Very famous western classical music

Hiten

Hi,
Can you guys help me with this >>>
As Sometimes I listen to western classical, searching the net I came to know about following famous classical pieces made more famous by movies, repeated plays or background music etc. etc.

1. Also sprach Zarathustra-Richard Strauss (Used in 2001 a space odyssey)
2. Lullaby - Johannes Brahms
3, O Fortuna - Carmina Burana-Carl Orff (Used in Old Spice TV advertisement)
4. Spring Allegro -The Four Seasons - Antonio Vivaldi
5. Toccata and Fugue - Johann Sebastian Bach
6. Rossini William Tell Overture, Riccardo Muti
7. Sabre Dance (Gayane) - Aram Khachaturian (Probably used in Tom and Jerry cartoons ?? )
8. Night on Bald Mountain - Modest Mussorgsky (Used in Saturday Night Fever)
9. Bolero - Maurice Ravel
10. Fr Elise (Used in Love Story)
11. Symphony No. 5 in C minor (Very Very famous)
12. Dvorak - Symphony No. 9 "From the New World" - II (part 1)
13. Mozart Symphony No. 40 (Very Very famous)
14. Elgar, Pomp and Circumstance March No.1 (one of my favourite)

If you happen to know such famous 'popular' classical music please post them here. If you want to listen to them just copy paste titles in google. You tube has all of them, so you will get a hint what I am looking for.
:) Thanks in advance.
Hiten

Last edited:
10. Fr Elise (Used in Lover Story)
Used by many, many door bells!:lol:

I had a theory, once, that if you take all the miscellaneous snippets of melody that people [I was in UK at the time] can hum, but have no idea of where the come from, the majority would be creditable to Beethoven or Mozart!

Here are some of my favorites,

Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
Gorecki - Sorrowful songs
Bach - Brandenburg concertos, Goldberg variations

you forgot the beethoven's ninth symphony in D minor (dont have a clue what it means) from 'A clockwork orange'. stunning movie, stunning music.

Used by many, many door bells!:lol:
I had a theory, once, that if you take all the miscellaneous snippets of melody that people [I was in UK at the time] can hum, but have no idea of where the come from, the majority would be creditable to Beethoven or Mozart!
Yes and here people use it in their car's reverse gear.
I see it as this way ~ They were such brilliant composers their work not only appealed to critics but musically illiterates like me too. If you know any such 'snippets of melody' please do post.
Here are some of my favorites,
Vaughan Williams - The Lark Ascending
Gorecki - Sorrowful songs
Bach - Brandenburg concertos, Goldberg variations
Gorecki - Sorrowful songs ~ Kind of sad but beautiful
Bach - Brandenburg concertos, Goldberg variations ~ Liked it thanks Pradeep
you forgot the beethoven's ninth symphony in D minor (dont have a clue what it means) from 'A clockwork orange'. stunning movie, stunning music.
Me also dont understand. But I listen to it anyway.
beethoven's ninth symphony in D minor ~ That's good thanks doors666

Last edited:
@HITANSITAPARA
All the pieces mentioned in the thread are immortal classics which have been 'famous' for several centuries.The music of composers like Bach,Mozart and Beethoven is among the greatest achievements of mankind.Why even mention them in the same breath as some Hollywood movie,cartoon or ad.Western Classical Music is big enough to stand on its own two feet.Why should endorsement from some Hollywood midgets make it more 'famous'?
Sorry for the strong words but all too often one sees classic music and books being approached through the twisted alleys of Hollywood.
@THAD E GINATHOM

''I had a theory, once, that if you take all the miscellaneous snippets of melody that people [I was in UK at the time] can hum, but have no idea of where the come from, the majority would be creditable to Beethoven or Mozart!''
I would endorse your theory.Popular mainstream culture in the 20th century -Hollywood,Television,Radio,Pulp Fiction,Newspapers,Magazines-has destroyed the last vestige of originality from the arts.All we are left with are the silly inanities of chart topping singles,blockbuster movies,best selling novels and 'breaking(sic)news'

