• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted USB DAC wanted. Budget: 7k INR (can increase further if its worth it)

marX

IF you get deals of a battery powered DAC in your budget go for that of course with audition, example is of the likes of FiiO lineup, takes out the power supply induced problems right away.
Good point but many of these Chinese manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to implementing a competent design.
Yes, a good option but the red is even better !

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

MaSh

Also, I like a "bright" sound signature but yours is "laid back".
You should audition the Fiio. It bends towards the brighter side very slightly.

I haven't heard those Fiios. I'll check them out when I get back home.

Seriously though, for a new DAC, I think I should go either for the Schiit Modi or the Khadas Tone Board according to the reviews. Regarding, the Schiit, its out of stock on headphones.in, the official dealer in India and is overpriced (11k for vs 99 usd).

But Khadas Board on the other hand, is available at Aliexpress for 7K.
Schiit is very neutral. Also, getting one in your budget could be tough. No idea about the Khadas board. Does it need any DIY skills to get it working?

I'm considering the Fiio Q1 MKii, but I see mixed reviews. I'll be connecting the lineout to the Cambridge amplifier. Wondering if this will be a good option.
In my opinion yes it should be a good combination. This is how I use my previous generation Fiio Q1. Line out to my NAD amp. Line out bypasses the preamp and headphone amp curcuits. I run it on battery backup and allow it to charge when not in use. A separate toggle switch allows this.

Good point but many of these Chinese manufacturers leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to implementing a competent design.
Yes, a good option but the red is even better !
Yes if you are going for the small or non branded chinese stuff, then there is only so much you can expect in terms of quality. However, bigger and more popular brands are doing quite good. I have only heard Dragonfly Black and it was slightly warmer compared to my Fiio. Red is considered to be much much better to the Black, however, I have not heard it.

MaSh

marX

You should audition the Fiio. It bends towards the brighter side very slightly.

Schiit is very neutral. Also, getting one in your budget could be tough. No idea about the Khadas board. Does it need any DIY skills to get it working?

In my opinion yes it should be a good combination. This is how I use my previous generation Fiio Q1. Line out to my NAD amp. Line out bypasses the preamp and headphone amp curcuits. I run it on battery backup and allow it to charge when not in use. A separate toggle switch allows this.

Yes if you are going for the small or non branded chinese stuff, then there is only so much you can expect in terms of quality. However, bigger and more popular brands are doing quite good. I have only heard Dragonfly Black and it was slightly warmer compared to my Fiio. Red is considered to be much much better to the Black, however, I have not heard it.

MaSh
I haven't spend much time checking the reviews of Fiio stuff but according to audioscience forum tests, the measurements haven't been that great. On the other hand, Schiit Modi as well as that Khadas board fared well in the objective as well as subjective tests.
I'm guessing the Khadas Tone Board is the O-DAC of 2018 !
The bang for buck king !

Yeah, the Khadas board is just the board (fully soldered and finished) without any cover. I plan to cannibalize my pre-amp for the case :p

narenvaidee

The bang for buck king !

Yeah, the Khadas board is just the board (fully soldered and finished) without any cover. I plan to cannibalize my pre-amp for the case :p
Where do you intend to buy that from? I inquired at Roborium (Khadas distributor based in Delhi) and they have sent me a quote for 11,768/- -- pretty steep if you consider the % from $99. (I'm not getting into the nitty-gritty of shipping, margins and taxes). Logically, I just can't pay ~60% over and above the actual value of the product.

I inquired with Khadas direct and this is what they conveyed via email when asked about direct shipping to India "Sure, this is no problem, we could send it to India by China Post, it will avoid customs tax."

What route are you taking?

MaSh

I haven't spend much time checking the reviews of Fiio stuff but according to audioscience forum tests, the measurements haven't been that great. On the other hand, Schiit Modi as well as that Khadas board fared well in the objective as well as subjective tests.
The bang for buck king !

Ha ha ha ofcourse they'll be better. But then are they in your budget except the Khan board?

I have a feeling somewhere inside you have decided on that board. At 7k looks like it's the best option for you.

MaSh

marX

Where do you intend to buy that from? I inquired at Roborium (Khadas distributor based in Delhi) and they have sent me a quote for 11,768/- -- pretty steep if you consider the % from $99. (I'm not getting into the nitty-gritty of shipping, margins and taxes). Logically, I just can't pay ~60% over and above the actual value of the product.

I inquired with Khadas direct and this is what they conveyed via email when asked about direct shipping to India "Sure, this is no problem, we could send it to India by China Post, it will avoid customs tax."

What route are you taking?
I'm planning to buy it directly from Khadas or through their storefront in AliExpress. Both have a good chance of avoiding customs.
BTW, there is a discount coupon at Khadas site where, IIRC, discounts the amount if the total billed amount is greater than 120USD.
So, if we can buy two boards, the discount would apply. But, the chance of customs guys checking the package increases as the value goes up.

Ha ha ha ofcourse they'll be better. But then are they in your budget except the Khan board?

I have a feeling somewhere inside you have decided on that board. At 7k looks like it's the best option for you.

MaSh
Yeah, its the best option, IMO.
Regarding the Modi, I can getting it delivered directly from Schiit for 123 USD (shipped from USA, USPS) but there is a good chance of attracting customs charges. SO the total amount would be 163 USD or ~Rs 11600, more than headphones.in charges for it (Rs 11,000).

Massdrop trumps everything though with their huge discounts but the chance of attracting customs is more as they use DHL mostly.

narenvaidee

I'm planning to buy it directly from Khadas or through their storefront in AliExpress. Both have a good chance of ...
Just got a note from khadas that their tone boards are out of stock. If we place order now they said they will send mail once they are available and ready to ship. This is just FYI—

marX

Just got a note from khadas that their tone boards are out of stock. If we place order now they said they will send mail once they are available and ready to ship. This is just FYI—
Thanks for the heads up !

I'm still a long way away from purchasing anything though there is a package (for me) stuck at the airport. I need to deal with it before getting an another one !

SPONSORED ADS
SPONSORED ADS