Valve Amplifier and Matching speaker

Can any one explain how a lower rated (watts) valve amplifier can drive a higher rated speakers.
I was confused when a Valve amplifier maker said dB rating of the speaker matters (and not the watt) and his 5 watt amp can drive 90db speakers.
I am yet to see a proper explanation of this . Can any member shed some information on this

passingly read something about valve amps and speakers written by audionote today. Not being too inclined, I didnt read through it thoroughly, maybe it could help you.

Can any one explain how a lower rated (watts) valve amplifier can drive a higher rated speakers.
I was confused when a Valve amplifier maker said dB rating of the speaker matters (and not the watt) and his 5 watt amp can drive 90db speakers.
I am yet to see a proper explanation of this . Can any member shed some information on this
Broadly it means higher the speaker sensitivity less amplifier power it would require to make same sound level. Since single ended or push pull valve amplifiers are low power high sensitivity speakers are preferred. Do share details and update in future how it went.
Thanks and Regards

Last edited:
This article should help:

Viren

Mr Bakhshi, is there any difference whatsoever in a SS Watt and Tube Watt in terms of its speaker driving power? Or are they equivalent?

a Valve amplifier maker said dB rating of the speaker matters (and not the watt) and his 5 watt amp can drive 90db speakers.

The Audionote article linked by Sushant suggests that’d depend on more than just the speaker’s sensitivity - on its impedance, phase angles and Back EMF as well. And in real life, the room conditions too. So what the amplifier maker said seems a general thumb rule - your actual decision on the amplifier wattage should be based on multi-parameter assessment of the drivability of your specific speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sachin,

Power is a technical specification, and tests the same in either solid-state or tube amp.

It is the subjective experience in listening where differences arise. Tube amps clip more gracefully, especially single-ended tube amps, and give the impression of more power reserve than their technical spec allows. Also, the distortion signature in tube amps is more conducive to the ears, and allows peaks in music without harshness.

Again, it is the pairing of amp and speaker which gives you the magic. Technical specs give no indication at all - only listening is the judge.

Viren

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back