Urgent help needed in buying a 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos set up in a budget of 80k.

Deerajgowda

I am very new to the hifi world and it's been very confusing on what to buy. my main priorities are
1. build to last set up
2. good support if something goes wrong
3. will be mainly used for movies rather than music
I would be really helpful if you guys could answer which set of equipment I should buy. thank you.

Have increased the budget to 1 lakh.
This is the present research that I have done and collated these options,
please go through them and let me know which combo works the best and if you have any new additions to it.

1) Receivers :

Yamaha RX-V585 7.2 atmos 80 watts 48,750 oober pad
Pioneer VSX-834 7.2 atmos 155 watts ₹39,120 hifimart
DENON AVR-X1500H 7.2 atmos 80 watts ₹39,999 hifimart
PIONEER VSX-933 AVR 7.2 atmos 135 watts 51,000 revolver club
Denon AVR-X2400H 7.2 atmos 125 watts 49,999 hifimart
Pioneer VSX-934 7.2 atmos 160 watts ₹46,320 hifimart

2) Speaker sets :

Polk Audio T50 Fusion Speaker Set : 42,900 audiomaxx
Front Speaker 150W
Center Speaker 100W
Surround Speaker 150W

Pioneer S-RS88TB tower : 32,215 oober pad
Front Speaker 150W
Center Speaker 120W
Surround Speaker 120W

taga Harmony TAV-606 V.3 30,000 hifimart
Front Speaker 20-120W
Center Speaker 20-100W
Surround Speaker 20-100W

Pure Acoustics Spark - Speaker Package 42,000.00 avstore
Front Speaker 200W
Center Speaker 140W
Surround Speaker 140W

3) Standing speakers :

Yamaha NS-8390 70 W - 220 W 18,889 oober pad
Polk Audio T50 60 rms 150w peak 22,500 avstore

4) center speaker :

Polk Audio TL2 Blackstone 125w 9,900 audiomaxx
Polk Audio T3 100w 9,500 avstore
Wharfedale Atlantic GE 150 w 9,750 hifimart
Taga Harmony PLATINUM C-90 SL 120w hifimart

5) Surround speakers :

Polk Audio T15 20 watts → 100 watts 10,000 avstore
JBL C1PRO Control One Pro 11,000 audiomaxx
TAGA Harmony TAV-806S 8,720 hifimart

6) Sub woofer :

Yamaha NS-SW050 Active Subwoofer 8 Inch 50 W rms 11,599 avstore
Yamaha NS-SW100 10 inch 17,499 avstore
Polk Audio DSW PRO 440wi 180-watt 21,900 audiomaxx
Polk Audio PSW-10 50-watt RMS 17,499

7) Atmos speakers :

The JBL Arena 6IC 80 watts RMS 12,000 avstore
Polk Audio RC60i. 20-100 Watts 13,9000 audiomaxx
Klipsch CS16C-II 40w Rms / 160w Peak 13,700 audiomaxx

Hi Deeraj, welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest that you go a little slow on the entire setup. One and a half years back I was almost in a similar situation like you. I have adhered to the suggestions by senior members here - to concentrate on the front 3 first. Rears and heights can be added later - gradually. It was a good decision. You can consider the following options.

1. Get the Denon x1500h receiver. You are left with 60k. You will get good options from Dali(Spector) and Q Acoustics(30** series) in this range. A pair of Spector bookshelf and Center will cost you around 40k. Get the Yamaha NSW300 Subwoofer at 30k. You might need to stretch your budget a bit but you will get a very good 3.1 setup to begin with. Add the rear speakers as and when situation permits.

2. If you are open to floor standing speakers, get the following.
You can add a decent center channel and rear speakers with the remaining 40k. This way, you can have a good 5.0 setup. If you feel the need, then add a Subwoofer later. But don't go with subs lower in the pricing hierarchy.

3. Have a look at the following setup and add Denon x2400h.

Something like this may fit into your budget with discounts

Have heard good reviews of ELAC (no personal exp though) same for BS22 which is good VFM.

I personally would recommend going slow and building gradually. You can start with AVR+2.0/2.1/3.0 based on your budget and get higher quality components.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

If your budget permits, take a good AVR and front & center speakers first. You can add one by one later and I suggest you avoid speaker packages. You can consider also Pioneer VSX-LX303.

