USB Cable type AB recommendation

sidvee

I am on the lookout for a decent 1m USB cable (type AB) for computer audio. My budget is around 6k but can go higher upto 10k, if the SQ is positively impacted.
User experiences and opinions are welcome and solicited.
I am considering the Audioquest Carbon cable and higher in the AQ range as of now.
Cheers,
Sid

A USB cable is a USB cable. Do not spend any more money on it than you would to connect your scanner or your printer.

Please avoid the hifi-world scammers!

A USB cable is a USB cable. Do not spend any more money on it than you would to connect your scanner or your printer.

Please avoid the hifi-world scammers!

Interesting post Thad. Apparently like everything else in audio, there appears to be 2 camps. I just got done reading about users claiming that "jitter" is a factor in USB connections and different cables sound different with some claiming the Brand 'A' is audibly better:rolleyes:.
Wonder if anyone on the forum has done some comparisons.
Cheers
Sid

I'm sure they will have done, and I am sure they will have "heard" the difference!

I believe that we all hear the difference when we spend money (or time, or other psycho-acoustic triggers). Of course, often it is true too. I don't doubt (partly because it took me completely by surprise) that the difference I heard when I last replaced my amplifier was very real, on the other hand, I do seriously doubt that any difference, over and above that, that providing it with an expensive mains cable, was any more than wallet-influenced.

I do believe that there are likely to be many subtle differences in different analogue interconnects. I do not believe that long-established digital computer protocols benefit in any way from anything that differs from cables that are, simply, properly made according to the specification.

Last edited:
Headphones usually help differentiate subtle cable differences. I like well constructed cables with good materials. That's my minimum and perhaps only requirement! Personally I could never really hear any difference using different USB cables as mentioned here. Sometime back I borrowed a furutech USB cable (GT?) and still, nothing in particular was noted. A computer audiophile nutcase friend insists on me listening to USB cables from Locus Design. Too much for me to invest in a USB cable, but hey that's just me and who knows ymmv :)

Cheers.

Perhaps external hard disk might have been a better example than scanner or printer. Nobody minds too much wasting a sheet of paper (even though it rarely happens) but data to/from a hdd must be correct. Still, the same cable would do that. One could splash out on a brand name like Belkin, but even then, it's the name you're paying for, and its probably not really worth it. It should, though, guarantee that all the cable strands do actually have continuity from one end to the other, and that the connectors are well made, properly wired, and will fit properly. That's all you need.

Come to think of it, I've had less trouble with USB cables, over the years, than others I can think of. I've thrown away lots of Cat-5 ethernet patch cables.
A computer audiophile nutcase friend insists on me listening to USB cables from Locus Design. Too much for me to invest in a USB cable, but hey that's just me and who knows ymmv
Computers are very prosaic things. That doesn't go down well with certain kinds of audiophile, who want to invest them with the mystique of a valve amplifier. I resent that, perhaps because I have more PC than hifi in my background!

(There are probably engineers to whom the valve amp, even, is a very prosaic thing!)

Last edited:
I am on the lookout for a decent 1m USB cable (type AB) for computer audio. My budget is around 6k but can go higher upto 10k, if the SQ is positively impacted.
User experiences and opinions are welcome and solicited.
I am considering the Audioquest Carbon cable and higher in the AQ range as of now.
Cheers,
Sid

buddy 6k for a USB cable ?

i assume 500 bucks you will get a better one and even if people will claim so that they heard the diffrence.. probably got extra efficient ears

6k USB cable would not make any sense other than giving a psychological satisfaction of it being a expensive cable and should sound good..

i have check local / oem supplied cables and good quality USB upto 500 bucks. and i did not find any diffrence in the same.

the only one thing is for the chepo 50 bucks cables is the strands are weak and they might just work for few months.

however till the time they workes.. they were as good as others...

i have also checked the USB oem cables supplied with phones/printers and other stuff.

i found the best quality cables ( strands/connector ) were dell printers and blackberry.

the blackberry ones are real good...

do not spend that much for a USB cable... its digital signal ( same funda - either it will or not at all )

just my opinion...

Last edited:
I hear you ironhorse - I have some no name USB cable lying around, freebies and such, but when I did a search, guess what, I found USB cable all the way from $5 to $500 and more. Anyways the $150 range seems a sweet spot with many companies offering their step up product at this range, hence the 6k. Though I have absolutely no experience with USB, other than the freebie and el cheapo stuff out there,thought I would throw it open for discussion and see what I can learn.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
. I like well constructed cables with good materials. That's my minimum and perhaps only requirement!

I concur unleash, and that is my approach as of now. I am considering a step up from the freebie cables that I have lying around, but what should be the range of the step up? As I stated in my previous post - just my novice opinion after surveying the offerings seems to be the $150 range, but I want to steer clear of the saying that "A fool and his money are soon parted":lol: if I can and make somewhat of an informed choice.
Cheers,
Sid

I think that the last USB cable I bought was an extension, and that it cost one or two hundred Rs --- and that I was surprised it was so much!

The Belkin stuff seems to be around USD 20 to 30. Another USB site I saw comes at about half that, whereas a third, UK, site was mostly under 1 (about Rs70) per cable!

My guess is to pay a couple of hundred, and to buy a standard cable, strictly avoiding anything that makes any hifi-related claims.

