USB out : What are the options to improve SQ

cha_indian

I recently bought a entry level Asus laptop that is basically used to watch and listen to songs on Youtube and locally. The sound quality obviously not even average.....

I have another Lenovo L440 laptop that produces very good SQ...I use the 3.5mm jact to my amp. This laptop has Realtek HD audio and the player is Dolby Advanced Audio V2. When I enable sound effects, the SQ is several times better than without it.

I have a DAC that can take digital IN...

wanted to know what can be done to improve the SQ on the Asus laptop?

I recently bought a entry level Asus laptop that is basically used to watch and listen to songs on Youtube and locally. The sound quality obviously not even average.....

I have another Lenovo L440 laptop that produces very good SQ...I use the 3.5mm jact to my amp. This laptop has Realtek HD audio and the player is Dolby Advanced Audio V2. When I enable sound effects, the SQ is several times better than without it.

I have a DAC that can take digital IN...

wanted to know what can be done to improve the SQ on the Asus laptop?

Chromecast would be the easiest and most convenient option. If not, you could try out one of the USB Digital to Analog/Coaxial/Optical/3.5mm out converter. I have this one and I would not term it as bad.
Signstek HIFI USB to Coaxial S/PDIF Converter Decoder Convert Digital to Analogue Signal Mini USB DAC PCM 2704 Chipset with USB Cable. It is not Audiophile standard, however, Foobar and WASAPI gave pretty satisfactory results. The USB converter has every possible output to give you numerous DAC options in future. I used it without a DAC using its own RCA outs connected directly to my stereo amp. You could connect one of the digital outs to your DAC.

MaSh

I have Chromecast Audio, and after having used it for a few hours, I was not clearly impressed with the performance. It does the job of playing music over wifi.
When I compare the Chromecast with the HRT Music Streamer ii USB DAC that also use, the Chromecast is not hifi quality.

The purpose of both the devices is different and the Chromecast has a decent dac but if you want similar performance as in HRT then you need to take out the optical out via the 3.5mm and connect to an external DAC which will definitely beats the HRT as in giving the additional streamer capability that HRT lacks.

I have Chromecast Audio, and after having used it for a few hours, I was not clearly impressed with the performance. It does the job of playing music over wifi.
When I compare the Chromecast with the HRT Music Streamer ii USB DAC that also use, the Chromecast is not hifi quality.

I hope you have enabled the high dynamic range option on the CCA
It is switched off by default - I presume that is the reason why you found the sound quality underwhelming

I decided to use my existing DAC. I will give the feed from Laptop via USB into the DAC and see the SQ. I have a pretty decent DAC that i assembled. All i need is a USB A to B cable.

I decided to use my existing DAC. I will give the feed from Laptop via USB into the DAC and see the SQ. I have a pretty decent DAC that i assembled. All i need is a USB A to B cable.

Try with a simple printer cable. If necessary, get an "audio grade" one.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks. It worked.
I was using the browser extension and that feature is not available in the browser extension.
So I installed the app on my phone and from there I enabled the Dynamic Range.
I now get hi fi quality audio from Chromecast that is comparable to the HRT.

please elaborate the setup for playing music through laptop and the name of the tube dac i also would like to play music through my laptop to marantz amp

At the end of day, your source quality over rides any equipment upgrades in the chain. Ensure your recordings are the best and a decent equipment will be better than great equipment but terrible source input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My chain is :

Laptop USB out > PCM1798 DAC > Bada DC222 Amp > GR Research's XLS Encore speakers

// The tube DAC is a DIY kit that i bought from a company called hifidiy.net (Now i think it is not available)

Last edited:
At the end of day, your source quality over rides any equipment upgrades in the chain. Ensure your recordings are the best and a decent equipment will be better than great equipment but terrible source input

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think speaker upgrade is the one that makes the most difference....

I have made the same dac based on burr brown pcm 1798 and it sounds pretty good. I am not using the tube output and have replaced the 10 uf output capacitors to polypropylene ones.

The other DACS in my list are a fiio e7, philips nos dac, few cirrus logic diy dacs, a quad Wolfson diy dac, the ODAC, a TEAC Burr brown high res DAC and a SMSL M8 DSD capable DAC.

Source material has the most influence. An exceptionally well mastered recording although rare will essentially sound better on whatever system you have barring the worst non hifi systems.

This is followed by the speaker the weakest link in the audio chain followed by DAC, preamplifier and power amplifier, low signal level interconnects and lastly the speaker cables.

A 64kbps mp3 will sound horrible on the best systems while a well mastered track from HD tracks would sound better even on a decent computer speaker system.

Source material has the most influence. An exceptionally well mastered recording although rare will essentially sound better on whatever system you have barring the worst non hifi systems.

This is followed by the speaker the weakest link in the audio chain followed by DAC, preamplifier and power amplifier, low signal level interconnects and lastly the speaker cables.

A 64kbps mp3 will sound horrible on the best systems while a well mastered track from HD tracks would sound better even on a decent computer speaker system.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back