USB 3.0 PCI-E expansion card

Santy

Hi
I have run out of USB ports on my PC. The front panel stopped working so I am left with only 6. I earlier bought some 'Enter' USB 2.0 card but it wouldn't work on Win 8.

Anyone has any experience in successfully installing one on 8?
This is the only one I could find on ebay that clearly specifies Windows 8 compatibility, but I need to be sure:

Zebronic 4 Port PCI Express USB 3 0 Card With Bill Warranty | eBay

Any other option available for ordering online?

Hi
I have run out of USB ports on my PC. The front panel stopped working so I am left with only 6. I earlier bought some 'Enter' USB 2.0 card but it wouldn't work on Win 8.

Anyone has any experience in successfully installing one on 8?
This is the only one I could find on ebay that clearly specifies Windows 8 compatibility, but I need to be sure:

Zebronic 4 Port PCI Express USB 3 0 Card With Bill Warranty | eBay

Any other option available for ordering online?

instead of adding a PCI card for more slots.. why not buy a powered USB 3.0 hub. you get a lot of them at DX.com else locally and use it in front/as front usb's

I almost forgot about hubs. I am probably completely wrong here but if all devices work simultaneously won't it cause any bandwidth problems? I always thought its better to have dedicated channel for each port which are powered by a good quality PSU than some cheap AC-DC adapter. Also why not make use of internal USB 3.0 header or the empty PCIe slot. I am skewed towards front panel as I type this- its less cluttered too. Anyway, any recommendation on a decent quality powered USB 3.0 hub that's inexpensive?

I almost forgot about hubs. I am probably completely wrong here but if all devices work simultaneously won't it cause any bandwidth problems?
I suppose that depends on what you do with it, but I doubt it very much. I never remember numbers, but USB3 has Big Heap of Bandwidth!
I always thought its better to have dedicated channel for each port which are powered by a good quality PSU than some cheap AC-DC adapter. Also why not make use of internal USB 3.0 header or the empty PCIe slot.
I don't think you have a separate "channel" for every "port/socket" (I use quotes because I'm not sure of the correct words). If you look at your devices list you should be able to see how they are grouped. Even USB2.0 is giving you plenty of bandwidth for your DAC/Interface, but it does make sense not to put that on the same channel as, eg, a hard disk with the music on it. This is not so much from the bandwidth standpoint as from the interrupts standpoint.

I am skewed towards front panel as I type this- its less cluttered too. Anyway, any recommendation on a decent quality powered USB 3.0 hub that's inexpensive?

Equally, you could add extension-slot bracket to give you rear sockets, connecting to the USB headers on your mother board. I have two of these, two ports each. It's nice (just from the aesthetic standpoint) to keep front ports for occasional plugins like thumb drives and portable players/cameras/etc

On the bandwidth subject, I sometimes see the question, "why no USB3.0 audio interfaces?" The answer is always, "because USB2.0 has more than enough bandwidth [for multi-channel] and manufacturers will not invest in the upgrade." Actually, I think there are one or two USB3 interfaces.

Other factors are that Firewire is still very much alive in the semi/pro market, and Thunderbird is threatening the longevity of USB3 anyway. And isn't the yet another better, bigger, faster, cleverer iteration of USB on the way as well?

Audiophiles might drive a demand for USB3.0. Even the most dedicated subjectivists luuurve higher numbers in the specs ;)

Well if there are no problems with hub, I am going to keep it for my next upgrade as I already placed order for front panel ;) Damn, I have little patience when it comes to online purchases....

BTW, while a DAC and a hard disk for playing music both on powered hub might cause latency issues, I think copying from one hard disk to another could limit the transfer rate. Channel was a simplified word but I think each port has a separate controller and data transfer rate for each is fixed I think. Again, I don't know for sure.

But one thing I am sure is my DAC does not work on 3.0, wonder why they would call it 'fully' backward compatible.

Yes, I have to do more learning!

I don't know how the USB audio-class 1.00 and 2.00 works with USN2 and USB3?

Some time, I'll try my DAC on a USB3 port.

Well if there are no problems with hub, I am going to keep it for my next upgrade as I already placed order for front panel ;) Damn, I have little patience when it comes to online purchases....

BTW, while a DAC and a hard disk for playing music both on powered hub might cause latency issues, I think copying from one hard disk to another could limit the transfer rate. Channel was a simplified word but I think each port has a separate controller and data transfer rate for each is fixed I think. Again, I don't know for sure.

But one thing I am sure is my DAC does not work on 3.0, wonder why they would call it 'fully' backward compatible.

When I had the HRT Music Streamer II it worked on the USB 3.0 port, but I have not checked with my ODAC but I hope it should work.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back