***Urgent***Need advice on surge protector for LED TV

adityasp87

Hi,

I recently bought Samung LED TV 32EH5000. I moved into new house and connected it there in living room. Whenever I try to switch On/Off the fan, my TV's screen fluctates. This seems to be a serious issue of voltage fluctuation. I browsed through similar threads of this forum and found people suggesting online UPS or V guards, all are expensive. This is my first TV and I have never used stabilizer/surge protector before, so please spare my limited knowledge. Please suggest me a solution urgently as I did not dare to switch on TV since then :sad:

Also, please let me know if surge protectors can help me. I found out some affordable Belkin protectors as:
Belkin : Essential Series 8-Socket Surge Protector

And,
Belkin : Advanced Series 6-Socket Surge Protector

Don't want to spend more than 2k. Please suggest me ASAP.

Thanks in advance,
Aditya

Check the surge protectors from MX electronics, they have the same features and unlike belkin there are models with individual on/off switch for every socket..

I have been using MX surge protectors for the past 2 years and these are very good....

Thanks sunshine_vsk for your reply.
But I want to know if surge protectors are sufficient alone to avoid fluctuations or I need to couple them with any stabilizer?
I went through some of the MX models but could not find the exact one you are referring. It would be great if you can give me a link for the same.

Thanks in advance,
Aditya

a stab and surge in series is good if you do have vltage problem in your area

Hi prosenjit,
Yes, having both stab and surge in series would be the good combination. At the same time, I always used to wonder on what the order should be. For example,
order#1. MAIN->STAB->SURGE->TV
order#2. MAIN->SURGE->STAB-TV

With order#1, there are some surge protector brands which does not recommend this and so they offer no waranty in case of a problem due to a surge affecting the hi-fi equipments. Though ideally (and from technical point of view as well), this is the best order, but I do also see some logic in why the surge protector brands do not recommend this. The logic is - A surge protector requires a very good circuit loop back to the EARTH in case of a surge. The energy that will be dissipated to the EARTH point from the surge protector will be huge (though only momentarliy). So with order#1, the excess energy will be sent back from the surge protector to the EARTH point at the o/p socket of the stab. Now, if the STAB in turn has a very good circuit loop connecting it's EARTH point in its's o/p socket to the EARTH point at the MAIN, then there is no issue. So if the circuit connecting the EARTH of the STAB and the EARTH of the MAIN is good, then ideally things should work. What if this circuit loop within the stab is not designed to handle that energy ? So that's where the companies are not in favour of order#1. They don't even recommend connecting their surge from the UPS. They expect it to be connected directly with the MAIN.

With order#2, even this should work. Actually, the surges are generated from the outside/external power supply (say due to some short circuit of the 3 phase over head street wires or malfunctioning transformers on the roads). So they are externally generated and then enter the house supply system. In that case, having surge connected directly to the MAINS would help. Now - the question is - can the stab itself generate surge from with in (i.e surge not from external source) ? The probablity is less since only the external overhead street electric lines/transformers are vulnerable to short circuits due to winds/tree falling, etc. Any way, I am curious on how others choose among the above listed orders.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back