Viewing angle in Sony LCD/LED.

BLASTO

Hi Guys,

This is to get some owner perspective on the viewing angle of sony TVs in home condition.

I demoed the TVs in multiple places and sony comes out last in most cases. Samsung was much better and LG/Panasonic even better.

Since we are talking of SPVA panels, I will cut it short to Sony vs Samsung.

We talk about panel lottery and stuff for samsung and say sony is not affected. But having an in person demo makes me wonder is even both companies use the same panels at all!!

40EH5000 has a much better off angle viewing than Sony BX series, Nx series, Cx Series and Ex520 (Others are >70k for 40")

Samsung 6 series is even better than the 5 series for off angle viewing.

How is it possible if they are using the same panel and samsung has panel lottery? Actual demo defies conventional wisdom.

Back to the original question, how is Ex and below series in home environment for off angle viewing?

The BX series has some unknown panel not SPVA.The CX series and EX for 2011 had SPVA for 40" and upwards .

From 2012 not sure about the exact panels in them since Sony no longer has a joint partnership with samsung,but they still buy panels from samsung.

The viewing angles of 2011 models from what i saw where comparable to that of Samsung and in some cases like HX92 series superior.

Now while both samsung and Sony may have the same basic LC layer ,the other components of the panel are either proprietary or OEM version,so there are bound to be some difference.

I have a 46" CX series its viewing angle is more then enough/adequate for 8 feet viewing distance in a 3 people couch.

Now if you where comparing a Edge LED tv like EH5000 vs a CCFL lcd like the BX,CX,NX ,due to the shear brightness of edge led based tvs(in showroom settings) one gets a illusion of higher contrast (it is actually due to bright whites)so when you see at off axis the edge led based tvs will appear to have the edge due to the higher contrast.

The EX series should be on par with samsung edge led tvs.If one has to do a A & B comparision one need to make sure both the tv are at their optimum settings or atleast make sure the backlight and picture/contrast settings are adjusted to optimum level of contrast.

Some of the new panels from VA tech are actually have on par viewing angles vs SPVA,its only in the black levels where they are lacking.

Every year panel tech changes,so SPVA cannot always be the best.
In 2007 and prior its was AMVA which had the edge on most counts.It was a tie in 2008,but from 2009 SPVA had the edge on all parameters ,the gap between VA panels has vastly narrowed in the last 2 years.

Not the most popular websites(in some cases outright dismissed) due to some of their flawed tests ,but i don't think one can go wrong with viewing angles tests,below are all reviews of entry/midrange 2011-2012 sony vs samsung vs others in viewing angles
Screen Performance - Samsung UN40ES6100 Smart LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-32EX523 LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720 LED LCD 3D HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony KDL-32EX520 LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-32BX320 CCFL LCD HDTV

Unfortunately we can never know what panels where in the samsung in those tests.But if they where having the same panel the difference would be negligble

Now if you where comparing a Edge LED tv like EH5000 vs a CCFL lcd like the BX,CX,NX ,due to the shear brightness of edge led based tvs(in showroom settings) one gets a illusion of higher contrast (it is actually due to bright whites)so when you see at off axis the edge led based tvs will appear to have the edge due to the higher contrast.

The EH5000 is not a edge LED from what I read. Same as EH6000.

Since coming from plasma background, I inadvertantly notice the viewing angles more. Also I did comparison between EH5000 vs all sonys <70k.

Nx520 had the best colours when viewed right from front in the 50k category. Better than sony LEDs <70k. But off angle viewing is bitter. EH5000 was far better than the Nx520.

Samsung 6 series LED came out best @70k range with free BRD player. Again any sony 40" <70k did not come close to either EH5000 or ES6*** in viewing angle.

I recommend those looking for the LEDs to pay attention to this aspect of sonys before putting down the money.

P.S: Iam yet to look into the links posted above.

Not the most popular websites(in some cases outright dismissed) due to some of their flawed tests ,but i don't think one can go wrong with viewing angles tests,below are all reviews of entry/midrange 2011-2012 sony vs samsung vs others in viewing angles
Screen Performance - Samsung UN40ES6100 Smart LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-32EX523 LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-55EX720 LED LCD 3D HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony KDL-32EX520 LED LCD HDTV Review
Viewing Effects - Sony Bravia KDL-32BX320 CCFL LCD HDTV

@Adder.. None of it has EH5000 for comparison. So I selected the EH5000 review (which was present fortunately). Below is the comparison.

Vs Samsung UN40EH6000 - Samsung UN40EH5000 LED LCD HDTV Review

Dont understand what is particular about the EH5000 which gives it a great viewing angle. (assuming the measurement is right).

Atleast the comparison is inline with what I saw in real life. The Bx/Nx were worser than the Ex mentioned in the comparison.

Also, the question remains. If they use the same panels, how come the viewing angles are so widely different?
Is there anything more to viewing angles more than hardware?

Well if they did have the same panels,then the difference won't be much.But then again sony HX92 had a SPVA or AMVA tech panel but it had better viewing angles then other VA based tvs and even compared to IPS based tvs with lesser contrast shift.So i guess other layers of the panel can make a difference.