@HITANSITAPARA
All the pieces mentioned in the thread are immortal classics which have been 'famous' for several centuries.The music of composers like Bach,Mozart and Beethoven is among the greatest achievements of mankind.Why even mention them in the same breath as some Hollywood movie,cartoon or ad. Western Classical Music is big enough to stand on its own two feet.Why should endorsement from some Hollywood midgets make it more 'famous'?
Sorry for the strong words but all too often one sees classic music and books being approached through the twisted alleys of Hollywood.
Sorry ajay124, to put them in same line and hurt your feelings. I understand how people who understands classical music can not stand comparing them on the same level. Idea was not to put them on same level but to get to know classical pieces appreciated by one and all. I dont know what is D minor or F major or operatta or first movement or Indian classical ragas. All I am looking for is music which appeals to me and listening to them makes me feel good. Pieces I mentioned are what I liked out of hundreds I sampled on you tube. It is only coincidence that many of them were used in commercial products, so I approached my query by that way. Once I get enough numbers I will buy CDs or vinyls to listen to. (Already have few works in CD and Vinyl)

Thank you for accepting what I felt in good sport.I have to admit that now I recollect that my initiation into western classical music also began with a Hollywood film :sad:-Milos Foreman's Amadeus in the late 80's.The first tapes I brought were Mozart's Symphony 40,41,25,Piano sonata 20,21 and his Clarinet concerto in A major.Incidentally even after 25 years of listening to classical music I still have no understanding of the major and minor keys.Knowing the basics would certainly enhance the pleasure of listening to classical music but I have never let my ignorance hamper my enjoyment of the music.Once I started listening to Mozart,Bach,Beethoven,Schubert all my earlier favorites-Dylan,Hendrix,Young,Clapton,Lennon,Marley gradually fell by the wayside.The popular music of the 20th century seemed to be mere noise in comparison.....
Running short of time but will rejoin the thread later..

@HITANSITAPARA
All the pieces mentioned in the thread are immortal classics which have been 'famous' for several centuries.The music of composers like Bach,Mozart and Beethoven is among the greatest achievements of mankind.Why even mention them in the same breath as some Hollywood movie,cartoon or ad.Western Classical Music is big enough to stand on its own two feet.Why should endorsement from some Hollywood midgets make it more 'famous'?
@THAD E GINATHOM

what you say is right, but look at the other side of it. There would be a lot of people who would not have heard the music of beethoven/mozart/etc had it not been due to movies.

technically, if due to a movie, even one more person comes to know of a song, the movie is making the song more famous:lol: But I know what you mean, hollywood (and of course bollywood) has been flicking things from all over the place be it stories, music, books, other movies, all other forms of art... and then they go all guns blazing against piracy:lol:

Dylan,Hendrix,Young,Clapton,Lennon,Marley gradually fell by the wayside.The popular music of the 20th century seemed to be mere noise in comparison.....
Oh ! Hendrix and Marley they are my favourite too. They have their own place. Infact diehard fan of these artists consider some of their work as "Classic" :D.
I have to admit that now I recollect that my initiation into western classical music also began with a Hollywood film :sad:-Milos Foreman's Amadeus in the late 80's.
Running short of time but will rejoin the thread later..
Now you are telling me brother. I take back everything I said . . . . . . . . . . :lol: just kidding.

