Urgent speaker & subwoofer wire cable questions

varunb

I am in a need of good speaker cable. The wire length needed for surround right cable = around 24-26 feet & surround left cable = around 32-34 feet.

Now should I go for 16 gauge wire or 14 gauge wire? Some forum posts are suggesting to go for 14 gauge whereas others are saying 16 gauge is fine. I am looking at the DAC cables (25 - 30m) listed on Hifimart's website. In case you need mroe details about the power impedance & output here's the link: Onkyo India

Secondly should I go for DAC ARSW23 subwoofer cable or the one priced lower?

Lastly can anyone suggest me a good wire stripper for 14 gauge wire?

Last edited:
I am using 18AWG QED cable for surround speakers (~ 30 -40 ft) and DAC cables for front speakers.

I would say go for 16 gauge wire. MX electronics also has some very good OFC cables and are value for money. Rest you should check online regarding the wire length and size criteria. When you increase the length of interconnect wore its internal resistance and capacitance will also change. Normally when you increase the length of the interconnect cable you should increase the diameter also (that is go for lower gauge wire) this is to keep the resistance same of the wire. This will also depend on the load of the system that is the resistance if the speakers, the wire resistance should be same as that of speaker.
If your. Speaker impedance is 4 ohms than you should use 14 awg for lengths more than 24 feet. For 8 ohms you should use 18 awg upto 32 feet.

Hi All,

My current HT setup is suboptimal with TV, receiver on side of my hall...project front speakers on other side..25 feet away.

Now I have written earlier also how my Amazon US best selling subwoofer is not performing that well..so I want to move it away from receiver and near my front speakers..

for this I need 25-30 feet of sub woofer cable...given that my existing setup of SW being only 4 feet from receiver is not sounding that good..will keeping it 25 feet away from receiver do it any good?

also when i check rca cable from google..its 1500 plus..are there cheaper cables for 3-400? dont want to spend a lot on something I am not even sure will work great

You can diy a subwoofer cable using coaxial cable which is shielded and soldering rca plugs on it. It can be build within rs. 300/- using fairly decent cable and plugs.

You can diy a subwoofer cable using coaxial cable which is shielded and soldering rca plugs on it. It can be build within rs. 300/- using fairly decent cable and plugs.
But it should be 75 ohms cable for better response.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back