Vintage Aiwa P 30 Micro Power Amp Resto/Mod

ethan

Alright!.. was commissioned a project on an Aiwa P 30 Power amp.The owner had shorted the output terminals of course by mistake and one of the STK 0050s blew up.

Yes the amp was upgraded from a 0040 to a 0050 by the previous owner.The amp was purchased by the current owner from an audio dealer along with its sweet sounding matching Preamp.

Anyway for those of you who don't know this amp...This was ones of Aiwa's flagship micro series..came with a tuner,preamp,and cassette deck,probably even a timer.But this was no ordinary mini component set.The power amp has a toroidal transformer with two heat sinks running the full side length of the amp.The STKs it uses are mono ones to avoid cross talk and even the power amp modules are two different pcbs vertically mounted to save space.
The rectifier section has Nippon's 40v 10000 uf caps loaded so should give good amount of punch with a good pre.
Anyway here are the specs that is with the original STK 0040 plugged in.

aiwaP30_zps311c6778.jpg.html

Anyway we tried to source the STK...actually the owner tried his best to source one with his contacts.He did get a few but most of them were either used that were pulled out from a scrap amp or the rest were Chinese replicas.

If it was any other guy I would have told to scrap the amp cause even though it was rare it was not worth it to repair it cause it was a gamble.The STKs were gonna be sourced from Honk Kong but it is possible they could arrive dead on arrival.That was not the only point over the years the PCB itself got warped and thus many of the tracks were cracking.

But this guy loved the amp so I offered him another route to fit an audiophile diy amp module inside and hard wire it to the power supply and the other various outputs it needed and keep it as original as possible.
So he was OK with that cause at least the amp would run trouble free for the next 6 to 7 years

The only problem was the amp was too small to fit in the regular kits:sad:
But then I found the LM3886 would just fit the bill.The Supply voltages were directly in the required zone and the ic is a well know one with really good specs.

With the amps original power supply i can easily pull out raw 55w with 8ohm load and 0.03THD and 96db S/N ratio which is pretty impressive.

So this thread is about the restoration/modification of this amp and hoping to bring this vintage beauty back to life.Updates will be posted timely when progress is done.Even I'm excited about what will be the turnout of this amp and hopefully it should sound as good as or better than the original modules.
Pics will be posted later I assure you cause it is really boring with pics lats face it :eek:hyeah:

Thanks,
Ethan.

Ok just a quick update...
Some are the pics showing the amp,the flaws it has on it...
Yes the only foot of the amp has a potentiometer securing nut glued with a rubber compound...:sad: that has to go!
The other pic shows the pic of the original Darlington STK 0050 which will be replaced by the LM3886
And the rest of the pics show the space inside the amp where the new module will have to fit in and also the pics of the detoriating heatsinks :sad:,And the warped pcb.
I'm sorry for the bad quality pic ....i don't have a dslr camera so all were clicked on a Moto E.
More updates soon.
Thanks,
Ethan
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

First of all, hi to everyone. This is my first post on this forum though I have been following the posts of various members for the last three years or so.
I would call myself a newbie in the world of hifi but I think I have got a good pair of ears. I would take this opportunity to thank the forum members for their valuable input because of which I could own the following equipment :
1. Sansui AU 317 amp
2. Marantz 1090 console amp
3. Aiwa c30 and p30.... It is my power amp which my dear friend Ethan is trying to modify
4. Sansui TU 217
5. Teac cdp 1160 d
6. Philips ga 342 tt
7. Mirage omni 150 speakers
8. Sansui sp x6000 speakers

All the best to Ethan for the modification!!!

the STK amp module seems to be available online on ebay. The question of fakes is there, but I suppose you could always buy from a reputed seller?
Or was the PCB hopelessly damaged?

