Velodyne Impact 12 - auto standby issues!!

Raghav_K

i got an velodyne impact 12 subwoofer today, and it has an auto standby feature wherein it goes to standby mode if no signal comes to the woofer for few minutes!!

i have a yamaha rxv 675 amp with zensors as front n centres. subwoofer out 1 connected to the velodyne via rca cable - y splitter - two inputs in the subwoofer.. the amplifier has a second subwoofer out unused..

initially i could not get the subwoofer to turn on from standby, i thought it was a manufacturing defect, but when i connected the subwoofer cable to av out of the amp, or the dth, it turned on!! the manual mentions some amplifiers with weak subwoofer out signals may have problems with this auto standby feature...

so i increased the gain of the sub to +10 in amplifier settings, and lowered the gain in the subwoofer, and tried again and it started working.... but it does occasionally goes to standby when listening to music with mild bass...

my doubt is, can i use an rca Y splitter to combine the two sub pre outs in the amp, and then connect it via a single cable to the subwoofers input to get a stronger signal, or will my subwoofer go up in smoke if i do so?? :D

any other solutions welcome!!!!

did some googling and found that i can use both the subwoofer outs to a single sub... gonna try that.

and apparently +10 is too much , and gonna reduce that to +5....

rela.. dont be hasty.

try reading the velodune manual for help.

our FM santy had a velodybe sub.. PM him first before trying things too much.

Maybe spirovious.

The AVR should have an LFE out.. try taking that to the LFE in - if avbl to your sub.

else if your amp has a sub pre out.. then take a 2 rca to 2 rca and try connecting that.

Please keep sub volume at low levels..

am not much into AVR and stuff but wait till morning for someone to respond..

mpw

What is the subwoofer level in AVR setup?If low,please increase it.Its common that while playing low volumes,SW cant get right input signal and it can go in standby mode.

My sub doesn't have LFE out but two sub pre outs... Presently using one sub pre out to connect using a rca splitter at the subwoofer end

Haven't changes anything now... The subwoofer volume is midway in the subwoofer and the gain is +10 in the speaker setup in the amp..

EDIT:

i will go with this step by step.

Situation 1:

Amplifier pre out 1 connected to subwoofer input 1 & 2 via rca cable.

Amplifier gain set at +5 for the subwoofer and crossover at 80hz

The subwoofer volume at 50% and croosover dial turned all the way

Result:

The subwoofer turns on when playing thx bass reference mp3 in the laptop, the volume being -30db. But it does not turn on when played some bass heavy bluray scene at the same -30db volume or even -25db. I played the Spider man climax scene.

what should i do next???

Last edited:
My sub never went on standby when played at even mild volumes.

Did you use different media players for MP3 and Bluray?
Which player are you using for Bluray?
It looks like a problem with settings in the player.
When does it exactly turn on?
Do you see the red light turning into green or it is green all the time?

hi santy, just pmed you...

i played mp3 from laptop connected to avr,

and the disc from bluray player sony s4100 connected to avr...
the subwoofer doesn't turn on even when playing recorded 5.1 stuff from dth at regular volumes... it stays at red only.

not sure if its the sub fault or amplifier fault...

From the troubleshooting done so far it is clear sub is not an issue.
Because all it sees is analog signal and not the source.
So it has to do with settings only (on source/ AVR).

Try this
Play some 5.1 stuff from laptop on VLC with bitstreaming to AVR.
Check BD player audio settings to see if sub is disabled.
In your BDP, check if the downmix is set to stereo. Change to off/ surround mode.
Set DRC to off on both BDP and AVR.
Take LFE output directly from the BDP to the sub and see.
One input is enough for the sub. Keep the Y cable aside for now.

Some of MP3 may not have a deep bass as its not lossless.So may SW not receiving signal.
Also try changing SW cable too.

changed the audio settings in both, disabled drc in both, bdp downmix was already set to surround.

bdp doesn't have a lfe output so couldn't connect sub to that.

now tried playing the same bluray again, sub doesn't turn on... nor does when dark knight scenes from dth played...

will download vlc and try again... i have potplayer set to 5.1 output and tried playing 5.1 stuff, no output from subwoofer, its still in standby..

changes sub cable and tried, same response....

btw i tried removing the cable from the amplifier end and tapped it to see if the subwoofer wakes up... only after 4 or 5 taps it registers the signal and wakes up.. is that normal or abnormal??? i thought a single tap should wake it...

try this
preout one to LFE in of subwoofer .. dont use y cable.single RCA to rca.
pre out two to other sub
in the avr set the front as small
set the cutoff freq 120hz
in the sub disable auto cutoff switch

try this
preout one to LFE in of subwoofer .. dont use y cable.single RCA to rca.
pre out two to other sub
in the avr set the front as small
set the cutoff freq 120hz
in the sub disable auto cutoff switch

Hi thats the way it is connected now, without a y splitter... Fronts already set as small

I dont have another sub, so preout 2 is free...

Will try increasing crossover... The subwoofers crossover dial is already turned to max.

Are you listening in Pure direct mode?
With music sw will not be active as no signal to sw.
Have you played any bluray or dvd from b
dp connected digitally?Analog connection may not be good idea.

not in pure direct, processing mode only.... bluray, laptop and dth connected via hdmi to avr...

can someone confirm this??
btw i tried removing the cable from the amplifier end and tapped it to see if the subwoofer wakes up... only after 4 or 5 taps it registers the signal and wakes up.. is that normal or abnormal??? i thought a single tap should wake it...

not in pure direct, processing mode only.... bluray, laptop and dth connected via hdmi to avr...

can someone confirm this??
Is there any switch which can deactivate Standby option?In that case SW will on every time.

Raghav. Your sub seems to be haunted, you might have to cleanse it.
Or it could be gay- not mating with AVR as it should naturally. :eek:hyeah:

Jokes aside but it is very strange and it seems you have to register a complaint with the dealer for an RMA.

@ spirovious: no such switch... If there was one i would ve gladly turned it off :-(

Anyways taking the sub to my friends home tomorrow to check with his amp... If problem persists, the dealer said he ll replace it...

@mpw: :-@

@ santy: lolz... If it was haunted, i would rather keep it... Always wanted to befriend a ghost :D have already spoken to lokesh from htstore... Might have to replace it if nothing works...

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back