VFM Amplifier recommendation for Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker

swamytk

Hi,

I bought Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker pair. Now I would like to choose an VFM Amp below ₹20K. Norge 2060 (₹11K) is leading in my mind now. I don't see any such alternative below ₹20K. Please suggest me an Amp around ₹10K to ₹15K.

Wharfedale recommended 25W-100W for this speaker. I see many cheap Amp of 50W. Is it OK to go ahead with 50W Amp to use this speaker in its glorifying working range?

Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker:
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m)86dB
Recommended amplifier25-100W

Peak SPL95dB
Nominal impedance8Ω Compatible
Minimum impedance4.1Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB)56Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB45Hz
Crossover frequency2.2kHz

Try this sale listing, it has an inbuilt DAC as well. I’m using PM6004 with diamond 225

Hi,

I bought Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker pair. Now I would like to choose an VFM Amp below ₹20K. Norge 2060 (₹11K) is leading in my mind now. I don't see any such alternative below ₹20K. Please suggest me an Amp around ₹10K to ₹15K.

Wharfedale recommended 25W-100W for this speaker. I see many cheap Amp of 50W. Is it OK to go ahead with 50W Amp to use this speaker in its glorifying working range?

Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker:
Sensitivity(2.83V @ 1m)86dB
Recommended amplifier25-100W

Peak SPL95dB
Nominal impedance8Ω Compatible
Minimum impedance4.1Ω
Frequency response (+/-3dB)56Hz - 20kHz
Bass extension (-6dB45Hz
Crossover frequency2.2kHz
Get an amp with decent current drive. If possible pair with Norge.
86dB sensitivity with 4.1 ohm minimum means difficult to drive.
You don't want to end up driving the amp to clipping levels.
Marantz PM5005 at 45Wpc is a pretty decent unit. 21K on HiFiMart; if doable.
Marantz/Wharfedale may pair well for a fatigue free system.
Cheers,
Raghu

Try this sale listing, it has an inbuilt DAC as well. I’m using PM6004 with diamond 225

@sandeepss It is good one. But being in Pune, I don't want to get into trouble of bad shipping and shipping cost.

Get an amp with decent current drive. If possible pair with Norge.
86dB sensitivity with 4.1 ohm minimum means difficult to drive.
You don't want to end up driving the amp to clipping levels.
Marantz PM5005 at 45Wpc is a pretty decent unit. 21K on HiFiMart; if doable.
Marantz/Wharfedale may pair well for a fatigue free system.
Cheers,
Raghu
Do you mean Norge 2060 has good current drive for this speaker? Will it drive this speaker to its full quality?

Do you mean Norge 2060 has good current drive for this speaker? Will it drive this speaker to its full quality?
If 95dB peak SPL is to be believed the Wharfies need only about 12dBW or 16W of power to reach this number.
So the 25-100W spec is confusing or the 95dB is conservative.

I can't speak for Norge; never heard them out.
But I hear that the company representatives/owners are very helpful in answering questions.
An amp spec'd at 60Wpc (Norge) should be able enough to provide 16W of clean power.

Marantz I'm confident can handle such speakers. I have used their products long enough.
Since you are in Pune, there should be someone who owns a Marantz or a Norge.
Ask on the forum, someone may reply.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi
I have spent almost two years with norge 1000 and Marantz pm6005 with wharfedale 9.1
Marantz will drive them easily on 10'O clock and sounds clean comparitively

Later my neighbor bought wharfedale225 with marantz Pm5005
The combination is fantastic and again I don't see any need of powerup than pm5005.
This is best entry level combo I ever heard IMO
All the best with your purchase

Hi
I have spent almost two years with norge 1000 and Marantz pm6005 with wharfedale 9.1
Marantz will drive them easily on 10'O clock and sounds clean comparitively

Later my neighbor bought wharfedale225 with marantz Pm5005
The combination is fantastic and again I don't see any need of powerup than pm5005.
This is best entry level combo I ever heard IMO
All the best with your purchase
How about your experience with Norge 1000?

How about your experience with Norge 1000?

Since I got used to marantz sound I couldn't enjoy norge as it is very dull( not dynamic) and bloated bass
The only reason I was holding it was due to rated power. Later I Understand about power ratings and sold it

Since I got used to marantz sound I couldn't enjoy norge as it is very dull( not dynamic) and bloated bass
The only reason I was holding it was due to rated power. Later I Understand about power ratings and sold it
Thanks, it is helpful.

An amplifier closer to 100w per channel would be preferred with a 86 db sensitivity.
As you raise the volume, a 50 watt amp will start clipping at a high volume.
This will destroy the amp or the speaker with continued usage at high volumes.
Cheers

@sandeepss It is good one. But being in Pune, I don't want to get into trouble of bad shipping and shipping cost.
Ok. This amp can comfortably drive the speakers and pairs really well. New one, PM6006 on hifimart costs 30K, I think. Though above your budget, it’s an excellent choice as it also includes CS4398 DAC which they use in their CD players and sounds great.
If budget is a constraint, then you can go for 5005, but I’m not sure of the sound signature there. As it’s entry level, there could be pronounced bass and treble. You’ll need to listen at dealers and decide.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I have ordered PM5005 at HifiMart. I don't want to go for higher ends in this series since I have other accessories like Chromecast Audio, Bluetooth receiver and Fiio E10K DAC.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. I have ordered PM5005 at HifiMart. I don't want to go for higher ends in this series since I have other accessories like Chromecast Audio, Bluetooth receiver and Fiio E10K DAC.
Congrats!! Very happy for you.
Soon you will have a great stereo system entertaining you.
CCA is a nifty little thing. Both digital and analog out punch way above the price point.
Enjoy,
Raghu

Congratulations!
It is a great combo as far as I know

Congrats!! Very happy for you.
Soon you will have a great stereo system entertaining you.
CCA is a nifty little thing. Both digital and analog out punch way above the price point.
Enjoy,
Raghu
Yes. Nothing beats the anticipation and enjoyment of building the first audio setup. I always felt future additions/ modifications never had that charm :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back