Velodyne Impact 10 poor performance

utkarsh

Hi All,

I just got an Velodyne Impact 10 and overall im not satisfied with the performance :mad:. I can't listen any thump while playing mp3 & Flac songs. Bass improves when feeding with DTS and Dolby Digital but not upto my taste.
I have read some good reviews for Velodyne Impact here anybody please throw some light what im doing wrong.
Setup in AVR
Front Speakers are set to SMALL.
Bass Settings : LFE + Main
Subwoofer Volume: + 3 (Auto Audyssey setup has set it -6.0 dB)
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency : 120Hz
Front BS Crossover Frequency : 40Hz
Rear Crossover Frequency : 60Hz
Speaker Setup : A

Subwoofer volume is set 12 Oclock position.
subwoofer frequency knob at 80 HZ
Phase : 0 degree.
Sub is in front right corner, to the side and set back from the Bookshelf.

I will have a final go calibrating Audio by using SPL meter.

Will Breaking in apply to Subwoofer
So I know that there are two schools of thought on breaking in speakers. Mainly those who think it's not true and those who do. Does this divide also apply to subwoofers?

You could have a bass null at your listening position.

Trying re positioning the sub

[youtube]AV3oLLMgS-M[/youtube]

If possible place the sub at listening position, kneel down at different positions where you can actually place the sub and find the sweet spot. Place your sub at that position. If not you can simply move the sub around and try.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk

Are you using stereo or straight mode for music? Try Dolby prologic or DTS Neo6.

I have tested on Dolby prologic and DTS Neo6.

If possible place the sub at listening position, kneel down at different positions where you can actually place the sub and find the sweet spot. Place your sub at that position. If not you can simply move the sub around and try.

I have used the Crawl Method to find the best spots in the room to placing the Sub.

I have a velodyne impact 10 and I have set the phase at 180, may be you could try that.

Avoid using LFE+Front. Just use the Sub

Set the frequency knob in Sub all the way up and control the frequency in AVR.

Important: In my denon I had the same problem, I could hardly hear any music coming out of my Sub despite setting the LFE crossover to 80, but later I realized LFE works only in DVD and BD, for stereo there is a different setting in Speaker config it was set at 40 Hz, I changed it to 80 and then my sub came to life while watching Stereo content.

You have said "Front BS Crossover Frequency : 40Hz" what is that ? You need to set it at 80 Hz

Last edited:
Hi All,

I just got an Velodyne Impact 10 and overall im not satisfied with the performance :mad:. I can't listen any thump while playing mp3 & Flac songs. Bass improves when feeding with DTS and Dolby Digital but not upto my taste.
I have read some good reviews for Velodyne Impact here anybody please throw some light what im doing wrong.
Setup in AVR
Subwoofer Volume: + 3 (Auto Audyssey setup has set it -6.0 dB)
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency : 120Hz
Front BS Crossover Frequency : 40Hz
Rear Crossover Frequency : 60Hz

subwoofer frequency knob at 80 HZ
Phase : 0 degree.
Sub is in front right corner, to the side and set back from the Bookshelf.

I will have a final go calibrating Audio by using SPL meter.

Will Breaking in apply to Subwoofer
So I know that there are two schools of thought on breaking in speakers. Mainly those who think it's not true and those who do. Does this divide also apply to subwoofers?

Unless I'm missing something majorly, your entire frequency set-up is in mess. Amplifier set sub @ 120hz whereas sub-amp set @ 80hz. What happens to frequencies in the range 80hz to 120hz? Sub wont play anything above 80 and avr wont play anything below 120hz.

For music, when the sound is mostly in front mains, you have set BS to 40hz that means anything below that goes to sub. Anything below 40hz range never creates thump. Its always ambiance. Rather your front BS should give you more thump, if they are capable of producing those frequencies. From your signature I can see you have Avianos. As far I know they cannot produce 40hz with authority. So in short your entire setup will miss these frequencies.

Even for movies, your bass settings are LFE + mains. Since most part of the movies play sound front the front channels, therefore the sub will get mixed bass inputs. I would suggest to keep the bass to mains + lfe, as in tat case the bass comes from a particular direction and not a single direction, i.e sub.

Try this: Manual overide Audyssey and do the following settings after the Audyssey is run. Sub amp set @ 100-120hz, AVR set @ 120-100 hz, Bass: Mains + LFE, Leave the rear channel to whatever Audyssey decides. Wharfedale rears will anyway not play lower fqs with authority. Then you can adjust the volume in sub to match your taste. You can play with the lower frequency setting but dont go too low as the BS will not respond with ease.
Please correct me if I'm overlooking something drastically.

