Urgent : Has anyone imported any AV gear in last 1 week

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

I am posting this as an urgent post reason being, one of my parcel is with DHL express and due for custom clearance today. DHL has sent me a receipt of their own including their handling charges and rate of import duty.

DHL has quoted 77.28% rate including 28% GST on total value (Cost + duty)

I just want to confirm with you guys that is it possible at all? A link was shared recently in Crazy import duty thread, This rate applies to gifts not personal imports as per Bangalore Customs website.

Your help suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks
Vivek

Hi
I imported a Power Amp and paid 38% duty.
It was delivered last week.
I had appointed a clearing agent for getting it passed through customs.
Thanks

Hi Guys

I am posting this as an urgent post reason being, one of my parcel is with DHL express and due for custom clearance today. DHL has sent me a receipt of their own including their handling charges and rate of import duty.

DHL has quoted 77.28% rate including 28% GST on total value (Cost + duty)

I just want to confirm with you guys that is it possible at all? A link was shared recently in Crazy import duty thread, This rate applies to gifts not personal imports as per Bangalore Customs website.

Your help suggestion would be of great help.

Thanks
Vivek
i have the same issue with fedex. i am still disputing it. that rate of 77% is applicable only if you do not show proof of payment. I had imported much high value items earlier in the monthh and was charged 42%.

the template is the BCD which was 10% if there is proof of payment and 35% if none. 10% some other charge (which I have forgotten) and iGST as per applicable rates for the item. (would be either 18% or 28%). each of these are cascading. so GST is on import price CIF plus duty.

hope you dispute too

i have the same issue with fedex. i am still disputing it. that rate of 77% is applicable only if you do not show proof of payment. I had imported much high value items earlier in the monthh and was charged 42%.

the template is the BCD which was 10% if there is proof of payment and 35% if none. 10% some other charge (which I have forgotten) and iGST as per applicable rates for the item. (would be either 18% or 28%). each of these are cascading. so GST is on import price CIF plus duty.

hope you dispute too
Exact same thing. I have been told that the custom duty has increased after budget but that not true entirely. I am not going to pay this. I will better return or better see if another CHA can help.

If you return won’t you be paying shipping for both ways? Normally the seller doesn’t refund the shipping cost.

Hi
Thanks
If you return won’t you be paying shipping for both ways? Normally the seller doesn’t refund the shipping cost.
That's right, but will be cheaper than pay 25% extra duty

Exact same thing. I have been told that the custom duty has increased after budget but that not true entirely. I am not going to pay this. I will better return or better see if another CHA can help.
The budget is yet to be passed and will come into force post April 1st , 2020.

Even if you decide to return it, DHL might still bill you for custom handling charges. A friend of mine had to pay in the past when he returned an item.

hope you dispute too
Have you already paid the duty as per FedEx? What's next then?

The seller has to declare invoice to dhl and fill correct forms while doing the shipping. Somehow dhl is thinking you are importing as a gift rather than a purchase.

Draft an application to the Asstt Commissioner Customs who is incharge for the duty evaluation requesting for a re-evaluation . Please submit the purchase proof along with it.

It will take some time but it is usually assessed correctly. Inform DHL also.

Hi
Thanks
Hi

I just spoke to DHL and quoted your case. Was your shipment in an individual's name or company name? Will it be possible to share your bill of entry with me?

Thanks.

I imported as an individual . I do have an IEC though.
Just sent a pm to you.

nope. Both the seller and I are contesting.
So whats the status now? where is your parcel?

DHL is treating my parcel under HS code 98049000 that has BCD of 36% + 10% of BCD and then (CIF + BCD + 10% of BCD ) *28 % GST = 77.28 % net rate.

Aren’t all items for personal use also subject to 77% duty? Items for personal use come under a particular HS code which falls under the 77% duty bracket

Aren’t all items for personal use also subject to 77% duty? Items for personal use come under a particular HS code which falls under the 77% duty bracket
Yes that HS code is 98049000. Now DHL is saying if I have IEC, then they can change the HS code as per the nature of goods. I don;t have IEC though. Its easy to appy online but not sure how long it will take to arrive.

Will there be any penalty if custom clearance is delayed beyond 3 days? I have been told there will be in case I apply for IEC now?

Check with DHL. AFAIK, there is a daily fine of Rs 5000, if held beyond 3 days. At least that’s what the customs clearance agent told me

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back