VFM Soundbar with ability to expand in the future

rag_s

Hi, I’m a complete newb when it comes to audio systems. I have a Sony x85g TV that I want to pair with a basic audio system, preferably a sound bar + woofer.
Main use is watching OTT content, Netflix, Disney+ etc

Plan is to allow flexibility for upgrades in the future and buy satellites to make it a 5.1, 7.1 etc.

Budget is within 30k. Wireless connectivity (between the speaker) would be great. Sony would be also good assuming they’ll have good integration - any suggestions?

Samsung b670 is 5.1 and samsung q600b is a 3.1.2 soundbar with option of adding wireless surround speakers. The Sony models don't appeal much to me.

Hi, I’m a complete newb when it comes to audio systems. I have a Sony x85g TV that I want to pair with a basic audio system, preferably a sound bar + woofer.

Plan is to allow flexibility for upgrades in the future and buy satellites to make it a 5.1, 7.1 etc.

Budget is within 30k. Wireless connectivity (between the speaker) would be great. Sony would be also good assuming they’ll have good integration - any suggestions?
Go for JBL 5.1 surround soundbar. It has wireless subwoofer and wireless surround speakers. The sound output is super awesome with the sub woofer powerful enough to shake the windows. You’ll have to increase your budget to have this but it is worth.

if you want to upgradability your best option is investing in a good receiver + satellite + sub and then slowly adding a center channel and surrounds etc

if you buy a soundbar then you may not have an option to expand unless you buy something like the Bose smart soiundbar to which you can wirelessly add a surround or a sub since most soundbars have the receiver functionality built in. else just buy a sub+ soundbar like the yamaha

Dont know much about samsung soundbars..

The JBL 2.1 at <30K is a good option better still is the Yamaha 209 at sligntly higher than 30K but does a better sound/music..but they cannot be upgraded to more channels.

The JBL 5.1 and 9.1 have multichannel detachable speakers and the latter does a decent atmos as well without wires but come at a higher budget.

if you want to upgradability your best option is investing in a good receiver + satellite + sub and then slowly adding a center channel and surrounds etc

if you buy a soundbar then you may not have an option to expand unless you buy something like the Bose smart soiundbar to which you can wirelessly add a surround or a sub since most soundbars have the receiver functionality built in. else just buy a sub+ soundbar like the yamaha

Dont know much about samsung soundbars..

The JBL 2.1 at <30K is a good option better still is the Yamaha 209 at sligntly higher than 30K but does a better sound/music..but they cannot be upgraded to more channels.

The JBL 5.1 and 9.1 have multichannel detachable speakers and the latter does a decent atmos as well without wires but come at a higher budget.
I did little more reading. It seems like I can start with a 3.1 setup first with independent speakers. And it seems soundbars are not really recommended.

Any suggestions for such a setup? And within budget - maybe 2.1 if budget is a constraint, but I believe center is needed for clear dialogue.

Last edited:
I did little more reading. It seems like I can start with a 3.1 setup first with independent speakers. And it seems soundbars are not really recommended.

Any suggestions for such a setup? And within budget - maybe 2.1 if budget is a constraint, but I believe center is needed for clear dialogue.
What's your budget ?
The best option is to start with a receiver and 2 good speakers then add the sub and then the center channel and then the surrounds
If you set it up properly as a stereo with 2 speakers then you do not.need a center speaker as the imaging will give you a phantom center anyway and all dialogues will ve reproduced via them. Just make sure when you buy a center it's a matching one

Invest in a pair of active speakers. You can then directly play from the source without a receiver. At the same time, the output will be better than a soundbar. You can always expand this setup gradually in future. Like by adding a receiver, subwoofer, center and surrounds.

Invest in a pair of active speakers. You can then directly play from the source without a receiver. At the same time, the output will be better than a soundbar. You can always expand this setup gradually in future. Like by adding a receiver, subwoofer, center and surrounds.
how can a receiver be connected to active speakers ? he will need to buy a surround preamp and get a separate amp or active speakers for all other channels and that could be more expensive.

Welcome to forum.
First you need to decide if you are looking for movie watching alone or for music too. If you are interested in playing high quality music i suggest you go for AVR + bookshelf speakers route else JBL soundbar or Yamaha soundbar are good option.

What's your budget ?
The best option is to start with a receiver and 2 good speakers then add the sub and then the center channel and then the surrounds
If you set it up properly as a stereo with 2 speakers then you do not.need a center speaker as the imaging will give you a phantom center anyway and all dialogues will ve reproduced via them. Just make sure when you buy a center it's a matching one
Ok - the budget is 30k, but it seems like an AVR itself cost around that much. Is there an option for a basic AVR + 2 speakers that can reach the budget?

