Vacuum Record cleaning machine - suggestion please

AMITNOIDA

After setting up my Turntable and Phonostage, I am satisfied with them. Next thing. which I feel to have one is a Vacuum Record cleaning machine (No DIY). My LP numbers are around 250 (90% from used market and 10% new) and they are likely to increase further regularly.

Presently I have a Knosti manual cleaning machine and cleaned around 50% of the records (balance is yet to be cleaned). Knosti do a fairly reasonable job and removes dirt. But I experienced that the LPs cleaned by vacuum cleaning machine produce better top end and better sound. I have checked myself with two identical LPs - one cleaned in Nitty Gritty RCM and one cleaned with my Knosti played in Manav's TT. The difference in sound was distinct.

So, the common thinking that when the LP numbers crosses say around 500, then only it makes sense to go for RCM - is not always correct. Rather vacuum RCM is better to arrange in the beginning, specially when one collects most of his records from Used market.

The common brands of vacuum RCM are :
VPI
Nitty Gritty
Okki Nokki

Need your input / suggestions about their comparative advantages/disadvantages, availability in India, prices etc. I have heard that VPI machines are costlier but better build. To me the effectiveness of vacuum and ease of use is the most important factor.

Need your suggestions please..

Regards

KAB EV-1 is great VFM.You will need to provide the vacuum. KAB EV-1 RECORD CLEANER AT KABUSA.COM

Regards,
Sachin

Thanks Sachin. This KAB model, I came accross while searching for RCM in the net. It requires external wet vac cleaner of canister type. Any such vac cleaner brand/model available in India? The KAB model being light weight is easy to import than the Nitty Gritty.

Regards

Thanks Sachin. This KAB model, I came accross while searching for RCM in the net. It requires external wet vac cleaner of canister type. Any such vac cleaner brand/model available in India? The KAB model being light weight is easy to import than the Nitty Gritty.

Regards

Wet vac is available by Eureka Forbes for around 9K

Regards

Hi,
I think Wet/dry Vac cleaners are available in India.

Regards,
Sachin

SO, I too would like to go in and invest in a record cleaning machine. With now a collection of close to 700 LPs, I think it's about time I gave the ol' arm a rest and got a machine to do the cleaning! As you all know, cleaning and maintaining your records, especially living in Bombay right by the sea, is crucial in enjoying the vinyl experience.

However, I really don't want to spend 50-60k on a cleaner, when I can probably buy a used 301 in mint for that much. I guess I could go up to 30k if necessary, but are there any good vaccum machine cleaners in that range? Including importing to India,duty, octroi, vat, etc?

Any suggestions welcome. Anyone tried the KAB kit?

It seems the KAB EV is a manual by hand RCM.. I would prefer an automatic one.. How much is the Nitty Gritty shipped costing?

Stevieboy has Moth Audio's RCM kit, heard good things about them. Maybe he can provide his first-hand experience with it...

While I do not own any RCM yet, I did get some of my records cleaned using the general spin clean-brush-dry method and some with Okki Nokki. The difference is not subtle. The statics were removed to a large degree and the sound is more transparent when cleaned with Okki Nokki.

If you own old records (I do a lot) then it becomes even more important that you have a good RCM. We anyway cannot improve the recordings on these vinyls nor can remove scratches, the minimum we can do is clean it as well as we can. All my records are now cleaned with Okki Nokki. It gives me lot of mental peace. All I need to do is just spray some anti static liquid and start playing the records.

Okki Nokki costs about SGD 750 here, that is around INR 27k.

Last edited:
Dr. Bass,
You are very correct. Vacuum cleaning RCMs help in producing more transparent and top end sound than Spin clean / Knosty cleaners. Now, the Okki Nokki Singapore price is fair and affordable, if one get it through somebody visiting / coming from Singapore. How big and heavy it is?
Regards

Getting Okki Nokki from singapore is a good option, but how much will one have to pay getting it through customs??

Also, I heard that Sushil from Nova Audio in Mumbai offers record cleaning services. He charges Rs 60 per record (including new inner sleeve)

So Rs 60 x 700 records (approx) = Rs 42,000 to clean my entire collection once.

Also, I heard that Sushil from Nova Audio in Mumbai offers record cleaning services. He charges Rs 60 per record (including new inner sleeve)

I tried once. Somehow I wasn't impressed (pops and crackles which were there earlier got minimised but did not go away completely - am I expecting too much???). May be the proper process was not followed. I really don't know.

where do you store 700 Lp's in Mumbai

Well I have about 500 or so that I listen to and about 200 that belong to my parents that are in storage. You'd be surprised, if you have enough shelf space, vinyl stacks up pretty well (as opposed to cd's for example)
Yes.. it's an addiction :p

Well I have about 500 or so that I listen to and about 200 that belong to my parents that are in storage. You'd be surprised, if you have enough shelf space, vinyl stacks up pretty well (as opposed to cd's for example)
Yes.. it's an addiction :p

100% agree! they stack up quite easily. and easy to get addicted to as well..... the art... the SQ.... everything! its a nasha beyond anything!

Somehow I wasn't impressed (pops and crackles which were there earlier got minimised but did not go away completely - am I expecting too much???). May be the proper process was not followed. I really don't know.

Pops and crackles caused by groove damage will never go away by record cleaning, either manually or by an RCM. You might just about minimize the level of crackling by using a cheap cartridge or one with a spherical tip. A second TT or a removeable headshell with such a cartridge are often used for worn records by people with large collections that have their share of LPs that are not pristine.

On the other hand, if it'is just dirt that is stuck in the groove, a cleaning method is invaluable. Playing a dirty LP that is otherwise in fine shape is a sure recipe for long term deterioration , as the stylus-dirt interface provides enough friction and heat to damage the grooves permanently. And remember, it's the groove that's tracking the stylus, not the other way round.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back