USB to AES/EBU converter

rajan-

Dont flame me for asking this q here...

Pardon me, I haven't posted anywhere other that DIY forum (but I know all the cool people hangout here :) I happen to like what DIYers think before I explore other avenues )

Any recommendations on a USB to AES/EBU converts ? Any RPi options ?

I will try to elaborate what I am trying to do to.

I finally got my hands o a Tascam DA-3000 , and what I hear is pretty good. Very Good...

Now ... How do I stream to it ?

I can make a RPi Spdif streamer.... , it WILL work....

BUT, I am greedy.. (if you are wondering why ? I also have Balanced Amps, which can be fed from the Tascam DA-3000 Balanced outs.. see...?? )

There is this singxer SU1 which gives USB to AES/EBU, I2S, etc
SU-1 digital interface of our team to develop a high-performance USB digital audio interface, using the XMOS latest xCORE-200 series chip. SU-1 is the independent development low jitter clock digital system interface(CRYSTEK CCHD-575/957 SERIES). SU-1 digital interface using standard USB2.0 input interface, while SU-1 has many output interfaces,including XLR Balanced Output AES,coaxial RCA and BNC,using HDMI socket output I2S port,WCLK clock output.

1664711426409.png

AES is mostly directly compatible with coax SPDIF. Both are 75ohm interfaces, SPDIF typically an RCA connector and AES-3, a BNC connector. AES-3 is 1 volt while SPDIF is a max of 600mv. As this is "digital" signal the voltage mismatch is insignificant.

AES-1985 is the balanced version over 110 ohm twisted cable using XLR connector. Now Canare makes matching AES transformers that convert from XLR to BNC and with a simple BNC to RCA adaptor, this should work.

The one difference between AES and SPDIF was the channel status bits. In AES these are used as metadata. In SPDIF they were reserved for copy protection on consumer DAT machines in the early 1990s. Now as consumer DAT was a flop, this never was deeply implemented and most consumer will just ignore this bit field in the AES packet.

I am also looking for something like this. USB to Optical/Coaxial/AES converter. Topping D10 is one device I know of that converts USB to Optical/Coaxial.

MaSh

I am also looking for something like this. USB to Optical/Coaxial/AES converter. Topping D10 is one device I know of that converts USB to Optical/Coaxial.

MaSh
I have used aYellowtec PUC2 Lite. Its about as pro as you could get on this.
Sounds Excellent

Last edited:
I have just purchased a Gustard U18 DDC which converts USB to AES/EBU from @magma, the reviews are great for this Gustard U18, would update as soon as I receive the unit and try it in my system.

AES is mostly directly compatible with coax SPDIF. Both are 75ohm interfaces, SPDIF typically an RCA connector and AES-3, a BNC connector. AES-3 is 1 volt while SPDIF is a max of 600mv. As this is "digital" signal the voltage mismatch is insignificant.

AES-1985 is the balanced version over 110 ohm twisted cable using XLR connector. Now Canare makes matching AES transformers that convert from XLR to BNC and with a simple BNC to RCA adaptor, this should work.

The one difference between AES and SPDIF was the channel status bits. In AES these are used as metadata. In SPDIF they were reserved for copy protection on consumer DAT machines in the early 1990s. Now as consumer DAT was a flop, this never was deeply implemented and most consumer will just ignore this bit field in the AES packet.
Thanks for the info..

I was looking at USB to AES over XLR..
The AES over XLR works at higher voltage. I think its over 2V compared to 500mV over coax.

@arj does the yellow tec converts from USB to AES on XLR ?
the web sites seems to suggest spdif as the digital input. not the USB.

Thanks for the info..

I was looking at USB to AES over XLR..
The AES over XLR works at higher voltage. I think its over 2V compared to 500mV over coax.

@arj does the yellow tec converts from USB to AES on XLR ?
the web sites seems to suggest spdif as the digital input. not the USB.

Yes , in fact it does not have a RCA/spdif only XLR being pro. there are 2 XLR ports one for USB to XLR and other for XLR to USB where you can input digital into a PC/MAC as well especially if you have an ADC.
PUC2_Line-S.png

Yes , in fact it does not have a RCA/spdif only XLR being pro. there are 2 XLR ports one for USB to XLR and other for XLR to USB where you can input digital into a PC/MAC as well especially if you have an ADC.
PUC2_Line-S.png
Duh... I read the "AES 3 + SPF/DIF" on their website... and jumped too much ahead , without checking further...

@arj Can I ask what DAC you use with this ? just curious, as its not everyday we get to see pro gear used by audio listeners.. (no offence to anyone)
and rest of the chain ?

I was almost set on pi2aes mercury streamer, as I like the direction they are taking.. to me it looks future proof for few years, and 1:1 isolation transformers etc. but I will re-evaluate now with yellowtec.

an update on Tascam ADDA use. (I use a cheap Optical to RCA/SPDIF converter)
This is my current DAC at my work desk, feeding my headphone amp.. its very very good.

I played around with it
1. tried recording some songs in 24/192 from streaming services, for schiits and giggls even from youtube, :) ... and tried them on my mobile phone/ear phones. (disclaimer: promptly deleted it after the tests)
2. fed the digital out from the ADDA to a very old Schiit modi DAC. it just transformed the performance of the old DAC, and I could only think abt the internal clock from the ADDA for transformation.

The product has gone EOL. if any one here gets their hand on one, second hand, probably wont regret it.

Duh... I read the "AES 3 + SPF/DIF" on their website... and jumped too much ahead , without checking further...

@arj Can I ask what DAC you use with this ? just curious, as its not everyday we get to see pro gear used by audio listeners.. (no offence to anyone)
and rest of the chain ?

I was almost set on pi2aes mercury streamer, as I like the direction they are taking.. to me it looks future proof for few years, and 1:1 isolation transformers etc. but I will re-evaluate now with yellowtec.

an update on Tascam ADDA use. (I use a cheap Optical to RCA/SPDIF converter)
This is my current DAC at my work desk, feeding my headphone amp.. its very very good.

I played around with it
1. tried recording some songs in 24/192 from streaming services, for schiits and giggls even from youtube, :) ... and tried them on my mobile phone/ear phones. (disclaimer: promptly deleted it after the tests)
2. fed the digital out from the ADDA to a very old Schiit modi DAC. it just transformed the performance of the old DAC, and I could only think abt the internal clock from the ADDA for transformation.

The product has gone EOL. if any one here gets their hand on one, second hand, probably wont regret it.
I use a Reimyo 777 Dac. these days dont use the PUC as I use the Auralic aries as a streamer.
my chain is available as a link on my signature :)

I use a Reimyo 777 Dac. these days dont use the PUC as I use the Auralic aries as a streamer.
my chain is available as a link on my signature :)
I will admit, I didnt know what a Reimyo was / is until now.

BTW, the links in signature doesn't show up in mobile browser...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back