Welcome to forum.
First you need to decide if you are looking for movie watching alone or for music too. If you are interested in playing high quality music i suggest you go for AVR + bookshelf speakers route else JBL soundbar or Yamaha soundbar are good option.
Primarily for watching movies and shows - not for music. Do you mean for Movie watching I should go for a soundbar option, rather than a speaker setup? You mean the speaker setup won't be worth it.

Ok - the budget is 30k, but it seems like an AVR itself cost around that much. Is there an option for a basic AVR + 2 speakers that can reach the budget?

Primarily for watching movies and shows - not for music. Do you mean for Movie watching I should go for a soundbar option, rather than a speaker setup? You mean the speaker setup won't be worth it.
Hi,
I don't mean that it won't be worth it. In general AVR can handle movies very well and perform good for music. Soundbar are a big no for music but can produce sound required for movies. Again i am talking about 3.1 or 5.1 soundbar and not those for Atmos.

Ok - it looks like I'll need around 1L for a 2.1 system (AVR + speakers) - seems like the increase in electronics price is also contributing to this.
I guess I'll have to settle for soundbars for now.

Samsung b670 is 5.1 and samsung q600b is a 3.1.2 soundbar with option of adding wireless surround speakers. The Sony models don't appeal much to me.
The q600b has a good review on rtings - I'll check it out. There's also q600a which is 3.1 sans the upwards firing speakers - would the 3.1.2 be better?

Ok - it looks like I'll need around 1L for a 2.1 system (AVR + speakers) - seems like the increase in electronics price is also contributing to this.
I guess I'll have to settle for soundbars for now.

The q600b has a good review on rtings - I'll check it out. There's also q600a which is 3.1 sans the upwards firing speakers - would the 3.1.2 be better?
Q600a is the older model of q600b. Both are very similar and 3.1.2. Q600B has EARC while Q600a has ARC but Q600A is a little cheaper.

Alternatively you can also look at Active 2.0 speakers which would probably be good enough for a small room but you won't have an option for "surround sounds". A couple of options would be HIVI D1090 and Q-Acoustics M20 HD.

A third alternative would be to raise your budget a little and go for a HTIB. You can check the available models in your area from YAMAHA and Onkyo. The budget models would cost you Near 40K and you could upgrade the speakers Later on if you wish to without changing the Receiver.

I think you've summed up the options well! HTIB is a good budget option that allows future expansion. However, I'm now deciding on either Hivi D1090 or the Q600B - stereo v/s surround I suppose. Thank you for your help!

I think you've summed up the options well! HTIB is a good budget option that allows future expansion. However, I'm now deciding on either Hivi D1090 or the Q600B - stereo v/s surround I suppose. Thank you for your help!
Let me know how it goes. I am in the same boat as yourself. 😅

I'm biting the bullet and going with the D1090 - placed the order on Amazon. I felt I'll have better support through Amazon compared to the M20. I also added in the 1-year extended warranty available - totalling to 30k - almost the same as the M20 on hifimart.

One convenience I'll miss though from the Soundbar - the CEC. Will see how much of an inconvenience that is.

I'm biting the bullet and going with the D1090 - placed the order on Amazon. I felt I'll have better support through Amazon compared to the M20. I also added in the 1-year extended warranty available - totalling to 30k - almost the same as the M20 on hifimart.

One convenience I'll miss though from the Soundbar - the CEC. Will see how much of an inconvenience that is.
Good you finally got to a decision ,

As before if your use is primarily OTT, the Soundbar (with sub) will give you a far better experience than speakers although for music the speakers will sound better. The difference is stark as I do have a stereo with one TV and soundbar with another.

Last edited:
As before if your use is primarily OTT, the Soundbar (with sub) will give you a far better experience than speakers although for music the speakers will sound better. The difference is stark as I do have a stereo with one TV and soundbar with another.
Hmm - this is the first time I'm venturing into audio systems. From what I'm reading, stereo is being suggested over soundbars, especially the budget ones. Let's see, I took the plunge with stereo, maybe will check soundbars down the road.

Hmm - this is the first time I'm venturing into audio systems. From what I'm reading, stereo is being suggested over soundbars, especially the budget ones. Let's see, I took the plunge with stereo, maybe will check soundbars down the road.
Have you received it yet?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back