In general Velodyne subs are good!

Last edited:
Now i can hear a good bass in stereo mode by doing changing in settings. I have override all the settings done by Auto Audyssey Setup.
Setup in AVR
Subwoofer Volume: 0dB
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency : 80Hz
Front BS Crossover Frequency : 60Hz
Center Crossover Frequency : 90Hz
Rear Crossover Frequency : 80Hz

subwoofer frequency knob at Full open
Phase : 0 degree. (I can't hear any difference by switching to 180 degree).

What i have understood is Aviano 2 have a frequency response of 45hz - 20khz. I take that to mean that any frequency under the 45hz will not be reproduced by the speaker. So the AVR should have the crossover frequency for that speaker set to 50 -60hz so that 50hz and lower frequencies will be sent to the sub to be reproduced.

Nice to hear things are working for you and Velodyne is not disappointing anymore.
- Phase switch is applicable only when there are more than one subs, which typically nullify each others waves. This is just basic explanation, theres lot to it.
45hz to 20khz means with a volume range of say +-3 dbl, the speakers will produce that region. It will produce less than 45hz but the volume / level for these frequencies will be very low/non flat. Also, even if you increase the volume for these frequencies using equalizer, they will not respond positively and it might lead to excursion limits of the cone leading to damaging the speakers.
In reality I doubt if the cone directly produces these frequencies. Typically you can hear these from the ports but may not be from the cone, because they have comparatively small sized drivers.

Now i can hear a good bass in stereo mode by doing changing in settings. I have override all the settings done by Auto Audyssey Setup.
Setup in AVR

Front BS should be set in 80 as well. You will get much more cleaner low frequency sound. You Front speaker's manual might say it could go down to 50 Hz, but still you will set it at 80 Hz, so the Sub takes care of anything less than 80 Hz which will free up your Front speakers to do what they are good at doing, High and Mid range. Your whole set up will sound lot cleaner. No matter what front speakers you are using , it cant be as good as a sub in reproducing sound lover than 80 Hz. Try and see the difference

Last edited:
is crossover point in avr a hard cut off for all frequencies below it? Since this would be in digital domain, I assume it will be possible to cut freq out abruptly, or an infinite slope.

is crossover point in avr a hard cut off for all frequencies below it? Since this would be in digital domain, I assume it will be possible to cut freq out abruptly, or an infinite slope.

Thats indeed a good point. I once tried to switch on and off crossover frequently to see the difference. Approximately it looked its a slope and not a cut off point. But again I cant be sure thats the way it works in AVR. It would be nice to get a concrete answer on this.

Right now I'm using MX cable 1RCA to 2RCA do you think buying Chord Cobra, Crimson or Audioquest subwoofer Cable will improve subwoofer performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Right now I'm using MX cable 1RCA to 2RCA do you think buying Chord Cobra, Crimson or Audioquest subwoofer Cable will improve subwoofer performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

i was facing the same issue with my polk sub & later got to know that there was a minor break in cable. once i replaced it, it got very good :D

unless there isn't physical breakage, changing cable will not help. try doing micro processor reset on your AVR to bring it to the factory default settings & then just play (it mostly sets the fronts to large by default)...factory default settings itself should/suppose to give you satisfying results...if not then continue tweaking with the settings :)

Setup in AVR
Subwoofer Volume: 0dB
Subwoofer Crossover Frequency : 80Hz
Center Crossover Frequency : 90Hz
Rear Crossover Frequency : 80Hz

subwoofer frequency knob at Full open
Phase : 0 degree. (I can't hear any difference by switching to 180 degree).

What i have understood is Aviano 2 have a frequency response of 45hz - 20khz. I take that to mean that any frequency under the 45hz will not be reproduced by the speaker. So the AVR should have the crossover frequency for that speaker set to 50 -60hz so that 50hz and lower frequencies will be sent to the sub to be reproduced.

Front BS Crossover Frequency : 60Hz (should be set to 80Hz, 60Hz is ok for Towers despite Audessey recommending 80Hz for all fronts, FS or BS)

To appreciate those ICs you would need subwoofer costing 50k and above. For this sub I don't think there will be any perceivable difference. IMHO.

I faced this sort of problem when my sub started misbehaving and sounded dull and totally juiced out. For testing I connected it directly to audio out of set top box. Felt that it got its energy back. Luckily it was Denon AVR which was misbehaving. Resetting AVR microprocessor to factory default did the trick. Now everything is in place.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back