U need 4 components.
Amp - Go for pioneer 934.It is uptodate 2019 model except for eARC. Should hold good for the next 5-6 years. Similar denon marantz are 2600h/5014 which are around 10 extra.
Subwoofer - 20 - 30 k range polk dsw 440i / yamaha nsw300. u freeze on the sub size 8" or 10" now and buy so that when u get a better subwoofer later on the present ine can continue as a second sub in the setup.
Speakers - Taga harmony entry level 5.0 setup 25-30 k. or similar
Now it is 5.1
Now left out is atmos spk. If u r going to fix in ceiling buy them and make it 5.1.2.if it is going to be on wall, wait till u r ready to upgrade ur L/R speakers later on. U can move the present speakers as atmos or surround setup.7.1 or 5.1.2.
Dts virtual x/ dolby atmos height virtualiser tech will provide atmos effects even without atmos speakers.

Let us b clear. Once the home theatre bug bites, no one settles with their existing setup and upgrades are always there. The above setup gives everything immediately plus the option of upgrades down the line and making use of ur present purchases later on too.

Cheers

Try to buy the speakers used if you want to buy a system that is built to last in that budget. Buy the LCR first but since its primarily for movies I'd pay a lot of attention to a good sub when you do buy - used SVS, BIC, etc. A good quality centre is also important since 60-70% of sound often comes from them for non action films. As others have said build slow but buy quality components.

The amp is where typically stuff can go wrong and makes sense to buy with warranty if you want to be cautious and since this is your first such purchase.

Last edited:
Hi Deeraj, welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest that you go a little slow on the entire setup. One and a half years back I was almost in a similar situation like you. I have adhered to the suggestions by senior members here - to concentrate on the front 3 first. Rears and heights can be added later - gradually. It was a good decision. You can consider the following options.

1. Get the Denon x1500h receiver. You are left with 60k. You will get good options from Dali(Spector) and Q Acoustics(30** series) in this range. A pair of Spector bookshelf and Center will cost you around 40k. Get the Yamaha NSW300 Subwoofer at 30k. You might need to stretch your budget a bit but you will get a very good 3.1 setup to begin with. Add the rear speakers as and when situation permits.

2. If you are open to floor standing speakers, get the following.
You can add a decent center channel and rear speakers with the remaining 40k. This way, you can have a good 5.0 setup. If you feel the need, then add a Subwoofer later. But don't go with subs lower in the pricing hierarchy.

3. Have a look at the following setup and add Denon x2400h.

I too have almost the same requirement as original poster.

How is the combo of DX2 and X1400H?

Will add Atmos speakers at later stage

I am yet to have an audition of any HT setup to arrive at a reference point

Hi Deeraj / Swagat

I had the same dilemma 4 years ago when building my first HTS. Wanted to go for the cheapest 5.1 HTS system for an even more moderate budget (Atmos wasn't big back then). However, as I went auditioning around shops in Bangalore, I realized the importance of going for a good AVR + 2.0 first. After months of online research and auditioning, I got a Denon 520BT and Elac B5. It was the best combo I could get for 60k back then. I cherished the system for 3 full years before adding a sub and center. The Denon and Elacs have worked flawlessly inspite of heavy usage and can recommend them from my experience.

My small take on your system would be to get :
1. Denon X1600H - 58k - I recommend Denon because they update they are still one of those companies who is invested in manufacturing AVRs - they release new AVRs every year and keep updating them with latest electronics. To compare, Yamaha and Sony haven't released AVRs since 2018. Also, FWIW Denon also owns Marantz which has been famous for its stereo amps. Also I would urge you to resist the temptation of getting older electronics - even something as small like lack of eARC could start bothering you in some time.
2. Elac B5.2 - 26k
3. Elac C5.2 - 22k

You can skip the subwoofer, surrounds and atmos height/ceiling speakers for now. Just enjoy the sound and keep upgrading as you go.

I agree with @adimax24, go for the fronts for now, add the surrounds and heights later. Denon X1600H is good fit for your budget. Elac Debut 5.2's are great choice. You can also look for Pioneer SP-FS52 as fronts and Pioneer SP-C22 as center.

Hi Deeraj / Swagat

I had the same dilemma 4 years ago when building my first HTS. Wanted to go for the cheapest 5.1 HTS system for an even more moderate budget (Atmos wasn't big back then). However, as I went auditioning around shops in Bangalore, I realized the importance of going for a good AVR + 2.0 first. After months of online research and auditioning, I got a Denon 520BT and Elac B5. It was the best combo I could get for 60k back then. I cherished the system for 3 full years before adding a sub and center. The Denon and Elacs have worked flawlessly inspite of heavy usage and can recommend them from my experience.