In that comparison the EH5000 does have better viewing angles then EH6000 it also has better blacks according to that review.Now from last years observation the 6 series edgeLED always had a SPVA panel.So assuming samsung didn't start panel lottery in series 6 and they have a SPVA panel,then the EH5000 may have some other panel probably a AMVA (as with last years series 5 edge led )

Unless we see whats the panel in EH5000 we can never know for sure,if you have access to that particular EH5000 that you saw you could access the service menu (info,menu,mute,power) and see what panel is it,then we can know what tech is it.

Unless we see whats the panel in EH5000 we can never know for sure,if you have access to that particular EH5000 that you saw you could access the service menu (info,menu,mute,power) and see what panel is it,then we can know what tech is it.

It is in the store. Will try anyways.
One thing for sure is, the black level of EH5000 is not better than ES6*** LED I saw.. EH6000 is not released in India as it is not present in samsung india page.

The EX650 and NX650 series have pretty good off axis viewing angles. I noticed comments here saying that the Sony's had poor viewing angles so i made a point of checking them out in the stores when i went to check out TVs.

I saw the Samsung ES5600 and the EX650 and the NX650 side by side and all of them had pleasing viewing characteristics at off angles :)

If you are really so much concerned about the viewing angle, then why don't you go for LG TV, which has IPS panel in it. The inbuilt IPS panel makes the people to view the same picture quality from any angle.

I will be more concerned on pic quality rather than noticing viewing angle...who sit at an angle of 120 deg-170 deg..

My family uses a Sony hx800 series led tv. The viewing angle is not as good as an IPS panel.

However the panel itself, the detail, clarity, brightness, speed and contrast is the best out of any tv I've seen. White is totally white and not yellowish or reddish or blueish.

I will be more concerned on pic quality rather than noticing viewing angle...who sit at an angle of 120 deg-170 deg..
I agree. General sitting arrangement usually is, main sofa facing TV and smaller units at 90. So anyone sitting on the side will be having around 45 to 60 angle to TV. If those persons get a good view without loosing details, it should be fine.

No no.. Iam not talking of such extereme angles. Even in 45" there is considerable difference.
It might suit rectangular rooms where the TV is placed in the smaller side. Wont be as good is placed alont the longer side.

My family uses a Sony hx800 series led tv. The viewing angle is not as good as an IPS panel.

However the panel itself, the detail, clarity, brightness, speed and contrast is the best out of any tv I've seen. White is totally white and not yellowish or reddish or blueish.

:)
Iam talking of TVs in 50-60k range here.. :)
I know you almost won a lottery in your TV purchase.. Not everyone can.. ;)

The EX650 and NX650 series have pretty good off axis viewing angles. I noticed comments here saying that the Sony's had poor viewing angles so i made a point of checking them out in the stores when i went to check out TVs.

I saw the Samsung ES5600 and the EX650 and the NX650 side by side and all of them had pleasing viewing characteristics at off angles :)

Thanks.
Did not check EX650 as they did not have.
Ex520 was poor as mentioned.
Will check this weekend elsewhere.

Okey.. Below is the shortlist when I took my FIL to Reliance today.. He is coming from a CRT and watched usual SD channels that he knows of.. Below are deciding comments..

Samsung EH5000 - Rejected (Artificial colours (!!) - Looks like cartoon)
Panasonic XT50 - Shortlist 3 (Glare.. Will it be good in the room? Won't watch TV in the night, is it required)
Sony NX520 - Shortlist 1 (Looks gorgeous (!!), Natural picture, Almost sold, No offers currently :( )
Panasonic E5 - Shortlist 2 (Good.. But not as good as XT50, No HT also)
LG CS560 - Rejected (Why is it so dizzy?? (Football) )

@adder, If you give a go, NX520 it is.. You have friends owning this? Whats the ownership story? Any offers in the horizon from past year? Iam not following sony at all..

NX520 was the original Monolithic model right? How is the effect of reflection, when I last checked in Sony showroom, it was kind of concern for me..how's the experience now?

NX520 was the original Monolithic model right? How is the effect of reflection, when I last checked in Sony showroom, it was kind of concern for me..how's the experience now?

With gazzilion LED TVs lined up and Nx520 being close to a Panasonic and Samsung plasma, it din't look all that reflective..

In fact, I din't come accross even a single matt finish LCD.. Looks like an extinct breed :( ..

P.S: Where is Sony showroom?? The two I know of in Kondapur and Banjara hills seem to have closed. Looking for one.

NX520 high price is due to the monolithic design and a SPVA panel,there is not much to complain about the picture quality.

Unlike the more expensive monolithic design like NX720 and HX series which has gorilla glass with a opti contrast coating to minimize both external and internal reflection,this one just minimizes the external reflections.
If the living room has light source from the front 180 of the tv the one can clearly see the reflection.

This also has the inferior BE3(mostly inferior in deinterlacing department vs the X-reality + upscaling from low resolution internet video x-reality has the edge) but on the plus side it plays many more formats via USB.

Once again if your FIL doesn't mind the 1 year warranty you can get a 46" tv with the x reality for cheaper price then the NX520.Doesn't hurt telling him the grey market option.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back