• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

For Sale Usher S520 and NAD C320BEE

AV Cables
Status
Not open for further replies.

psychotropic

Usher S520 - Some background

As you will know from my thread on the best speakers under 20k, I found the Usher S520s (that cost anywhere between 22k and 24k depending on your bargaining skills) to so far outclass anything under 20k that I decided to go in for them. They are superbly detailed, with a ruler-flat frequency response, airy treble, smooth midrange and tight, authoritative bass. No mid-bass bump or any tricks here to colour the sound. I continue to believe that this is the best value that you can get in this price range by a long way. Reviewers in virtually every magazine that has reviewed it have showered praise on these speakers, and I'll just paste an excerpt from the goodsound review by Thom Moon below:

"In a word, the Usher Audio S-520 sounded fabulous. Is it the nirvana of small speakers? Maybe not quite. But its the closest to my goal of finding a really good small speaker that Ive heard. Its reproduction is detailed, yet still able to produce a full sound in which the instruments that are supposed to blend (say, massed strings) come out sounding as one -- and its finish is worthy of a top-of-the-line speaker. Yet $479/pair cant be considered egregiously expensive. The Usher S-520 is the small speaker to seriously consider."

And one more thing worth considering in all this is that for the reviewers this is a 480 USD speaker, and they are comparing it to other speakers in the 500 USD bracket, almost all of which are 30k and above in India, so Usher's pricing policy also adds to the incredible value that it offers.

My Ushers - Condition etc.,

My Ushers have performed flawlessly from September 2009 onwards, when I bought them from ARN Systems. They are finished in a gorgeous dark red wood veneer and are superbly built for speakers in this price range. They are in pristine condition as you can see from the photographs and have been kept and cared for in a pet free, child free, food free (yes my wife is obsessive) and by and large dirt free environment. It is available with full box, packing materials and paraphernalia. The speakers have been fully broken in (i would very roughly estimate about 200 hours of play) and sound exceptional. They are front ported so there is a lot of placement flexibility as well.

Reason for Sale

As you would have guessed, the reason is an upgrade. The upgrade is to a speaker from a higher price bracket, and even in that price bracket it slays speakers far more expensive. I will reveal more once I've tied up some loose ends. Perhaps I'll have a stevie style riddle thread.

Expected Price

The new price of these babies is anywhere between 22k and 24k like I said, and this is comparable exactly to the price at which they sell in the US. As these are in pristine condition, have been carefully used only for 8 months and are available in its original packaging, I am looking for 18k for these.

Delivery

I am happy to drop these off anywhere in Chennai. I will not ship it anywhere else. I could consider bringing it to Bangalore, but I would seriously prefer not to.

Auditions

Prospective buyers are free to audition the speakers, but if there is a buyer who agrees to pick it up quickly without an audition, I may be compelled to give him priority.

Pictures

I've photographed them from every possible angle that you would want to see them, and you can see the condition that they are in on this picasa album.

The post on the amplifier will follow shortly.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Please consider making a voluntary donation to help towards the running of HiFiViSION.COM

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  5. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  6. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  7. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  8. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  9. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

psychotropic

The Amplifier

NAD C320BEE - Some background

The NAD C320BE (and its successors the 325 and the 326 which vary only very slightly from the 320) needs no introduction. the BEE stands for Bjorn Erik Edvardson the designer of the legendary NAD 3020 and the C320BEE signified the rebirth of the philosophies underlying the 3020. It's a 50w per channel integrated stereo amplifier. I'll leave the description to Art Dudley from Stereophile:

In light of that, the C320's clean layout and excellent build quality come as nothing less than a shock. The transformer is a toroid, all the output devices and voltage regulators are mounted on generously sized heatsinks, and all the C320's active parts are discrete. Solid-copper bus bars abound. Connectors are gold-plated and sturdy without being silly about it.​

It's conservatively rated at 50w, it is genuinely a hefty amplifier that can tame some seriously difficult speakers with ease. The current supply is prodigious which means that deep bass and loud passages are handled with aplomb. It has the signature NAD sound, so it's not the last word in detail, but it's warm, smooth sound that is completely non-fatiguing. Pair it with detailed electronics or speakers and it works a treat. Here's more from Art Dudley and Stereophile:

