Very good music (Making Music - John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, Jan Garbarek)

Please let me know if there are any other similar high quality compositions I should be hearing.. :)

This seems to be the album.

Yes, that's the album. Available on ECM label. You may be able to get it from Rhythm House. They sometimes keep ECM titles. The dynamics on this record is sometimes startling. Jan Garbarek really shines, IMHO.

More in similar vein:

1) Remember Shakti: Saturday Night In Bombay, CD, Verve Records, France. Exquisite live recordings at Rang Bhavan and Shanmukhananda Hall (both in Mumbai). See this.

2) Tabula Rasa: Bela Fleck (Banjo), Jie-Bing Chen (Erhu), Pandit Vishwamohan Bhatt (Mohan Vina), etc. Water Lily Records, USA. SACD. Fantastic music, fantastic liner notes, fantastic production values. May be possible to pick up from Rhythm House. See this.

3) A Meeting By The River: Ry Cooder and Pandit Vishwamohan Bhatt. Truly great music, truly great recording. Grammy winner. Water Lily Records, SACD. See this.

4) Sachal Jazz, Times Music. Pakistani studio musicians doing their own unique rendition of old jazz and bossa nova standards. Exquisite musicianship. There's already a thread here.

5) Ilaiyaraaja & Hariprasad Chaurasia - Nothing But Wind (not easily available - I searched for the CD a long time - I used to have the cassette).

6) River Of Sorrow - Immortal Chinese Instruments (I honestly don't know where you can get it from). But this will open a window to an "alien" form of music. You will discover what beautiful tonalities traditional Chinese instruments like Erhu and Guzheng have.

7) Jan Garbarek's Rites: double CD of out-of-this-world music by the Norwegian master. Again from ECM.

Ajay, Rohit - great collection of music and musicianship there! Also try The Rite of Strings - a collaborative album by virtuosi Al Di Meola, Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty, recorded after their world tour in 1995. For sheer oohs & aahs, try laying your hands on the video of "Friday night at SF" - absolute magic on the fret board by the 3 masters, especially Paco. He is phenomenal.

Last edited:
The guitarists I like:

1. Julian Bream
2. Andres Segovia
3. Django Reinhart
4. Paco De Lucia
5. Jimi Hendrix
6. Al Di Meola
7. Charles Mingus
8. Joe Pass
9. George Benson
10. Buddy Guy
11. Stevie Ray Vaughan
12. Jack Bruce
13. Paul Chambers
14. Robert Johnson
15. Muddy Waters
14. B.B King
15. Larry Coryell
16. Albert King
17. Duanne Allman
18. Carlos Santana
19. Eric Clapton
20. Peter Frampton
21. Mark Knopfler
21. John Entwhistle
22. Jimmy Page
23. Stanley Clarke
24. Earl Klugh
25. Jerry Garcia

6) River Of Sorrow - Immortal Chinese Instruments (I honestly don't know where you can get it from). But this will open a window to an "alien" form of music. You will discover what beautiful tonalities traditional Chinese instruments like Erhu and Guzheng have.

River of sorrow CD available on Flipkart for Rs2616.00

Just discovered this..
Excellent music.. wanted to share.

Making Music [HQ] - John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, Jan Garbarek & Hari Prasad Chaurasia - YouTube

Please let me know if there are any other similar high quality compositions I should be hearing.. :)

Thanks,
Rohit

Christian Mcbride- Conversations with Christian is an unusual album in the sense a whole lot of musicians (Angelique Kidjoe, Sting, Chick Corea etc) engage in some mean duets with the double bass virtuoso.
It's Your Thing- with Dee Dee Bridgewater is deliciously wicked.
The Imagine Project is another crossover collaboration between Herbie Hancock and a whole lot of musicians (Pink, Seal, India Arie , Peter Gabriel, Anoushka Shankar, Chitra , Jeff Beck etc). Besides Imagine , there are incredible renditions of Dylan (The Times They Are A Changin) Marley (Exodus) Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel)etc.
The Song Goes On where Hancock collaborates with another jazz legend Wayne Shorter and Anoushka Shankar was I believe recorded in Bombay.
Catch a Glimpse of Sitar Maestro Ravi Shankar in this video.....
Herbie Hancock's "Imagine", featuring Pink, Seal, India.Arie - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVQxSFG-ahk

