Video Upscaling problem with Denon 1911

snorkel4u

Hi All,

I have just recd a Denon 1911 from US.
Few days later I got the step down transformer.....

with the lack of speakers... I was itching to try out the video upconversion feature at least....

I opened the AVR and made the connections as follows...

AC Ryan POHD --> HDMI --> AVR --> HDMI --> P20V20D (Full HD at 1080p)

Now when I played a regular 700 mb dvd rip or divx and I kept the Display settings on the POHD to 1080p 60Hz I saw the video appearing choppy and in blocks... the video appeared to have split vertically in slots/ blocks with white lines separating the blocks....

it was very annoying... it appeared as if a cable is lose or something...

Next, in the same PQ mode of the POHD I played a 8GB MKV rip of Black Hawk Down and that played flawlessly....the AVR ws able to detect Dolby Digital as the Sound input from my POHD....

My question is ----

When I am playing substandard video thru my POHD, what should be my Playback settings in POHD? 720p? or 1080p is okay?
The problem I mentioned above, could it be happening because of double video upscaling attempts by the POHD as well as the AVR as well?

In other words how do I get the video upconversion feature best, using my AVR's hardware?

Your inputs are appreciated...

TIA

My advice is that start with "no upscale", i.e., play as-is. I have a Denon-1910 and I am not impressed with its upscaling capability. So I turned it off. DVDs upscaled by my Sony BDP turn out much better that way.

Later on, try upscale at source. Try one at a time.

If you keep Denon at Auto ( if there is one) , then what happens, Let POHD be kept at 1080P.

Also Is direct from POHD good on your Display ?

My Xtreamer is at 1080P and UMC1 is at Auto. The Rips of TV seasons are same when I connected xtreamer directly to Plasma. It is good, not excellent but good.

Actually UMC1 is not touching my video in any way just overlaying GUI over it.

AC Ryan POHD --> HDMI --> AVR --> HDMI --> P20V20D (Full HD at 1080p)

Now when I played a regular 700 mb dvd rip or divx and I kept the Display settings on the POHD to 1080p 60Hz I saw the video appearing choppy and in blocks... the video appeared to have split vertically in slots/ blocks with white lines separating the blocks....

it was very annoying... it appeared as if a cable is lose or something...

When I am playing substandard video thru my POHD, what should be my Playback settings in POHD? 720p? or 1080p is okay?

If you understand how scaling works, you will understand why this happens. In simple words, scaling attempts to create and increase the number of pixels to take a 480i/P to 720P, or a 480i/p/720i/P to 1080P. If the source is of low quality, scaling will only worsen it. The best to do in such cases is to reduce the scaling objective.

Next, in the same PQ mode of the POHD I played a 8GB MKV rip of Black Hawk Down and that played flawlessly....the AVR ws able to detect Dolby Digital as the Sound input from my POHD....

An AVR will detect whatever audio codec it gets. So if you get Dolby Digital with one file and not with another, the second file has some other codec or has not been coded properly. This could be a lacuna in the rip.

The problem I mentioned above, could it be happening because of double video upscaling attempts by the POHD as well as the AVR as well?

It is never advisable to scale the same video twice. The best place for scaling is as close to the source as possible, in other words at the player level.

At the same time, I don't think the POHD scales at all. It just passes all video through.

Cheers

If you understand how scaling works, you will understand why this happens. In simple words, scaling attempts to create and increase the number of pixels to take a 480i/P to 720P, or a 480i/p/720i/P to 1080P. If the source is of low quality, scaling will only worsen it. The best to do in such cases is to reduce the scaling objective.

An AVR will detect whatever audio codec it gets. So if you get Dolby Digital with one file and not with another, the second file has some other codec or has not been coded properly. This could be a lacuna in the rip.

It is never advisable to scale the same video twice. The best place for scaling is as close to the source as possible, in other words at the player level.

At the same time, I don't think the POHD scales at all. It just passes all video through.

Cheers

So video upscaling is not that much important in AVR. Right?

yes, even i feel so. I have upscaling feature in my bluray player also & it feels like stretching the original video & after sometime since you are watching the upscaled video it just gives the feeling to revert the settings back & watch it in original mode.

Hmmmm, I have read Batpig's denon guide and will try to switch off ipscaler in the Denon tonight and just let the POHD do the streaming....

And since Venkat, said POHD does any upscaling at all.. I think I will set the lower resolution in the POHD and try upscaling thru the AVR....

IN addition to my above post, I switched off the "ipscaler" option in my AVR video setings.
So I guess that means now my AVR isn't touching the video at all.

I wanted to try the reverse. Is there any way I can pass the video untouched by the POHD and then let AVR do the upsclaing? If yes could you please help me with that setting?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back