using stb of one company with dish of other company

jatinsoni200654

Any body tried using set top box of one company with wiring and dish of other company.
Ex Tata sky STB on airtel wiring or something like that.Is there any change in dish position of diff companies.

Any body tried using set top box of one company with wiring and dish of other company.
Ex Tata sky STB on airtel wiring or something like that.Is there any change in dish position of diff companies.

I think you need to change something called LNB that sits at the end of the dish in the air, to read the signals collected by the dish. But nobody sells LNB without dish. Besides the curvature of the dish may be optimized for certain satellite signal bands? Check with a physics expert. :)

Cheers

I thought it was too easy...:(
When will dth in india would take into shape like in mobile industry.jst insert sim of any company into ur own hardware...

I thought it was too easy...:(
When will dth in india would take into shape like in mobile industry.jst insert sim of any company into ur own hardware...

It may actually be possible with the LNB and you own home made dish. If you read EFY regularly these tricks are explained .... :)

You will need to realign the dish,tata sky ,dish or any other DTH uses KU-Band dishes,so they should work with other dishes of other DTH.
TS dish faces S.E(precisely 83.0E) where as airtel faces S.W.(precisely at 74.0E).

Last edited:
You simply need to realign the dish to the other satellite.

The SAME Dish + LNB + Wiring will work PERFECTLY for ANY Indian DTH Platform. :)

Ofcourse the STB & SMART Card will have to be changed.

I thought it was too easy...

This was ACTUALLY the Govt's thinking, and the LAW ( Actually a fundamental clause in the DTH License ) is that all STBs MUST be inter-operable.

Since each DTH Platform uses its own (different) CAS system, each DTH STB is BY LAW required to have a slot where another DTH providers CAM (Conditional Access Module) can be fitted, to use the STB for another DTH service.

DISH TV had this in their 1st STBs. As other STB players entered the market, they did not bother with the Compulsory CAM Slot, and the govt. looked the other way... until a couple of months ago, when the I&B ministry sent all the DTH Platforms a notice why they were in violation of the Licence norms !:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Expect to see some boxes with a vacant CAM slot. Most are waiting to see if the Govt will follow thru its notice ! :D

To give an idea of the extent to which consumers have lost money:mad:, by being stuck with Boxes they cant do anything with... there are an estimated 5 million "De-authorised" ( no valid subscription) DTH STBs.

If the consumer paid Rs 1500 for each STB, that is Rs 750 CRORES of Consumer money locked up.:mad::mad::mad:

It may be of interest that the TRAI ( Just YESTERDAY) has dictated that DTH platforms MUST offer consumers 3 Options for STBs::)

Hire-Purchase
Lease
Outright Purchase.

Lots of other stuff in the TRAI's dictate that kicks in by 1st Sept....:yahoo: Includes that

* ALL DTH pay channels MUST be offered as stand alone also,
* The subscriber not forced to accept any bouquet because he wants just 1 channel. Today most DTH platforms offer only about 15% of all their channels on a single channel option.
* A channel can force a 3 month subscription at most. Currently Star Sports & ESPN are available only for a minimum of 6 months subscription, since they know that they have prime content only for a month or 2 in a 6 month period ... :clapping:

Last edited:
Well For TRAI we can say Der aaye Durust aaye :clapping:
Thanks for giving such a relieved answer Phewww.Certainely i will try this by interchaging my airtel stb and tata sky HD stb which are at two diff locations,1 is at Panipat another at jaipur....:)

Do remember that you will have to re-align yr Dish to point it to the satellite you want to receive !

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back