very very strange sony crt tv problem

BLASTO

hi i m using a sony 29" crt tv from 5 yrs with no problem whatsoever
but off late my tv gives strange problems...and by strange i mean very strange

its like the tv works smooth for the whole of the day but at one point in the evening at around 6 or 7 o clock it just goes off on itself and when u switch it on again ...the indicator light keeps blinking red....

the thing is that this happens only in the evening and only on one or two channels....nd even after u switch it on and off it stil happens after like every 10 mins ....the red light keeps blinking

the rest of day the tv works without any prob even on those channels

if i tried everythin i could...changin the power connecter....removin the cover to prevent it from gettin heated...restorin the factory settings etc...

i couldnt find any settin of timer or anythin of this sort

plss...help...i js cant figure out what to do....

All your concern and help will be whole-heartedly appreciated :):)

Did you watch 13B?? :D

in the evening at around 6 or 7 o clock it just goes off on itself and when u switch it on again ...the indicator light keeps blinking red....

the thing is that this happens only in the evening and only on one or two channels....nd even after u switch it on and off it stil happens after like every 10 mins ....the red light keeps blinking

the rest of day the tv works without any prob even on those channels

Get rid of the TV imdt. It is possessed.:lol:

Jokes apart, there might be a setting on parental control which your TV might have which any of you esp the kids would have activated inadvertently.

Explore deeply & you are sure to find it.

If you are not cut for it, then you must provide more details like Model number/name & the channels which are affected etc. so that TV gurus in the forum can offer you a solution.:)

its like the tv works smooth for the whole of the day but at one point in the evening at around 6 or 7 o clock it just goes off on itself and when u switch it on again ...the indicator light keeps blinking red....

Maybe this helps, fingers crossed. If not service may be required as written.

Solution AV02225

Description:

The television turns on or off by itself.

Solution:

IMPORTANT: If additional information regarding menu operation is required to perform the troubleshooting steps provided, refer to the operating instructions provided with the television.

Follow this procedure to troubleshoot if the television turns on or off by itself:

If the television has a timer option, ensure it is turned off.
Check the remote controls to see if any of the buttons are stuck that may be interfering with the television.
Unplug the power cord of the television from the AC wall outlet for 60 seconds.
Plug the power cord back into the AC outlet.
Turn on the television.
Remove all remote controls from the room where the television is located.
NOTE: If the issue is still unresolved after completing all of the troubleshooting steps, service may be required.

Btw, your TV is not the only set that is possessed :)

Many customers have reported this problem with Sony. Seems like a software bug.

hi shaiju_o_thomas-

but- that is a CRT - is there any software in these older TVs?

to me - it looks like a problem with the input voltage - most TVs will not work (and indicator will flash) when input voltage drops below a level.

so - putting a wide-range stabiliser (say 70V to 300V -hehe!! N.A.) may solve the problem.

regds

hi
but off late my tv gives strange problems...

evening at around 6 or 7 o clock it just goes off on itself and when u switch it on again ...the indicator light keeps blinking red....

the thing is that this happens only in the evening and only on one or two channels....:):)

"Of late " What I understand from this is for the past few months i.e during the advancement of summer . There are some TV s work under required power. If you have a Volt Metre , if not try to purchase one, check the input power and see whether there are fluctuations / low voltage during the day particulary at the specified time by you. It is better to clear doubts in this area .

Regards

I have a VIDEOCON Bazoomba 21-inch 1999 CRT. For the past few years I have been facing a strange problem. During the rainy season, or on a day when the humidity levels are too high, my TV does not start at once. When I switch "ON" the TV after switching the power supply ON from my AC wall socket, the TV does not start. In this condition, I have to leave it on stand by mode for a short time- sometimes for 10 minutes, 15 minutes and sometimes even for half an hour. After this, the TV starts and gives a very blurred picture which after sometimes becomes perfectly clear. Is the humidity factor responsible for this? Explanations and suggestions are welcome from HFV greats.
@harmeetmatta(OP) Please excuse me for putting my query in your query thread.

it looks like a problem with the input voltage - most TVs will not work (and indicator will flash) when input voltage drops below a level.

I also believe it should be voltage problems. Evenings being the peak time, Low voltage might be the culprit.

check the input power and see whether there are fluctuations / low voltage during the day particulary at the specified time by you.

+1 to that as at low voltage area,evening time all houses/shops uses full load of electricity..

I think you guys are missing the point. OP says that it happens only when the TV is playing some channels and not all channels.

Or is it that some channels consume more power than others of which fact, I'm blissfully unaware?:p

Does this happen when you are using your remote,my former old sony crt used to go to the ch no 4 when pressing any button in the remote,due to fault in the remote,so it can also do the same for power.

Sir,
Please move the T.V to another place somewhere to your friends or relative place, where there sould be another the feeder / transformer other than that supplies power to your house and another cable service provider / connection , and observe whether it behaves in a similar way.

Regards

hi shaiju_o_thomas-

but- that is a CRT - is there any software in these older TVs?

to me - it looks like a problem with the input voltage - most TVs will not work (and indicator will flash) when input voltage drops below a level.

so - putting a wide-range stabiliser (say 70V to 300V -hehe!! N.A.) may solve the problem.

regds

Yes there is a lot of software even on older TVs.. so are dedicated microcontrollers... To me this looks like a software problem or at least the TV firmware is reporting a problem on hardware and trying a self recovery procedure. Or it could be some kind of a failed Auto firmware update feature. The red LED blinking normally is an error code indication. At least thats what it is on Philips sets....

Ron
A mediocre Embedded software engineer; who develops system firmware for Philips Analog and Digital TVs...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back