My small take on your system would be to get :
1. Denon X1600H - 58k - I recommend Denon because they update they are still one of those companies who is invested in manufacturing AVRs - they release new AVRs every year and keep updating them with latest electronics. To compare, Yamaha and Sony haven't released AVRs since 2018. Also, FWIW Denon also owns Marantz which has been famous for its stereo amps. Also I would urge you to resist the temptation of getting older electronics - even something as small like lack of eARC could start bothering you in some time.
2. Elac B5.2 - 26k
3. Elac C5.2 - 22k

You can skip the subwoofer, surrounds and atmos height/ceiling speakers for now. Just enjoy the sound and keep upgrading as you go.

I am still in the same dilemma. Thanks for the guidance.

Will try to explore some setups and audition.

Can anyone please suggest stores in Mumbai wherein audition can be done

I am still in the same dilemma. Thanks for the guidance.

Will try to explore some setups and audition.

Can anyone please suggest stores in Mumbai wherein audition can be done
Audition rooms are not functional in Mumbai during Covid time to eliminate risk of infection. Had tried a few places in Mumbai but no auditioning was happening.

So in short, it means it is not possible or recommended to get a decent entry level 5.1.2 setup in 100k? That is really disappointing.

You can setup a more than decent entry level setup at a budget of 1L if you go for HtiB based setups like Polk Tl1600, Elac Cinema series etc. I started with 2 HtiB setup one with Polk TL1600 (about 62k) and other being Phase Cinemicro (about 78k ,) setup , with the latter being slightly more expensive but much better than TL1600 in many aspects and could easily fill small to medium sized rooms with powerful sound.

I believe FMs are recommending to go for better individual components if possible which are up the ladder since it helps one to stay without upgrading for a longer period of time

You can setup a more than decent entry level setup at a budget of 1L if you go for HtiB based setups like Polk Tl1600, Elac Cinema series etc. I started with 2 HtiB setup one with Polk TL1600 (about 62k) and other being Phase Cinemicro (about 78k ,) setup , with the latter being slightly more expensive but much better than TL1600 in many aspects and could easily fill small to medium sized rooms with powerful sound.

I believe FMs are recommending to go for better individual components if possible which are up the ladder since it helps one to stay without upgrading for a longer period of time
So even for a medium sized bedroom, one needs to shell out considerably more than 100k for a decent 5.1.2 setup (outside of HTiBs)?

This hobby is expensive, sigh!

The moment you go outside of HtiB you are venturing into an expensive area since you are looking for an considerable upgrade over a current 70-75k setup so logically it will end up going beyond a lakh in most cases

The moment you go outside of HtiB you are venturing into an expensive area since you are looking for an considerable upgrade over a current 70-75k setup so logically it will end up going beyond a lakh in most cases
I mean, you can have a Atmos (up firing) enabled HTiB for 45k (HT 3072) or Soundbar setup (Sl8yg + SPK8-S surround kit) for 43k. So there should be a better option for 100k, or is that just wishful thinking?

For example, the OP suggested a good setup (1500h, taga harmony 606, sub and height speakers) at around 100k. Is this setup that bad that people are asking him to go slow and build in pieces?

So there should be a better option for 100k, or is that just wishful thinking?

During my initial audition days Harry, even the entry level AVR based setup sounded better than most expensive HTiB setup like HT3072 or Sony N9200. Atmos enabled soundbars are good, but they are no match for HTiBs in surrounds feeling. Now, there are many users of soundbar for its convenience or HTiB for ease of setup, but what works for you may not work for others.

I still feel, getting a good AVR plus the 5.0 speaker sets like Polk or ELAC is a good starting point for a good sounding HT setup. You'd need to add a good sub and you'll be better then many HTiBs already and this will cost around 100k.

Post a certain budget, the law of diminishing return starts to apply. So increase in budget doesn't necesarily result in increase in quality. Now that acceptable delta increase totally depends on the appetite of the person.

People suggest to build slowly (what I have done) to ensure you get the right quality that fit your budget. I started with Polks towers and AVR for 2 months before adding my center channel to it. Used these for 9 months before adding a sub and after 3 months of that, added surrounds.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back