Using led/lcd on inverter

Though there is no harm as such, you will drain the batteries quickly. An inverter is supposed to be used as an emergency backup.

Cheers

Well its perfectly fine to use inverters ,but the low end ones which output square wave can cause long term harm to devices based on inductive load in this case the power supply of tvs be it lcd/led or plasma.

Some low end inverters even output high voltage of around 260 to 270v,which again isn't good.

Well its perfectly fine to use inverters ,but the low end ones which output square wave can cause long term harm to devices based on inductive load in this case the power supply of tvs be it lcd/led or plasma.

I dont think square wave is a problem at least for the TVs becase they have an SMPS power supply. The SMPS directly converts incoming 230V AC to DC using a high voltage bridge rectifier. So square wave is actually better.
But there can be problems related poor regulation and quality of the output from the inverter that can damage the equipment .

I am using my home theater with SuKam Falcon 600 watts UPS without any issues. Very satisfied with this UPS and gives very good backup time.

My setup Setup (Pioneer LX-60, Tata sky HD+, LG 42' LCD).

I am using a 1450VA Sinewave Home UPS and have ABSOLUTELY NO ISSUES running ANY equipment including LCD TV, PC, Electronic charges of different devices, Tubelights, fans, AVR, another 1kVA APC Squarewave UPS in Series (to connect to PC and TS+HD as this UPS is currently redundant) - several CFLs and bulbs, 3 Laptops, ALL AT ONCE! With minimal load including LCD and AVR, I get more than 10 hours of back (never had low battery trouble and I never bother whether utility power is on or not!).

Talking particularly of LCDs, they have very good SMPS based power supplies with voltage controllers, so NONE of the INVERTERS including CHEAP ones should not cause ANY threat unless it generate high voltage spikes which I have not seen ANY making.

Last edited:
A SMPS is still a inductive load.

I have talked to some senior engineers at Schneider electric ,the people that make APC products for indian market,they did say a square wave does have a effect on the components,while one may not see the effects immediately in the long term it does have some effect.

You also hear buzzing sound in square wave based UPS on corsair SMPS,but not with a sinewave based UPS,so they do have some form of effect.

Fans ,CFL bulbs etc run a slightly warmer with square wave.

I have talked to some senior engineers at Schneider electric ,the people that make APC products for indian market,they did say a square wave does have a effect on the components,while one may not see the effects immediately in the long term it does have some effect.

You also hear buzzing sound in square wave based UPS on corsair SMPS,but not with a sinewave based UPS,so they do have some form of effect.

Yes, as we have already discussed, a Sine Wave UPS is BEST. However, talking of SE/APC, I am not aware of any Home/PC Sine Wave UPS/Inverter they manufacture in India! So its strange that they say Square waves can harm equipment (which technically they are right), they hardly manufacture any Sine or evey Pseudo Sine (Ramp) wave inverters.

Talking of buzzing noise, only my 19" Sony Monitor makes it when connected to the APC UPS (my DSP Sinewave Home UPS works perfectly fine). I have connected my LCD TV to the APC UPS and it still do not make any noise (including my PC SMPS or any other electronic/SMPS based chargers and equipments). So while SMPS can be an inductive load if it contain a step up/down transformers, these days most of the SMPS supplies are transformerless (except for an isolation transformer). Also, that noise do not mean that the equipment can go for a toss, it just mean that there is an inductance coil which is RESONATING due to square waves (this is due to the temporary DC clipping voltage a square wave supply creates). They may generate more heat form those coils where in extreme condition (which may NEVER happen), the coil insulation can get burned due to the heat.

Gist - Using a Pure Sinewave Inverter CAN generate cleaner Power Supply than even a utility supply! So until you are using a good Sinewave Home UPS/Inverter, you are rest assured that you could use ANY equipment on that without any fear!

Last edited:
Yes, as we have already discussed, a Sine Wave UPS is BEST. However, talking of SE/APC, I am not aware of any Home/PC Sine Wave UPS/Inverter they manufacture in India! So its strange that they say Square waves can harm equipment (which technically they are right), they hardly manufacture any Sine or evey Pseudo Sine (Ramp) wave inverters.
Apc does make Sinewave home inverters/UPS
APC Home UPS, 1000VA, Sine wave output
APC Home UPS, 650VA, Sine wave output
APC Home UPS, 850VA, Sine wave output

Even before the above models they had made a 800VA sine wave model.

