Vintage FM Tuner

Vivek Batra

Hi

I am planning to add a vintage analogue FM tuner to my stereo setup. I have a modern Luxman dac and Luxman IA. I am visiting Europe in November and planning to buy from there. So far I have zeroed in on Luxman analogue tuners. I am open to suggestions which one I should be looking at. Kenwood, Sansui, Technics, Pioneer or something else?

I know a dealer in Belgium, he sells various brands so plan is to visit him and buy.

Please suggest some good tuners.

Thanks.

Hi

I am planning to add a vintage analogue FM tuner to my stereo setup. I have a modern Luxman dac and Luxman IA. I am visiting Europe in November and planning to buy from there. So far I have zeroed in on Luxman analogue tuners. I am open to suggestions which one I should be looking at. Kenwood, Sansui, Technics, Pioneer or something else?

I know a dealer in Belgium, he sells various brands so plan is to visit him and buy.

Please suggest some good tuners.

Thanks.
Magnum Dynalab are known to have some of the finest tuners and vintage sets are pretty affordable

One of the most under rated or perhaps, never spoken about tuners, the Grundig T5000

This was part of the Grundig 5000 system, featuring a brilliant CF5500-2 cassette deck and a great Integrated amp, the V5000. German audio engineering at its very best!

and then there is the Revox B760

Note: not many vintage tuners feature remote controllers :)

One of the most under rated or perhaps, never spoken about tuners, the Grundig T5000

This was part of the Grundig 5000 system, featuring a brilliant CF5500-2 cassette deck and a great Integrated amp, the V5000. German audio engineering at its very best!

and then there is the Revox B760

Note: not many vintage tuners feature remote controllers :)
I would love to buy Grundig. Once I saw a Grundig stereo console in Belgium and I was intrigued.

I would love to buy Grundig. Once I saw a Grundig stereo console in Belgium and I was intrigued.
well said. Personally my relationship with Grundig goes back a long way. When in school, i had a humble CR455 portable cassette recorder which was like any other portable cassette player of those times but with a difference. Its recording quality via line input was so good that it sounded like recordings made on a proper stereo cassette deck with dolby (albeit in mono). The build quality was superb and if played through an amp (via its line output) or connected to a proper external speaker (via its external speaker jack), it sounded great. Grundig made some great sounding gear in the late 60s, through the 70s and early 80s (to me, some of them were a bit ugly-looking though).

well said. Personally my relationship with Grundig goes back a long way. When in school, i had a humble CR455 portable cassette recorder which was like any other portable cassette player of those times but with a difference. Its recording quality via line input was so good that it sounded like recordings made on a proper stereo cassette deck with dolby (albeit in mono). The build quality was superb and if played through an amp (via its line output) or connected to a proper external speaker (via its external speaker jack), it sounded great. Grundig made some great sounding gear in the late 60s, through the 70s and early 80s (to me, some of them were a bit ugly-looking though).
Has quick check on internet Grundig T5000 is available as low as Euro 100. Which is dirt cheap I guess.

Grundig were in the audio market in 2000s too before they died out. I was thinking of getting one system but then was bitten by "Bose bug" and lost money in that.

I had a 29" CRT from 2000 for a few years and no TV sounded like it. It came with a learning remote and I think it could control 5 or 6 devices .

Am quite satisfied with my vintage Yamaha T-85 tuner. It has natural sound and great soundstage besides a ton of features and filters (which I tend to keep off). A tuner that should delight audiophiles. It’s just that content on FM (esp the RJ excess) means I only seldom listen to it. Internet radio, in comparison, I listen to a lot.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back