Videocon D2H - initial install, setup questions

jsmithe

Getting Videocon D2H installed today. I remember seeing a post on the forum that gave the ideal numbers for signal strength and some other settings that can be reviewed at install time to ensure there a good signal is obtained.

Would anyone who remembers that thread post the link or if you have the settings that I ought to look out for, that would be mucho appreciated too.

When you have your box connected with your tv...
1.press menu on d2h remote-->Setup-->Installation-->enter 1234 as password.
2.Go to box settings-->Satellite management-->there will be a 11 digit card no on a sticker on the box..enter 4th,6th,8th,10th digit as password to see the satellite management.
3.In that page you can see signal strength,quality..ensure u have atleast 85-90% for both..also in that page press down arrow key to go to Transponders..there press side arrow keys to go to different transponders and check signals are almost same for all transponders.

2.Go to box settings-->Satellite management-->there will be a 11 digit card no on a sticker on the box..enter 4th,6th,8th,10th digit as password to see the satellite management.
3.In that page you can see signal strength,quality..ensure u have atleast 85-90% for both..also in that page press down arrow key to go to Transponders..there press side arrow keys to go to different transponders and check signals are almost same for all transponders.

Awesomely quick reply. Thanks lake1988. You rock and this forum does too :clapping:

Got the Videocon D2H connection setup and am now running into a rather strange problem.

When watching the Videocon D2H connected via HDMI, my HX850 TV remote appears to not be able to invoke either of the Options or Home settings for the TV when clicked (i.e.) nothing happens. The only keys that appear to work are the TV Volume buttons. I switch the settop box off and the HX850 remote's Home, Options buttons begin to work again.

Anyone else with a HX850 and Videocon D2H noticed this and knows of a workaround/solution?

Check the bravia sync option which is used to control connected devices.

Thanks for the quick reply, baijuxavior. That helped. Here are the details of what I did to get the HX850 remote respond once again when the settop box was on, in case anyone else has a need for this.

Click Sync Menu on the TV remote and from the Bravia Sync menu, select Control TV with TV remote and everything is good again.

@lake1988, could you tell me how your Videocon D2H-DVR experience has been? Have you experienced the problems of not easily finding your previous recordings/etc?

@jsmithe: Is your STB DVR?
How's the experience been so far?

@jsmithe: Is your STB DVR?
How's the experience been so far?

The STB I have is not the one with the built in HDD. It's the white STB, 2222 or something like that which can record via a USB drive if the DVR feature is subscribed to at additional cost. I haven't bothered as yet with enabling this feature so don't know about the DVR features of the STB.

PQ wise, coming from a crappy SD cable feed, the SD quality definitely is better. HD is nowhere near as sharp as the output of BD, but that is to be expected in a comparison against any HD feed in India. Customer care is bog standard as with any d2h provider in India. Install and setup was smooth, they got everything right the first try.

I haven't used TS or any other d2h providers in my current TV setup so can't do an apples to apples compare. HTH.

The STB I have is not the one with the built in HDD. It's the white STB, 2222 or something like that which can record via a USB drive if the DVR feature is subscribed to at additional cost. I haven't bothered as yet with enabling this feature so don't know about the DVR features of the STB.

PQ wise, coming from a crappy SD cable feed, the SD quality definitely is better. HD is nowhere near as sharp as the output of BD, but that is to be expected in a comparison against any HD feed in India. Customer care is bog standard as with any d2h provider in India. Install and setup was smooth, they got everything right the first try.

I haven't used TS or any other d2h providers in my current TV setup so can't do an apples to apples compare. HTH.

Thanks!
Last question:
Interface responsiveness and programme schedule information availability ( does it show info. not available mostly or is there info for next couple of days without fail?)?

Thanks!
Last question:
Interface responsiveness and programme schedule information availability ( does it show info. not available mostly or is there info for next couple of days without fail?)?

I've noticed that moving between channels via the channel up/down keys is quite responsive. However with the EPG displayed and moving through channels there is a noticeable delay but not too much.

Information for shows is available in the EPG. Information availability into the future is about 3 / 4 days but appears to vary by channel, eg. Zee Studio HD has info' for 3 days but Movies Now HD shows info' for 4 days.

Sometine a channel gets skipped when u move channel navigation up/down.
Another issue i see is if power goes off and comes back, i cannot switch on the STB with restart. Another manual power on/off require d to switch it ON.

Anybody facing this?

Sometine a channel gets skipped when u move channel navigation up/down.
I noticed this on a couple or so occassions, but figured it could be due to pressing the channel navigation keys twice due to the slow response time (i.e.) the STB does not respond immediately on the first press, so i press the key again thinking that maybe it did not register and then the two queued commands get executed at once appearing as a channel skip. Will look at this a bit closer the next time I change channels, but I really wish Videocon would fix the irritating slowness of channel changes with a firmware update or something.

Another issue i see is if power goes off and comes back, i cannot switch on the STB with restart. Another manual power on/off require d to switch it ON.
This I haven't noticed, since the STB in my setup feeds off an inverter.

Hi, I have TS SD connection now. Placed the order for videocon D2H HD connection to experience HD viewing in my new Tv. Technician may come tomorrow for installation.
Few questions,
1. Can i ask him to remove the coaxial cable from Tatasky dish and connect to the new D2H dish so that new cable routing is not needed?
2. Can I just stop recharging TS so that my connection will be inactive or should i inform TS to terminate the connection?

Please help

Hi, I have TS SD connection now. Placed the order for videocon D2H HD connection to experience HD viewing in my new Tv. Technician may come tomorrow for installation.
Few questions,
1. Can i ask him to remove the coaxial cable from Tatasky dish and connect to the new D2H dish so that new cable routing is not needed?
2. Can I just stop recharging TS so that my connection will be inactive or should i inform TS to terminate the connection?

Please help

If laying one more cable is not a big problem then get it done. You will have an option of going back and forth between the service providers.
Else use the same cable. I am not sure if you can use the same dish - and just change the receiver and orientation.

Regarding informing TS, just stop subscribing and tell them that you will renew once you shortly if they call.

Can someone confirm the latest D2H STB model number?
Will it come with HDMI cable ?

Thanks for the help. Just wanted to make sure I am getting latest STB so that no follow up for STB change is needed.

rjames123, I took a 2222 based connection recently and I also noticed that after every reboot, it typically needs at least 1 (sometimes 2) recycles for it to work properly.

My friend who has been using Vid D2H for sometime confirmed that he is also seeing the pattern and that it started after he updated the firmware for recording.

Mine is yet to work properly even after 2 weeks of installation. First they installed an SD settop box. Then it had a fault and an adaptor connected to the set-top box become faulty, which they replaced and now after some very minimal run of 4 to 5 hrs, it is fails to show any channel. Service guy came again andvsaid that it needs to be replaced and hevwill come back with a new one. Hopefully I will get that by tomorrow. In any case even when it was working at the time of start up it will boot before the set-top box is operational. Is it normal?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back