USB cable-What should I ask for?

karmapilots

Hi Guys,

This might sound tad amateurish. So please bear with me.
I bought a Schiit Modi DAC. The USB connection cable was not part of the deal.
I can't find this particular USB cable in any of the Cromas and Reliance Digitals of the world.

I'm attaching the picture of the USB socket on the DAC. Will you guys please tell me what it is called and where I can find them in Bangalore.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 138
You can ask for a USB B Female to USB A Female cable. Such cables are normally supplied with Printers, scanners etc. You can ask for printer USB cable also. Definitely available @ SP Road Near Majestic.

To summarize USB ( Male to Male) with one end A type and the other end B type connectors. ( Visally one end will be a thin rectangular and the other end is almost squarish with rounded edge) These are quite common and easy to get.

Maybe I just can't hear it, but I do not subscribe to digital cables changing the sound. On the other hand... Whilst avoiding the overpriced 'audiophile' stuff, I would still be inclined to get a branded cable that looks and feels decently made, rather than something anonymous and really cheap.

A brand name should guarantee that the cable and connectors are made to specification, which is all that should be necessary of a digital cable but who knows if it is even true of the really low-price stuff. It should also be durable, and last but not least, it will look better :)

To sum up: I'd spend a couple of hundred or so on a USB cable, but never thousands and certainly not tens of thousands! And yes, I'll go with that even if I do manage to get my [current] dream Burson DAC/HP amp.

Last edited:
Not sure whether a printer cable will work.

Ashish from Lakozy told that printer cables do not work with DACs so try getting a budget DAC cable

printer cables do not work with DACs so try getting a budget DAC cable

There is no such thing as a USB Printer cable. They are all USB cables! Equally, I don't believe that there can be any such thing as a USB DAC cable. Or a USB Scanner cable, camera cable, hard-disk cable and so on and on and on.

There is USB A and B, USB Mini and Micro, USB 2.0 and 3.0 (and even 1!). There are even devices that have proprietary connectors which must use that specific cable (eg My Panasonic Lumix camera, grrr) and, did I hear somewhere about USB cables for phones, some of which do not carry both charge and data? Not sure: I might have made that last one up.

It's a standard. It is either USB or it isn't (oh heck, I'm sure there are exceptions!) and, if it is, then a USB cable will work ...as long as it has the correct connectors.

Not sure whether a printer cable will work.

Ashish from Lakozy told that printer cables do not work with DACs so try getting a budget DAC cable

Am using a " printer" usb cable top connect my laptop to the MF V DAC II and it works like a charm. As Thad says, it is the connectors that matter and there is no such thing as a usb dac cable. But hang on, someone out there is going to realize this soon enough, and you will have branded usb dac cables on the market burning a hole in your pocket in the near future !

It will work for sure. I have a bundle of cables (of all types that Thad mentioned and many more!) lying with me and each of them works flawlessly.

One of them is connecting my DAC to my netbook without any issues. Good quality ones have some filters built in, usually seen as cylindrical dilatations at either ends which usually are inductors wound over a carbon core, which prevent "dirty" pc voltages to pass to your DAC circuitry.

Google that last one... I'm sure I've come across some reference about those filters actually doing more harm than good! No idea what/why. Too late for me to find my reference as I only have a vague clue where to start looking. If I can add it tomorrow I will. Or else I dreamed it!

The ferrite core filters seem to be available separately also. So you can snap it on and try to find the difference if you are keen

41B8KGTNDYL.jpg

I'm sure I've come across some reference about those filters actually doing more harm than good!

I think it was this...

4. What are the most common signal quality design mistakes?

A: Signal Quality is a mandatory test. See the

signal quality test description for details. Most problems are the result of EMI "control" components like ferrite beads mounted on the signal lines. Often, these manage to destroy the integrity of the signal as well as make emissions worse.

This is just an extract from a FAQ. Must be better information available... but it is from The USB people, so we should take some notice.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back