They also have a lot of sinewave based UPS meant for PCs and all the way upto data centers

This statement may not be correct. Can you please explain why you think SMPS load is inductive ?

For the benefit of all , could you be specific here, as to what these long term effects are ? I understand this for an inductive load like a fan or a motor, but this is not applicable to SMPS power supplies. As a matter of fact, in an SMPS, other than the bridge rectifier, none of the other components get to see a sine wave . Its all high frequency square waves inside ( ok, not exactly square but with varying pulse widths )

This is mostly coming from a current limiting inductor or a PFC inductor for reducing harmonics.

True for fans because of high frequency harmonics present in square wave. But should not have an effect on CFL because CFL again use a bridge rectifier at the input stage. If you are referring to an old style 4ft tube light with inductor ballast (choke ), the choke might over heat. But if it is an electronic ballast , then it should not have an effect.

This statement may not be correct. Can you please explain why you think SMPS load is inductive ?[/COLOR]

For the benefit of all , could you be specific here, as to what these long term effects are ? I understand this for an inductive load like a fan or a motor, but this is not applicable to SMPS power supplies. As a matter of fact, in an SMPS, other than the bridge rectifier, none of the other components get to see a sine wave . Its all high frequency square waves inside ( ok, not exactly square but with varying pulse widths )[/COLOR]

True for fans because of high frequency harmonics present in square wave. But should not have an effect on CFL because CFL again use a bridge rectifier at the input stage. If you are referring to an old style 4ft tube light with inductor ballast (choke ), the choke might over heat. But if it is an electronic ballast , then it should not have an effect.[/COLOR]

Well it was the they Schneider folks said,in the conversation i had roughly more then a year ago.

This looks very recent development as about 2 to 3 years old, I didn't see any sinewave UPS. My 1kVA SmartUPS is also SQUARE WAVE.

If you mean you have a APC Smart UPS its has to be a Sinewave.I have a 1kva model its a sinewave.

There was a sinewave inverter by APC even in 2004 called BI800 F orT APC Power Inverter 800VA with Tubular Battery

APC Launches Pure Sine Wave 800 VA Inverter - UTV Channel Times

This model was replaced in 2006 by the squarewave models

In 2007 APC sine wave inverter made its return with the BI1000I
In 2010 two more models APC 850sine and 650sine were launched.

I Am getting confused by all this discussion, as the thoughts are equivocal, Should i use my Su Kam Inverter which is old and it gives square wave as fans and light buzz and run fast when on Inverter, should I use it with the Sony Led 55" , as here power cuts happen too much.

i am using a apc rs 600 back up ups to avoid sudden switching on and shutting down of my sony led . no problem as of now . At least i can switch off tv properly

We can use Square wave inverters on any SMPS based power supplies without any issue. This includes all LCD/LED TVs/Monitors and even Plasma TVs.

CRT Monitors and TVs will have humming noise and may develop temporary or permanent issues as their power supplies are not SMPS based.

If you mean you have a APC Smart UPS its has to be a Sinewave.I have a 1kva model its a sinewave.

There was a sinewave inverter by APC even in 2004 called BI800 F orT APC Power Inverter 800VA with Tubular Battery

APC Launches Pure Sine Wave 800 VA Inverter - UTV Channel Times

This model was replaced in 2006 by the squarewave models

In 2007 APC sine wave inverter made its return with the BI1000I
In 2010 two more models APC 850sine and 650sine were launched.
My apologies buddy, I have a 1kVA "Back-UPS" :)

after going through all the technicalities and some of it just flew far off my head..

i have a 800va sine wave sukam invertor with a 200 battery.. and 42in lcd, tata sky, z5500, dvd player along with a fan and tubelights.. runs just fine...

however for the tv and speakers i have added another 500va (pc based) ups as protection as it takes the load for that minor fluctuation when the light goes off and the invertor comes into play..

runs just fine for hours together.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back