• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

For Sale Vintage Silver Sony Components

QUAD

pathakajit

For sale is a vintage Sony stack from 1978-79.

It is systems like these which help explain why Sony is an internationally well known brand. The build quality is great and sonic ability of each component is very very good. Although these were not top of the line Sony components in their day, they punch way above their height.

Each component is in a fantastic cosmetic condition. I have recently cleaned the contacts and pots in each component. The tape deck has a brand new belt kit which was installed about a month ago. The Turntable has a brand new replacement conical diamond tip stylus with under 2 hours of usage on it.

See this video of the entire system in action-
https://youtu.be/YC10WymK9_M

Mandatory pictures

List of components-

Sony STR-212AS Stereo Receiver

Clean and trouble free piece. Looks beautifully retro with the aluminum faceplate, big tuner scale and chunky knobs and levers.
Great build quality with no cheap plastic bits.

Sound reproduction is very natural and musical. Sensitive tuner section pulls in stations easily. Internal Phono stage is very detailed and clear.

Sony TC-U2 Cassette Deck

Fantastic looking deck with piano keys and twin integrated and distinctively styled VU meters. Sound signature is very smooth and soothing - reminds me of my luxman R1030 receiver that is often described as 'tube-like'. I have had very joyful music listening experiences using this deck. The previous owner had not used the deck (or any other components) much. I maybe have about 7 cassettes and dont listen to them much either. The record and playback heads are original and in great shape.

Sony PS-212A Direct Drive Turntable

this TT is a looker! and as are other components, the TT is in near mint condition. There are a couple of foggy areas on the dustcover and also there is a crack at the back of the dustcover. The rest of the TT looks shiny, sparkly and new. Sound signature - WOW.. im very very surprised by this TT. For being one of Sony's entry level TTs, this deck is fabulous.
The TT has Sony VL-14G integrated headshell MM phono cartridge and a brand new Topodis replacement stylus - ND-14G with under 2 hours of playtime. Very able stylus which tracks great and effortlessly even on warped and bubbled vinyl. the stylus is also very quiet and greatly reduces the snap-crackle-pop while playing LPs.

Sony SS-37 Speakers

These are two way floor standing speakers with a passive radiator. They have a lush warm sound signature and sound good with the rest of the components. i remember reading somewhere that speaker designs with passive radiators are more complex but often give more accurate sounding speakers - compared to ported/bass reflex cabinets. These speakers sounded a bit too warm to me and so i put a little recron fiber in each cabinet. That tightened up the bass... the way i like it. I must mention that i used these speakers mostly in a small room with near field listening. buyer may experiment removing the recron from inside the speakers to suit his/her taste and room size.
Cabinets and grills and gill cloth are in good condition. The grill frame has a minor dent on the top left of one speaker but, is largely not noticeable.
The woofer has inverted cloth type surrounds and should last a lifetime.

A 'similar' system as seen in Sony 1978-79 catalog-

The entire system is for sale at INR 27000.
If a buyer already has a TT and does not wish to buy another one, I can keep the TT. The total price for remaining components in that case is INR 17000

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.
Last edited:

pathakajit

There has been a good amount if interest in individual components. I am not looking to sell the components separately at the moment.

Finding an entire stack of matching and fully functional components of this vintage and in near mint condition is a rare event.

So, I am hoping that someone has an opportunity to buy the entire system.

Local buyers are preferred. Shipping would be at actual cost of packing + shipping and at buyer's risk. Interested FMs are encouraged to have the system picked up by a friend/colleague/relative.

pathakajit

There is a good amount of interest from outstation buyers. Keeping the sale open for local buyer till the weekend. Will agree to ship then.

pathakajit

Breaking up the system into separate components for sale.

All components are blocked for outstation FMs.

Will update thread once monies and received and components are shipped.

Thanks for looking.

pathakajit

Payment received for Receiver + Speakers.
will be packed up for pickup/shipping.

pathakajit

Receiver and speakers are received by the hyderabad FM.
All items reached the FM in the same condition as they left me.
FM is pleased with the condition and the sound.

Turntable and Cassette deck are available again, priced at 10K and 5K respectively.

I will add another Vintage Sony Receiver- STR 313S (See details of this receiver here- Earlier Post ) and 3 way vintage floor standing Sony speakers to make this into a complete set again - incase anyone would like to own the entire vintage system. Will update the post with new pictures and component prices soon.

Last edited:

pathakajit

The Sony Stack is now updated-

Replaced the sold speakers and Receiver with Sony SS-S350 3 way floor standing speakers and Sony STR-313S Receiver. The Cassette Deck TC-U2 and Turntable PS-212A are also still available. The newly added receiver is period correct and also seen in the Sony 1978-1979 catalogs.

Sony SS-S350 speakers-

These are very good sounding FS speakers. They have a heavy cabinet that is ported to give out a rich and full sound. Since i like very tight bass and was using these in a small room, i have stuffed the cabinets with recron fiber. the mids and highs are detailed. Over all, a very clean and accurate sounding speaker pair that is great value for the asking price.
Cabinets are in good condition considering the age. The grill and grill cloth are in an over all good shape except for minor scuffing on some corners.

STR-313S Receiver-
This is a very beautiful receiver with brushed aluminum faceplate and chunky knobs and levers that are well crafted from billet aluminum. Rated at about 28wpc RMS, this receiver sounds very powerful and has more than enough grunt to do its job.
A spectacular looking receiver!
pictures are from earlier detailed post that can be read here

ENtire System-

Entire System is available for 31k.

Component prices-
Receiver - 10k
Turntable - 10k
Speakers - 6k (Prefer to sell with receiver, if not with the whole system)
Cassette Deck - 5k

TT has brand new stylus with about 2 hours of usage. Tape deck has a brand new belt kit. The Speakers and receiver are all original, never repaired and fully functional.

Note- if you did not read the previous post referenced for the receiver, it has some rust pattern on the top cover which cannot be seen in the photos here.

Last edited:

pathakajit

Price drop for the entire system to 30k.
Its a very very good value at this price.

Prices of separate components remain same.

I will hold the system till until the weekend before I start selling off separate components.

This is not a distress sale. Please do not send lowball offers :)

pathakajit

The entire stack is bought by a gentleman FM from Mumbai. Monies are received and pickup is awaited.

pathakajit

The system is picked up as arranged by the buyer.

This thread is now closed.

Thank you for looking.