Last edited:
The Imagine Project is another crossover collaboration between Herbie Hancock and a whole lot of musicians (Pink, Seal, India Arie , Peter Gabriel, Anoushka Shankar, Chitra , Jeff Beck etc). Besides Imagine , there are incredible renditions of Dylan (The Times They Are A Changin) Marley (Exodus) Don't Give Up (Peter Gabriel)etc.
The Song Goes On where Hancock collaborates with another jazz legend Wayne Shorter and Anoushka Shankar was I believe recorded in Bombay.
Yes, was listening to it yesterday .Nice recording, though a bit too funky sometimes for jazz fusion but enjoyable.
Cheers

Laya Project

I never could understand why people get "possessed" by spirits and how it feels. For first time yesterday I was "possessed" after hearing this music :D I am Serious.

Awesome beats.. Sound of my country.. some voodoo..
Listen from 2:30 onward.

Who needs headbanging Rock! :D (from 4:20 onward) Hear this LOUD!

Some of their songs made me cry.. They were for Tsunami Relief.

This is not music this is something different at a very higher level.. something beyond mind body and soul..

I was lucky to pick up "Making Music"-Zakir Hussain on LP - mint condition at a 2nd hand record fair mid last year. First heard the CD in the late 80's.....till I rediscovered it last year when I picked up the vinyl. Blew me away!

Some really good tracks -

Hol Baumann - Benares, Radio Bombay
The Missing Peace By Shalom (Entire album is a gem)
Trance Sitar - Prosad
Love Secret - Makis Ablianitis
Juno Reactor (Most tracks)
Amar Kahani - Jovi
Wajad - VAS
Jab Tac - She's All That
Ya Allah - Celt Islam

Just discovered this..
Excellent music.. wanted to share.

Making Music [HQ] - John McLaughlin, Zakir Hussain, Jan Garbarek & Hari Prasad Chaurasia - YouTube

Thanks,
Rohit

That's one of my favourite albums that involves the all mighty Mr. McLaughlin (that's saying something because I love his Mahavishnu works to death)! And perhaps my fav. Zakir Hussain album. If you liked this you might want to check out Mahavishnu Orchestra..and also this album in particular. You just might like it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O8eqR-9qMM

I was lucky to pick up "Making Music"-Zakir Hussain on LP - mint condition at a 2nd hand record fair mid last year. First heard the CD in the late 80's.....till I rediscovered it last year when I picked up the vinyl. Blew me away!

Oh too good! Even i bought it on vinyl last year. From Discogs though. NM condition. And its plays beautifully!

By the way, where was this record fair held? India?

Laya Project

I never could understand why people get "possessed" by spirits and how it feels. For first time yesterday I was "possessed" after hearing this music :D I am Serious.

Awesome beats.. Sound of my country.. some voodoo..
Listen from 2:30 onward.

Who needs headbanging Rock! :D (from 4:20 onward) Hear this LOUD!

Some of their songs made me cry.. They were for Tsunami Relief.

This is not music this is something different at a very higher level.. something beyond mind body and soul..

Yes, its a very soothing album.
Especially the track you mentioned is very rhythmic.
It can make anyone dance if they start to enjoy it.
People believe that percussion instrument (Tapatam) has that 'power'.

Unfortunately, in Tamil Nadu where it is widely used, people started playing it only to mourn deaths so it was made appropriate for 'death dance'. :mad:

I bought flac from Laya Project | EarthSync
And then I too became possessed. :p

Decent recording BTW.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back