Well PCB is in a rather bad condition.Tracks are pealing out if you even rub it with your nail and the board is heavily warped and causing a lot of tracks is cracking thus during this modification we will be hard wiring the LM modules.
Our first choice was order to order the STK from a dealer but there was really no guaranteed they would work and it could be a good possibility they could be DOA.Even if they would work I don't think the PCB would have held for more than 2 years.It was a big gamble to throw in that much money and the amp would not last that long.
Finally its an STK not some Technics super A IC that had a superior performance.Also Sanyo stopped production of this ic probably in 1998 or before that so all the new one are mostly Chinese replicas while the NOS IC's are worth more than the whole amp itself.
So we thought this was the best deal to save this beauty.

Hope you plan to replace the power supply filter caps too.
Make sure to get genuine caps, as there are lot of fakes in the market

Actually the filter caps will remain the same cause they tested around 84% good on my FLUKE 287 and even the owner would like to keep the amp as original as possible.

filter caps are one of the first thing to be replaced in any restoration. they're a ticking time bomb if you don't replace them. If you want originality, find a replacement part from the same brand. Someone who is replacing the whole amplifier section in an amp does not have the moral authority to use that excuse about originality :p

Well that's not for me to decide cause finally i'm not the owner of the amp and the owner insists on keeping the original parts as much as possible.
Anyway plans are about to change about fitting in the LM module cause now we are planning to rebuild the original Darlington power back replicas so will keep you updated.
Thanks,
Ethan.

Well, the whole point was to keep the amp in original state as much as possible if the original stk was available. True, filter caps are a ticking time bomb but if they measure 85 percent good, they need not be replaced. There has been a huge debate among audiophiles about full recapping, will not discuss it in this thread.
Restoration means to replace only the bad components and replace with equivalents which are equal or better in characteristics. Our filter caps did not fit that bill, hence not being replaced blindly. Hope this clarifies.

Hi All Gurus,
Can someone help me with a reliable source for stk 0050 please? In case somebody is having a spare stk 0050 I don't mind buying the same. Thanks for all the help.

my best suggestion is to buy from a US/Euro supplier with very high (~99.9%) feedback.
There are no places that sell assured genuine stuff.

Buy it, and run the amp at full output into a resistive load for a few days to stress test it.

Thanks Greenhorn for your prompt response. I have figured out a supplier from Germany.....name is Kessler Electronics. Fits the reliability bill of 99percent positive feedback and has been an ebay member since 2002.

Hope such suppliers could be termed reliable. The pricing of stks is so wide that you tend to get confused.

Thanks once again, I will follow your advice and go for us / euro supplier.

Ordered for a pair of stk 0040 from kessler electronics germany , thru ebay. Price with shipment after Xmas discount came to 1600 inr.
Hope the stk work well in the circuit...keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that Germany maintains it's reputation for quality products.

Will keep progress updated.

Tha AIWA P30 project was finally completed last week by my dear friend Ethan. I must thank him for the wonderful work that he has done on the amp. The amp has been thoroughly cleaned inside out, all the ceramic capacitors have been replaced, the voltage selector has been bypassed since the selector had corroded, it is now suitable for 240 v only. The earlier owner had tweaked the amp to work only at 4 ohm load....this would have killed my vintage Sansui speakers, but thanks to ethan this has been rectified. All broken or loose tracks have been fixed, the stk 0040 from germany has been fitted with the heat sinking compound. All rusted screws have been replaced with galvanized screws. The transformer which did not have a secure base now is housed and secured properly.
I connected my CD player, tuner n turntable to the amp and tested the same. This really is a small big monster. Solid power, solid details and clarity n the amp does not run hot, it just runs warm.

I have never come across a 17 year old rookie technician with an eye for detail and astounding command on the subject.

One small correction or rather explanation.....Ethan gives you the impression of a rookie but when he talks u know he is a master of his subject

Thanks Krish2003 for your kind words...Something what really drives me is the love for these vintage amps may it be the cheapest or the most expensive and the feeling that I have pulled another vintage audio system out of retirement and have made the owner really happy.
Hope the Aiwa P30 gives you years of hassle free service and take good care of that little monster cause we both know what it is capable of :)
Thanks,
Ethan.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back