Please do join again as time permits and post some great classical works. It would be of great help.
Regards

the beach attack in Apocalypse Now uses the musical backdrop of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries..(the entire end- the ritual slaughter of water buffalo sequence, is filmed with The End by Doors)..
closer at home, and in a very different sense altogether the venerable Salil Chowdhary to the not so venerable Anu Malik, have under entirely different musical circumstances made ample use of pieces like the Mozart's 40th symphony..the latter however has been quite democratic with his borrowings and has among other things used even Deep Purple to launch his own purple melodies.....
an interesting site for trivia (and musical plagiarism hunters) is
Copied Hindi Songs

the beach attack in Apocalypse Now uses the musical backdrop of Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries..
Wagner's Ride of the valkyries - Yes that's what classical music I am looking for. Thanks moktan

@doors 666
'But I know what you mean, hollywood (and of course bollywood) has been flicking things from all over the place be it stories, music, books, other movies, all other forms of art... and then they go all guns blazing against piracy'

I would place the entire cinema of India under the borrowed tag.Since its inception Bollywood has relied heavily on Hollywood for inspiration.From the 1950's to the present day they have been ripping off plots,starry mannerisms,music,genres,directorial flourishes,special effects,action,romance,drama,suspense....without so much as a thank you.The fact that the original material from Hollywood was rotten in the first place makes the whole exercise a ridiculous farce.
Even the parallel cinema movement of the late 70's and 80's was labouring under the massive footprints of Bresson,Renoir,Truffaut,Godard,Bergman,Kurosawa,Antonioni,Eisenstein etc.
Although nonsense abounds in every nook and cranny of Bollywood I found the recent film Rock On particularly hilarious.What could be funnier than making a film in INDIA in the 21st century based on the brief western phenomenon of rock music-born in Britain in the mid 60's,dead or killed by the establishment in the mid 70's.Imagine a bunch of spoilt,rich totally conformist Indian kids in the 21st century trying to ape Morrison,Lennon,Keith Moon,Clapton or Dylan.Imagine the audience which flocked to see Rock On.The majority of them would not have the vaguest notion where Max Yasgur's farm is located....

Hai Hiten,

Beethoven's 5th Symphony.

I recommend you to listen to Paul Mauriat's Classics in the air- All Volumes

From Movies I like Laura's Theme from Dr.Zhivago &

Theme from The Good, Bad and the Ugly, and

Goldfinger (Played by the Mantovani Orchestra)

N.Murali

Yes and here people use it in their car's reverse gear.

Various flavours of Fur Elise as used on on car reverse tunes are usually very off-key:lol: The real thing is such a soulful and melancholic tune, but our cars murder it every day! Such is life.
Joshua

@doors 666
Although nonsense abounds in every nook and cranny of Bollywood I found the recent film Rock On particularly hilarious.What could be funnier than making a film in INDIA in the 21st century based on the brief western phenomenon of rock music-....
the Rock On guys would have redeemed themselves, at least in my inconsequential eyes, if they would have outsourced the music and the songs to a real, maybe even struggling "Indian" rock band...but then i guess those things are too much to expect of a commercial establishment with a legacy of status quoism that Bollywood is redolent of...

Last edited:
the latter however has been quite democratic with his borrowings and has among other things used even Deep Purple to launch his own purple melodies.....

The first time I heard Anu Malik using Deep Purple's "Child In Time" intro (which, in my humble opinion, is fairly esoteric even by hard rock standards) as intro to his 'well researched' song, I almost died laughing:lol:

Another 'good' one was hearing Europe's "The Final Countdown" popping up in Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, intro, tune, and all.
Joshua

Schumann: Kinderszenen, Op. 15 - 7. Trumerei

hi hiten,

i'm sure you'll recognize the tune. well at least when you put on a suit ;)

regards

edit: also suggest you listen to perhaps the most famous of all rock riffs smoke on the water ;) ;) and then tell me why :)

Last edited:
just as there are the single driver and the multi driver people, as there are the congress and the bjp, the ferrari and the lamborghini folks..there are also the led zepplin and the deep purple people (me i consider jimmy page's outfit the more adept musically, although both bands degenerated into a circus showcase of sounds)...is the Smoke on The water, as urban rock legend would have it, Beethoven's fifth backward???... the musical jury is out on this one...
anyway old zappa if he was around would have said 'so what'..

Last edited:
Back