Urgent: UK deal dilemma - Tannoy Mercury V1 or Wharfedale Diamond 10.1?

Clearly all things being unequal, what would you pick?

• Boston Acoustic XS 5.1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Tannoy Mercury V1

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

aShock

Hi,

I joined this forum recently, and was in the process of learning the intricacies of setting up a budget 5.1 audio set-up, within a very tight INR 40k.

My use is 50-50 mix of movies and music.
Think Matrix, LOTR meets U2 & Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.
I like to be hit by clear powerful sound; yeah, all this in 40k. ;)

Had almost finalised the Boston Acoustic Soundware XS 5.1 speaker system (20k), when a good friend said he's coming in from the UK in a week's time, and is willing to carry some speakers for me.

So I started looking at British made bookshelfs that:
i. Are cheap in the UK due to the local make,
ii. Are highly rated - good for music & movies,
iii. Can be the building blocks of a good future 5.1 system,
iv) Can fit in the friend's suitcase.

Now the new choices are (prices after conversion) {Local Indian store price}:
1) Tannoy Mercury V1 -- INR 8.5k {INR 16k}
2) Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 -- INR 13K {INR 24k}
3) Can these be used with an AVR (noob level question probably)
4) How do the above two speakers compare to the highly decorated BA XS 5.1?

Gurus, almost-gurus, please answer these 4 questions, as the friend leaves the UK on October 7th.
It's a wild rush, and he needs to order these asap.
Thanks a ton.

{And may God Bless you all with your dream sound systems soon. :)}

-ashok

Boston is good for movies but not too good for music. Which AVR is chosen and what is the room size? If possible try and have two setups (one for movies + one for music). In that case settle for Boston Acoustics soudware XS for movies. Save some more money and go for a separate stereo setup for music.

Where did you get the quote of Rs.20K for Boston Acoustics soundware xs. I think everywhere online it gets retailed for around Rs.25K. Alpha @ Irla, Mumbai is retailing the same for Rs.18.5K(i.e., around 3 weeks before), but only cash purchase (dont remember about warranty).

Thanks K Jeyaraj.

Boston price of 20K is also the Alfa @ Irla, Mumbai rate with bill and warranty. Without bill is 18k.

AVR most probably will be Yamaha RX 473 (INR 35K from Vijay Sales, still hunting for better deals.)

The L shaped room is around 260 square feet total. The seating and listening area of the hall is 18 X 12 feet (vertical longer leg of the 'L').
The horizontal shorter leg of the 'L' is 8 X 6 feet.
Do you reckon that these Boston speakers can cover this room well?

Also can I place bookshelves on the TV cabinet or do they essentially need stands?

Thanks again.

I am using Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 in my bedroom. The biggest plus point is the midrange. Vocals sound very sweet and pleasing. I have kept them on a wooden cabinet with rubber washers (like the ones used in taps) in between the two. One thing to keep in mind is that these speakers don't like to be placed near walls (especially rear wall).

Thanks K Jeyaraj.

Boston price of 20K is also the Alfa @ Irla, Mumbai rate with bill and warranty. Without bill is 18k.

AVR most probably will be Yamaha RX 473 (INR 35K from Vijay Sales, still hunting for better deals.)

The L shaped room is around 260 square feet total. The seating and listening area of the hall is 18 X 12 feet (vertical longer leg of the 'L').
The horizontal shorter leg of the 'L' is 8 X 6 feet.
Do you reckon that these Boston speakers can cover this room well?

Also can I place bookshelves on the TV cabinet or do they essentially need stands?

Thanks again.

I have got Yamaha 473 (US Model) with convertor for 26K from Mumbai....Yamaha makes good pair with Tannoy.....

I have got Yamaha 473 (US Model) with convertor for 26K from Mumbai....Yamaha makes good pair with Tannoy.....

That's a sweet deal, had my eyes on the Yamaha 473. Who's your dealer? Can you please share his contact details. Many thanks.

Hi,
I also have a Yamaha RX-473 and together with a Pioneer BDP-150K I am looking for a set of 5.0 speakers. So I've found these Tannoy Mercury V1, VC and VR set which look good enough.
My room is quite small, 13.4 square metres (about 10x11 feet) and the front and rear speakers I have no other option but to place them near the walls, very close to the corners. The rears will actually be hanged on the side walls and right in the corners. The listening position will be on a couch right against the back wall, between them

Do you think this receiver will be able to drive enough these speakers, and also, the sound won't be too bright?
And about the rear speakers - being wall mountable, do you think its better to mount them on the side walls (so facing my ears) or on the back wall, so facing the front speakers?

Thank you.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back