I don't feel the least bit silly putting a $399 integrated amp in the same system with a $3500 SACD player, $8000 speakers, and God only knows how many dollars' worth of cables. I do, however, feel silly being so critical of something that performs better in that setting than I have any right to expect. The C320BEE is a really nice little amp, and totally worthy of whatever laurel leaves the 3020 has shaken from its head....The NAD is musically and sonically accomplished, and is probably about as close to organic sound as you can get for this kind of money.​

My NAD - Condition etc.,

I bought the NAD used from Hyderabad in August 2009, went there, picked it up and carried it back myself. The amp itself is about 5 years old. The condition is very good. No visible dings or scratches. The unused RCA inputs (all other than the CD input) could do with a cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise the amp is in excellent condition. Comes with the remote also (I don't have a picture, because I forgot to take one, will update the album ASAP). Functionally it's perfect, all knobs, switches and everything work perfectly. However, during cold/rainy weather I usually have to switch on the main power switch, and then give it five minutes to warm up, before it starts up properly. Otherwise it turns off. This has never been a significant problem, and the fix is consistent and repeatable. I mention this only in the interest of full disclosure :). Overall it's a great stereo amp and can even drive floorstanders beautifully. It's built like a tank and will last you for many years. And oh yes, food-free, pet-free, child-free environment for the last 9 months. Original box and packing are not available, but I'll personally hand-deliver it anywhere in Chennai (and help you set it up also if you wish ;) )

Reason for Sale

My little tripath amp. In my 10 by 10 room it is more than sufficient right now and I've learnt to live without the convenience of a remote control. I wouldn't be selling this amp except that I need to collect as much money as possible to finance the speaker upgrade. So, it is a reluctant sale.

Expected Price

The C326BEE currently goes for about 28k. Old stocks of C325BEE go for roughly 22k and both of these are virtually identical to this amplifier. The amplifier is in very good condition. I am looking for 9k for this, and I think it's a very good price :)

Delivery

I am happy to drop this off anywhere in Chennai. I will not ship it anywhere else. I could consider bringing it to Bangalore, but I would seriously prefer not to.

Auditions

Prospective buyers are free to audition the amplifier, but if there is a buyer who agrees to pick it up quickly without an audition, I may be compelled to give him priority.

Pictures

The photographs are on this Picasa album. Again I've tried to photograph it from the most relevant angles. I was too lazy to move it significantly, if anyone needs more photographs, please let me know which bits you want pictures of and I'll be happy to oblige.

Last edited:

thevortex

What is this??!

Psychotropic selling the Usher S520? That must mean that the upgrade is something really special - even delicious!

Come on, dont keep us on the edge of our seats.

All the best on the sale.

PS - I hate Stevie for starting off with these riddles. :)

spirovious

I will love to have NAd with F1,but I need ti sale Kenwood KA-80 before.
psychotropic is not wishing to sale outside chennai.

psychotropic

@vortex - hehe yes, the upgrade certainly is something special and rather rare. I will reveal all very shortly. Of course the upgrading is fully contingent on my being able to sell these two things. So let's see :)

@spiro - wish i could help bro, but the prospect of packing and shipping is just too much effort! if you know anyone who can pick it up or something, do let me know.

spirovious

Well my brother is in Banglore,but already got Kenwood which doesnt match F1 well(bass).

cruise_1982

I was looking for an used amp and found a rotel few weeks back, if not I would have loved to pick up your NAD.

ash147

Re: The Amplifier

NAD C320BEE - Some background

The NAD C320BE (and its successors the 325 and the 326 which vary only very slightly from the 320) needs no introduction. the BEE stands for Bjorn Erik Edvardson the designer of the legendary NAD 3020 and the C320BEE signified the rebirth of the philosophies underlying the 3020. It's a 50w per channel integrated stereo amplifier. I'll leave the description to Art Dudley from Stereophile:

In light of that, the C320's clean layout and excellent build quality come as nothing less than a shock. The transformer is a toroid, all the output devices and voltage regulators are mounted on generously sized heatsinks, and all the C320's active parts are discrete. Solid-copper bus bars abound. Connectors are gold-plated and sturdy without being silly about it.​

It's conservatively rated at 50w, it is genuinely a hefty amplifier that can tame some seriously difficult speakers with ease. The current supply is prodigious which means that deep bass and loud passages are handled with aplomb. It has the signature NAD sound, so it's not the last word in detail, but it's warm, smooth sound that is completely non-fatiguing. Pair it with detailed electronics or speakers and it works a treat. Here's more from Art Dudley and Stereophile:

