Use line level and speaker level inputs in tandem

guite

I have an Onkyo AVR which does not output any signal though LFE channel in pure audio mode. So I am thinking of using speaker level input available in my Wharfedale SW150. At the same time I want to retain the line level input I have already connected.

So lets say I match the cross over frequency in AVR settings and SW dial knob. Now when I do not disable LFE channel in AVR menu will the subwoofer receive signal from both line level and speaker level inputs? If yes, will it be detrimental to integrity of the subwoofer circuitry?

Using both speaker-level and line-level inputs simultaneously isn't a great idea -- unless your sub is designed to accept multiple inputs, don't do that. Not all subs allow both connections at the same time.

Now, with most sub woofers on the market, you only have one crossover point and one volume setting.This poses a problem most of the time for music playback. Usually the Home Theater setting is typically higher, and the sub needs to be re-calibrated for Music playback......that's not a fact, just my experience setting up sub's of different brands.

My Velodyne manual says:

Important!!!
Do not use both LINE LEVEL and SPEAKER LEVEL connections simultaneously!

Now, with most sub woofers on the market, you only have one crossover point and one volume setting.
Thanks for the input.

I am a bit confused by the part quoted above. My sub has a volume control knob which can be turned 270 degrees, and cross over frequency selection from 35 to 85 hz in 10 hz increment.

Thanks for the input.

I am a bit confused by the part quoted above. My sub has a volume control knob which can be turned 270 degrees, and cross over frequency selection from 35 to 85 hz in 10 hz increment.

Pl read this as "you have crossover points and volume setting".

You will have to set it manually, which is fine if you only do one thing with the sub, like only watch movies, or only listen to a certain type of music. But if you use it for say... everything... then you'll want to use the receiver's presets or EQ options for different situations.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back