USB DAC with apple TV?

koushikp

hey anyone knows whether one can use an USB DAC couple with the camera connection kit with the apple TV 2nd/3rd Generation? this would be awesome cause there are much more varieties of inexpensive USB DACs compared to the more expensive ones with optical in etc.

The cck works with iPod, iPhone and iPad and can be connected with most self powered USB DACs. I use it with my iPads.

The cck works with iPod, iPhone and iPad and can be connected with most self powered USB DACs. I use it with my iPads.

yes audiodoc, it was your post only which started off this thought in my head, but connecting a ipod/ipad/iphone (all of which I own) will not help because of two reasons:

1. most of my collection is in apple lossless, and some 320 kbps MP3 (bought from flyte) and none of my devices have enough storage to store the whole collection.
2. The whole purpose of this exercise will be to connect and play through my bedroom stereo system (PM6004 (yet to arrive, will arrive tomorrow hopefully)+wharfy Evo 8), which obviously is at a distance. Idea is to lean back and control the whole thing from a distance, and airplay seems like the best thing to achieve that.

I do own a Airport express, the only problem is, I don't like the stock stereo output of the AE, currently I have connected through mini optical to my living room Onkyo 609, and even the Onkyo 609 sounds better than the AE analog out, so I am pretty sure I want a DAC, problem is optical DACs are quite expensive, while there are excellent DACs like the ODAC which are available at a fraction of the cost, but are USB based...

So I really want to solve this problem (keeping a DAC in between my itunes based music collection streaming) in a smart manner, without throwing too much money at the problem..that's why i thought of the apple tv, the AE cannot support USB DAC for sure afaik...

why do you need USB dac? you can take optical out and use a dac that takes optical in.
Edit - sorry saw the cost angle later. I am sure you can find cheap optical dacs as well. What budget do you have in mind?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=electronics&field-keywords=DAC+optical

No budget anm...after I saw that the odac is available at a measly 99 usd, was exploring whether there is an usb route solution to the whole thing..so yeah 99 usd would be a budget I would be comfortable with

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back