I don't feel the least bit silly putting a $399 integrated amp in the same system with a $3500 SACD player, $8000 speakers, and God only knows how many dollars' worth of cables. I do, however, feel silly being so critical of something that performs better in that setting than I have any right to expect. The C320BEE is a really nice little amp, and totally worthy of whatever laurel leaves the 3020 has shaken from its head....The NAD is musically and sonically accomplished, and is probably about as close to organic sound as you can get for this kind of money.​

My NAD - Condition etc.,

I bought the NAD used from Hyderabad in August 2009, went there, picked it up and carried it back myself. The amp itself is about 5 years old. The condition is very good. No visible dings or scratches. The unused RCA inputs (all other than the CD input) could do with a cleaning with isopropyl alcohol. Otherwise the amp is in excellent condition. Comes with the remote also (I don't have a picture, because I forgot to take one, will update the album ASAP). Functionally it's perfect, all knobs, switches and everything work perfectly. However, during cold/rainy weather I usually have to switch on the main power switch, and then give it five minutes to warm up, before it starts up properly. Otherwise it turns off. This has never been a significant problem, and the fix is consistent and repeatable. I mention this only in the interest of full disclosure :). Overall it's a great stereo amp and can even drive floorstanders beautifully. It's built like a tank and will last you for many years. And oh yes, food-free, pet-free, child-free environment for the last 9 months. Original box and packing are not available, but I'll personally hand-deliver it anywhere in Chennai (and help you set it up also if you wish ;) )

Reason for Sale

My little tripath amp. In my 10 by 10 room it is more than sufficient right now and I've learnt to live without the convenience of a remote control. I wouldn't be selling this amp except that I need to collect as much money as possible to finance the speaker upgrade. So, it is a reluctant sale.

Expected Price

The C326BEE currently goes for about 28k. Old stocks of C325BEE go for roughly 22k and both of these are virtually identical to this amplifier. The amplifier is in very good condition. I am looking for 9k for this, and I think it's a very good price :)

Delivery

I am happy to drop this off anywhere in Chennai. I will not ship it anywhere else. I could consider bringing it to Bangalore, but I would seriously prefer not to.
How much I wish 2 b in chennai ? :sad:
I am looking out for NADs and ur price suits me...If anyone can help them to be carted to Mumbai !!!

spirovious

How much I wish 2 b in chennai ? :sad:
I am looking out for NADs and ur price suits me...If anyone can help them to be carted to Mumbai !!!
This amp is origined in Mumbai,trvel to Hyderabad them to Chennai.
Its long story.

psychotropic

hey spiro, you know about this amp eh? AFAIK it was bought in hyderabad. the owner moved to bombay and then sold it before leaving the country. i am not sure whether the amp moved with him to bombay and back, or whether the amp was always in hyderabad.

gobble

This amp is origined in Mumbai,trvel to Hyderabad them to Chennai.
Its long story.
Courier is easier than you thought. Don't use road transport as it is like shock test and drop test over all the potholes of India from Hyd ot Mum. GATI will send by train. Else speedpost is cheaper than you thought. :)

Cheers

psychotropic

okay guys, i think i should change my delivery terms a bit. If the purchaser is happy to pay full actual cost of shipping, by a shipper of his choice, i'll pack and deliver to the shipper, on the condition of course that my liability ends at the hands of the shipper, ie i will not be responsible for transit damage. If necessary you can ask another HFV member in chennai to verify the working order and condition of the components before i pack and ship.

spirovious

hey spiro, you know about this amp eh? AFAIK it was bought in hyderabad. the owner moved to bombay and then sold it before leaving the country. i am not sure whether the amp moved with him to bombay and back, or whether the amp was always in hyderabad.
Yes,he carried from Mumbai to Hyderabad as I read this when you were about to purchase.

psychotropic

okay peeps, i have a pukka offer for the amp, so unless there is some slip between the cup and the lip, I think the amp is gone. The speakers are still available though. Grab it before they also disappear :)

rams1977

:licklips: Would have loved this offer 8 months back! Im sure psycho is having too good an upgrade. can't wait to see what it is:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.