Afterthought:
I am considering a step up from the freebie cables that I have lying around...
Don't bother. If they work, they work! Save your cable cash for analogue :)

Last edited:
.... but when I did a search, guess what, I found USB cable all the way from $5 to $500 and more

I think you may have missed this ;) - Cynosure v2 USB Cable :rolleyes:. But the designer is no more :sad:

Why not this? NuForce Transient and Impulse Cables. I have one of them and used it for nuForce uDAC-2. But, I now use it to connect my external HDD to XTreamer. It actually feels well built, is short (I have the 0.5m version) and reduced the clutter in the shelf by 0.5m compared to the no name cable.

i completelt agree to the availabilty of a 500 $ cable.. however companies like these take the advantage of the very expensive audio gear available and use their beauty to sell their products..

imagine a person setting up a rig for 10,000 $ . these companies will be easily able to sell that guy this cable to make him believe that 500 $ extra is worth as it will make that 10k system sound the way it should and he will willingly buy it for the sake of taking the juice out of the setup..

but try the other way. why not see if these companies give a demo compared to a failry price cable of say 10$ . and i am not talking about

voltage vs graph and theoritical demo but a live demop to ears.. .they will not..

as far as 1 m is concerned .. even the crappy cable can compete with the 500 $ cable trust me.. the actual ( vs ) thing starts at longer distance..

when good quality material used comes into play say 10m and above.

if thats the case opt for a fairly priced cable. by fairly priced i would still mean a max of

2k and that should do the job..

you can actually see diffrent cables how they are stranded..

try walking around croma, reliance digital and few other stores that have usb cables of 1m and above and arounf 500-600 bucks.. i would suggest pick them up. you wont go wrong with a 500 rs usb cable..

Why not this? NuForce Transient and Impulse Cables. I have one of them and used it for nuForce uDAC-2.

Thanks esanthosh - I have high regard for nuforce products so this is one option. Are these available here in India?
Another option I am thinking about is Audioquest Cinnamon 2.5' USB A/B Cable - Black/Red 65-088-12
So I guess at the $20 -$50 range, one should get decent build quality and sound (if that even matters for usb per the posts here). BTW Ironhorse, I need only 0.75m -1m length, so that should be non issue as well then.
This will also help me compare the cheap no names to better ($ wise) cables at a relatively affordable price so I can hear for myself.
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks esanthosh - I have high regard for nuforce products so this is one option. Are these available here in India?

None of the Nuforce products apart from uDAC-1 are available in India. You can get them from Amazon, but shipping would add about $23 or so. If you are ordering a couple of cables, it would make more sense.

Another option for you would be this - Wire World - USB Digital Audio cables. Have read some good things about it. More importantly, it has an Indian distributor too.

PS: Just an interesting discussion related to the topic - Don't get why "Audiophile" USB Cable would improve sound quality

Edit:

A couple of USB cables on sale in Head-fi too -

http://www.head-fi.org/t/558749/fs-furutech-formula-2-usb-b-type-a-b-cables-6-ft
http://www.head-fi.org/t/560853/fs-entreq-discover-usb-cable-1-metre
http://www.head-fi.org/t/570557/locus-design-axis-usb-cable-price-drop-immaculate (With the designer gone, lot of Locus Design cables on sale)

Last edited:
I think you may have missed this ;) - Cynosure v2 USB Cable :rolleyes:. But the designer is no more :sad:

Why not this? NuForce Transient and Impulse Cables. I have one of them and used it for nuForce uDAC-2. But, I now use it to connect my external HDD to XTreamer. It actually feels well built, is short (I have the 0.5m version) and reduced the clutter in the shelf by 0.5m compared to the no name cable.
Thanks Santhosh, since so many of us are getting into Computer Audio, think it would really help us if you could share with us if you heard audible improvements (if any) over the no-name cable:).

it would really help us if you could share with us if you heard audible improvements (if any) over the no-name cable

Frankly, I did an A-B only once between normal and the Impulse cable. The difference, if any was very minor. The difference could be placebo too, so I am not sure to this day :eek:. I did post about it somewhere, but not able to find it now.

I've thrown away lots of Cat-5 ethernet patch cables.

Last night I was reading a review of the Linn Majik DS-I. This DAC-cum-line pre- cum-phono pre-cum-power amp uses Ethernet cable to communicate with the music source. Here's a wry quote: And, of course, the user needs a few Ethernet cables, which generally aren't too expensiveyet.

I think it's just a matter of time before we need to start buying audiophile ethernet cables:)
Linn Majik DS-I D/A integrated amplifier | Stereophile.com

I have had too many USB cables fail on me. I have seen some connectors rust. Some others simply stopped working. I would urge you to buy a branded variety. Not necessarily a very costly one. In the absence of scientific measurements, I go by the thickness of the cables as a feel-good measure. For example, as an earlier poster pointed out, the thick USB cable that came with my BB has not failed me since 2007!

I don't know the scientific basis for it but I have a feeling that there is a quantum of truth about all USB cables being NOT equal. Audio transfer through USB is vulnerable to jitters. That's why dCS has invented asynchronous clocking and transfer over USB and has started licensing it to other audio makers.
Joshua

Audio transfer through USB is vulnerable to jitters. Joshua

+1 Joshua - that seems to be the primary concern with cheap cables and also a key advertising point with the more expensive versions. Not sure if the amount has been scientifically measured or not, but never-the-less it is a point that is harped on and jitter per se is detrimental to SQ.
Also another factor is the material used. Obviously with the market price of silver, a high purity silver design is going to cost more, but then again has there been any comparison objective or subjective - not too sure.
To my ears, in analog cables, I try to steer away from silver especially for a solid state setup and tend to prefer high purity copper.
Cheers
Sid

Last edited:
guys... whatever little R&D i have done seems to show that USB cables don't really have an effect on SQ... i have found the Belkin Pro 2.0 USB cable to be the most optimal in terms of build quality, performance and price!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back