Using old DVD hometheater speakers in to AVR

apshajan

Hello members,

I have a 12 year old LG DVD home theater (LG HT 302 SD working perfectly with Dolby dvds) without digital inputs. Recently I upgraded my TV to a 55" MI TV 4 pro with HDMI ARC and coaxial out (no optical out). So Iam planning to buy an av receiver. My budget is Rs.50000/- Can I use the speakers from DVD HT in AVR temporarily? Specifications are below.

Satalite speakers impedence 4 ohms
Rated Input power - 45w
Max input power - 90w
Frequency response -160 Hz to 20 KHz
Sound pressure level - 82dB/W.

If that possible can I use it with Yamaha 585 (6 ohm drive with all connectivity features) or should I go with denon x1500h (4 ohm drive without coaxial input and eARC). If not possible which is better
Yamaha YHT 3072 IN HTIB or Yamaha HTR 3072 + taga harmony 506?
Sorry for my bad english

hi.
driving a 4ohm speaker with a 6ohm avr is not recommended, as the speaker will draw huge currents which the avr cant handle.
this will cause the avr fuses to blow and protect it from further damage.
Also remember that 4ohm is passive resistance and it changes wrt frequency once you are playing sound.

so how to fix this?
option 1: increase the resistance as seen by avr. so connect two 4ohm speakers in series to avr as now the effective resistance becomes 8ohms.
option 2: connect 4 ohms speaker to avr but ensure you are not playing high volumes. so reduce the db's for those channels.

Hello members,

I have a 12 year old LG DVD home theater (LG HT 302 SD working perfectly with Dolby dvds) without digital inputs. Recently I upgraded my TV to a 55" MI TV 4 pro with HDMI ARC and coaxial out (no optical out). So Iam planning to buy an av receiver. My budget is Rs.50000/- Can I use the speakers from DVD HT in AVR temporarily? Specifications are below.

Satalite speakers impedence 4 ohms
Rated Input power - 45w
Max input power - 90w
Frequency response -160 Hz to 20 KHz
Sound pressure level - 82dB/W.

If that possible can I use it with Yamaha 585 (6 ohm drive with all connectivity features) or should I go with denon x1500h (4 ohm drive without coaxial input and eARC). If not possible which is better
Yamaha YHT 3072 IN HTIB or Yamaha HTR 3072 + taga harmony 506?
Sorry for my bad english
I had used my Panasonic HT speakers rated at 3 ohms for my surrounds, centre and rear surround. I had capped the volume on my then Denon 1200 AVR at 60% and never crossed volume levels of 50-55%. The set up worked for about two years.

So Iam planning to buy an av receiver. My budget is Rs.50000/-

Yamaha HTR 3072 + taga harmony 506?

This would be better choice than the HTIB package.. You can add a sub later..

If you are open to used, get an used 7.1 AVR from the forum members + add Taga 506 5.0 and re-use a pair of your satellite speakers from LG to complete 7.0 (if the AVR supports 4 ohms)..

Sorry for the delay. If the AVR (denon x1500h/x1600h) support 4 ohms speaker can I use the speakers mentioned? Power handling is only 45w to 90w. Will it survive the power from the AVR? Any speaker blown out happen?

Sorry for the delay. If the AVR (denon x1500h/x1600h) support 4 ohms speaker can I use the speakers mentioned? Power handling is only 45w to 90w. Will it survive the power from the AVR? Any speaker blown out happen?

Yes, it should.. Use the speaker as heights (or) surrounds, whichever would suit your need..

Only for surrounds and heights? What about use it as 5.1 speakers temporarily. (Subwoofer is passive but the DVD reciever can use as an amp. ie sw out from AVR connect to the aux input of dvd HT )

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back