It is systems like these which help explain why Sony is an internationally well known brand. The build quality is great and sonic ability of each component is very very good. Although these were not top of the line Sony components in their day, they punch way above their height.
Each component is in a fantastic cosmetic condition. I have recently cleaned the contacts and pots in each component. The tape deck has a brand new belt kit which was installed about a month ago. The Turntable has a brand new replacement conical diamond tip stylus with under 2 hours of usage on it.
See this video of the entire system in action-
List of components-
Sony STR-212AS Stereo Receiver
Clean and trouble free piece. Looks beautifully retro with the aluminum faceplate, big tuner scale and chunky knobs and levers.
Great build quality with no cheap plastic bits.
Sound reproduction is very natural and musical. Sensitive tuner section pulls in stations easily. Internal Phono stage is very detailed and clear.
Sony TC-U2 Cassette Deck
Fantastic looking deck with piano keys and twin integrated and distinctively styled VU meters. Sound signature is very smooth and soothing - reminds me of my luxman R1030 receiver that is often described as 'tube-like'. I have had very joyful music listening experiences using this deck. The previous owner had not used the deck (or any other components) much. I maybe have about 7 cassettes and dont listen to them much either. The record and playback heads are original and in great shape.
Sony PS-212A Direct Drive Turntable
this TT is a looker! and as are other components, the TT is in near mint condition. There are a couple of foggy areas on the dustcover and also there is a crack at the back of the dustcover. The rest of the TT looks shiny, sparkly and new. Sound signature - WOW.. im very very surprised by this TT. For being one of Sony's entry level TTs, this deck is fabulous.
The TT has Sony VL-14G integrated headshell MM phono cartridge and a brand new Topodis replacement stylus - ND-14G with under 2 hours of playtime. Very able stylus which tracks great and effortlessly even on warped and bubbled vinyl. the stylus is also very quiet and greatly reduces the snap-crackle-pop while playing LPs.
Sony SS-37 Speakers
These are two way floor standing speakers with a passive radiator. They have a lush warm sound signature and sound good with the rest of the components. i remember reading somewhere that speaker designs with passive radiators are more complex but often give more accurate sounding speakers - compared to ported/bass reflex cabinets. These speakers sounded a bit too warm to me and so i put a little recron fiber in each cabinet. That tightened up the bass... the way i like it. I must mention that i used these speakers mostly in a small room with near field listening. buyer may experiment removing the recron from inside the speakers to suit his/her taste and room size.
Cabinets and grills and gill cloth are in good condition. The grill frame has a minor dent on the top left of one speaker but, is largely not noticeable.
The woofer has inverted cloth type surrounds and should last a lifetime.
A 'similar' system as seen in Sony 1978-79 catalog-
The entire system is for sale at INR 27000.
If a buyer already has a TT and does not wish to buy another one, I can keep the TT. The total price for remaining components in that case is INR 17000
BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!
Please consider making a voluntary donation to help towards the running of HiFiViSION.COM
Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.
- Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
- Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
- Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
- The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
- Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
- Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
- It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
- Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
- Do your research on comparative prices for the product.
- Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
- Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
- Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
- Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
- Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.