VGA over lan Interference

arunlouie

Hi All,

I am having a very complex HTPC setup. I have my PC connected to my TV in living room and running a LAN cable to my Bedroom to connect my Monitor.

This lan cable is connected through VGA-LAN converter like this (Newegg.com - 2pcs VGA Extender Male to LAN CAT5 CAT5e RJ45 Female Adapter) which I bought it for $5. I tried this way because no need to spend much on additional dumb client.
Now display is working but there is lot of interference, and due all the letters and pictures have a shadow tint. This is annoying.

Though I have used CAT6 cable still there is interference. Dont know what could be the reason. Any inputs?

Just because a gadget is available does not mean that it will work!

As an example...

These days we think nothing of sending output from a PC to a TV. Maybe hdmi made all the difference, but years ago there were VGA-->TV converter devices available. We tried a couple in the office, for presentations, and they were unusable.

CATn cable is very specifically designed to carry ethernet LAN signals without interference. That does not mean that it will magically be the best thing to carry any other protocol.

I don't know the specified maximum length for a VGA cable (Google could probably tell us) but, by their nature they are not usually more than a metre or two. Simply converting the pins to transmit the signals over a different kind of cable is not going to alter that. I'm assuming that that is all this gadget does: I doubt that one would get anything else for $5.

I am guessing --- but my gut feeling is that this device is not going to work.

This works well when connected with 3 feet lan cable. Even hd videoslook good. I guessthe interference is due to the parallel power lines that run along. I looking for s solution that can fix this.

IIRC, the right way to transmit audio over Ethernet is to use a balun. I believe that baluns now exist even to transmit VGA and even HDMI and not just audio over ethernet wires.

Baluns will be a bit more expensive though.

This works well when connected with 3 feet lan cable. Even hd videoslook good. I guess the interference is due to the parallel power lines that run along. I looking for s solution that can fix this.

Then there are two problems: distance and interference.

Please try a length that does not run with power cables to see if the latter is significant. It is, in network cabling, bad practice to lay network cables close to mains cables, even thought they will not necessarily interfere. If it still bad, then you need something like this (just a random google result; I'm sure there are lots of alternatives) rather than a simple cable adapter.

It may well be that the solution is simply using the right equipment for the job. It may also be that that is much more expensive.

Thad and Arunlouie, Baluns typically support distances of 1000ft, even 5000+ feet. In some cases, you get active baluns that will amplify the signal at both ends if the signal attenuates too much because of the distance. I think CCTV etc. for commercial installations use this.

This wire is concealed, so I can't do anything on it. I don't want to spend much on extenders, as this is just secondary display for little usage. If I really needed, i will go for a dumb terminal.

I can try baluns. I will check for a DIY.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back