva online above my budget what i did was use a low cost line interactive ups for the pc which is less important.(smps comes with long warranty, i got it replaced under warranty),

and use an online double conversion ups for other costly and costly to repair items like projector and HTIB,that way you get 600W out of your 1350w total hence able to make do with a 1kva online system for more strategic equipments

Ukjeyaraj,

I did survey > 6 months before I bought what I have! Same/similar UPS are used by at least half a dozen FMs whom I know and also by AP. As the other FM suggested, the model you have mentioned is not best suited for the application. You can go ahead with SURT/RC series from APC or similar from other manufacturers.

Venu

Hi, Sorry for hijacking this Thread. I have been using APC SUA 1500 UPS for sometime now, is it a good UPS or should I change? I don't have any issues but since the battery needs changing thinking if this is good enough UPS.

APC SUA1500 1500VA 980W 120V Smart UPS Power Backup Tower USB NEW Batteries | eBay

Also does connecting to UPS affect sound quality? For last couple of weeks I have disconnected the UPS and I feel connecting directly to power via a spike buster is producing much better sound quality. I am not an audiophile may be its just in my head. I connecting to Denon 2313 with polk tower,center and surround, PCH A210, Samsung LED TV, PS3, Pana BD Player, Tata Sky HD and my DIY NAS server...

Thanks

Yes. I have been using the same model since Jan 13 and it only improved sound quality in addition to give protection and back up...

Venu
I see you are in BLR, so a few questions I'm hoping you can help with:

1. How much did this cost and which dealer did you review / buy it from (PM please if you don't want to post this info' publicly).?

2. I notice IEC sockets on back so I wonder if you are running other loads such as lighting, fan etc. on it too or is it just A/V equipment only.

3. From the image on the website, I see what looks like network ports on the rear of the unit. Is this network accessible/manageable?

4. This is an online UPS so it's the best option, however every electrician I speak to indicates power consumption goes up as compared to line interactive / inverters. True??

TIA.

Last edited:
Yes. I have been using the same model since Jan 13 and it only improved sound quality in addition to give protection and back up...

Venu

I see you are in BLR, so a few questions I'm hoping you can help with:

1. How much did this cost and which dealer did you review / buy it from (PM please if you don't want to post this info' publicly).?

2. I notice IEC sockets on back so I wonder if you are running other loads such as lighting, fan etc. on it too or is it just A/V equipment only.

3. From the image on the website, I see what looks like network ports on the rear of the unit. Is this network accessible/manageable?

4. This is an online UPS so it's the best option, however every electrician I speak to indicates power consumption goes up as compared to line interactive / inverters. True??

TIA.

If you don't mind, I had a couple of questions to add:

5. Are you using multiple equipment per IEC output (via power strip), or are you using only one piece of equipment per IEC outlet?

6. Since you're keeping the UPS far away from your listening area, I'm guessing you have many long power cords leading from the equipment to the UPS. Am I right?

7. Are you using the model with batteries built-in, or are you using the model with external batteries (I saw a slim one like that for India)? If you are using an external battery, could you mention what capacity?

Sorry for so many questions, Venu. I'm seriously considering a 2KVA Online UPS for my gear too :)

This is true. An online UPS first converts incoming AC into DC and then converts it back. This is not a 100% efficient process, hence power consumption is somewhat higher than under a line interactive UPS

Hi all,

1. My buying price was INR 37800.00 for this UPS and for a home inverter 850VA without battery in jan 2013. I will not recommend the same dealer as he behaved very arrogantly to a friend whom I have recommended.
2. Output connection: in addition to the IEC socket, they have provided a screw terminal (below the IEC socket) and I use 3x2.5mm finolex cable terminated with Mr.Murthy's extension box which is kept near the audio rack.
3. Network connectivity: never tried.
4. Battery: I opted for the basic model with built in battery which gives 15 min (not sure now) back up on full load.
5. Cabinet: this is the newer version and earlier they had the SURT series ( I think the SURT series is still available at higher ratings) which used to be slim and silent. I have seen that slimmer version with Square Wave and with AP.
6. Power consumption: I haven't noticed any difference and I switch on the UPS when required (during listening) and some weekends and holidays it is continuously kept on including the audio gear except the power amps.
7. Equipment connected: only audio gear (not even TV)

I do also have an APC home inverter which takes care the lights, fans and TV

In addition to protection and back up, I do notice a dead silent (black) background which is an additional benefit and my experience at different occasion with different experts proved that instead of investing very high end power chords, invest on a good UPS.

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT HAVE ANY ASSOCIATION WITH APC OR ANY OTHER UPS MANUFACTURER!

thanks
Venu

as per OP's quest I had suggested APC UPS..so gvenu dont take responsibility on you:D

I dont know the exact reason, but PRO-AUDIO professionals have recommended me Constant Voltage Transformer- for Noise elimination , prevention of spikes and for better voltage regulation. May be you can search on the net for CVTs.

Back