• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Vintage speakers

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
Wharfedale Diamond 11 Series
D

Deleted member 38504

Looking out for vintage speakers to go with my beautiful sansui au777 amp.

Budget can be discussed.

They have to be floorstanding which means for me at least 2 to 3 feet in height so I can put them on the floor.

Only Mumbai or Navi Mumbai.

Thank you.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

navinsinha

Looking out for vintage speakers to go with my beautiful sansui au777 amp.

Budget can be discussed.

They have to be floorstanding which means for me at least 2 to 3 feet in height so I can put them on the floor.

Only Mumbai or Navi Mumbai.

Thank you.

I would suggest you go for new ones! Lakozy at Chowpaty has quite a few good ones. For Monitor Audio and Quad, go to Homiyar of Boomrang. Audition it and then buy.

D

Deleted member 38504

I have a pair of new polk speaker's Navin sir, but I want the look of vintage speaker's to go with my sansui au 777!

I wanna keep it old!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 38504

Thanks ed, I'm hoping that a forum member wants to let go of their speakers that I can buy.

greenhorn

what's your budget ? Unless you are looking at some high end alnico etc, its better to buy new. vintage speakers in the <50K budget are mostly damaged in some way or the other, and repairing them is not as straightforward as electronics.

If you want vintage sound, that can still be achieved using new drivers like the Philips hiQ or eminence full rangers in a custom box.
I bought a pair of vintage sony bookshelves at a high price to find out that while they were cosmetically in good condition, the drivers were totally useless, and had to replace them with modern ones

navinsinha

I have a pair of new polk speaker's Navin sir, but I want the look of vintage speaker's to go with my sansui au 777!

I wanna keep it old!

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

Hi Derek,
A dealer has AR 11 asking for 15K, I don't know the condition, if you want, I can let you know his number. But check it well before you decide.

oracle1974

I have Arphi Super Challenger series in cosmetically very good condition. The last time I played them , they were sounding good. If the speakers are of your liking, I can offer them to you.

Last time I played them was about 4 years ago.

Last edited:

atanu mukerji

try norge at eastern electronics,225 hammersmith ind estate,ST.rd.,mahim,Mumbai-16.
contact person.laxman.
Norge Audio
new FS speakers TWR125 ,vintage in looks @ less than 25k.

D

Deleted member 38504

Thanks oracle and atanu, I am not looking to buy an Indian brand honestly.

But a visit to Easter electronics definitely seems a must do! Thanks for that!

Thread still open!

CLEARCUT

I have vintage Infinity reference 2 speakers in immaculate condition. Polished the enclosure as good as new and the front net cover is done as original as. All are untouched and working 100% perfect. Network capacitors have been upgraded. But It is in Tamilnadu and heavy. Two 10 inch lf driver in a closed enclosure and two squakers one ribbon tweeter up above the enclosure fixed on a open baffle. Behind the open baffle there is one ribbon tweeter. There are two controls for lf and hf. All are working excellent. If interested only contact me. Tranportation can be done up to chennai.

rohitmusic

Thanks oracle and atanu, I am not looking to buy an Indian brand honestly.

But a visit to Easter electronics definitely seems a must do! Thanks for that!

Thread still open!

In my experience of listening some specific Indian brands like Norge for example and some others such punch much above their "phoren" counterparts.
This is due to 2 main reasons:
1) if you consider the delivery chain of imported goods and taxes of doing so you get very less value for what you pay.
2) There are many good Indian designers and manufacturers. Since its made locally costs automatically come down (unless imported parts used)
3) best bang for buck is DIY. The value is crazy but thanks to gurus on our forum and their deep knowledge and willingness to share and help others. But this needs patience and perseverance. DIY is not "cheap" by any means though and has its caveats of implementation.

As a disclaimer I have no affiliation with any Indian brand but I have heard many Indian brand speakers/amplifiers/etc to beat branded stuff hands down.

Just wanted to add perspective. Times are changing :)
Best luck
Take care :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 38504

Thanks I do agree to a certain extent to what u say. Having said that,I prefer a pair of Nike to paragon shoes anyway lol :-D

I missed a good pair of vintage JBL by a couple of days sadly :-(

Let's see how this ends. I already picked up a pair of pioneer bookshelves in immaculate condition from a very nice gentleman in Mumbai. I'm still looking for a pair of vintage floorstanders!

Thanks for all your inputs!

frend2001

Hi

With due respect to Vintage speaker lovers and aficionados I have few observations :

1. A vintage speaker has been exposed to the elements for long time, moist air and pollution erode the moving parts and in a driver there are moving parts i.e. the voice coil and spider and the cone.

2. A cone made from paper may have been subjected to many changes in temp and humidity to remain in a great shape.

3. Corrosion will creep in.

and also it depends upon the way the speakers have been used by the previous owner.

A lot can do wrong while using the speakers.

My observation is :

Go for new speakers at place of vintage ones, the technology has not gone backward. Things have improved. New materials have come in.

A new driver will always be in its optimal condition to reproduce the sound.

There are many things to consider before buying speakers. I'm told often speakers are weakest chain of the whole setup.

rohitmusic

Thanks I do agree to a certain extent to what u say. Having said that,I prefer a pair of Nike to paragon shoes anyway lol :-D

I missed a good pair of vintage JBL by a couple of days sadly :-(

Let's see how this ends. I already picked up a pair of pioneer bookshelves in immaculate condition from a very nice gentleman in Mumbai. I'm still looking for a pair of vintage floorstanders!

Thanks for all your inputs!

The only main difference I see in good Indian brands and other stuff is the fancy cabinet and the brand name itself.
I love to judge if everything is stripped off to only the circuits and listen how it sounds. This is my biggest learning from DIY!

As of vintage like another FM rightly pointed out there are big caveats in going vintage. Going vintage is a very romantic indulgence but many times it needs multiple times more effort to come to full potential.

Also NO I don't feel most (not all!) modern equipment especially speakers in the mid-range segment (read <50k) that I have heard sound as good as their counterparts of the gone era if singing in their full potential. A good vintage system can create magic new setup can't. But the era has changed and so has music so we need to validate our assumptions at every step. Also when you are in the market for vintage stuff you might end up with scrap if not with proper guidance.

So unless you have guidance and perseverance to keep up with old equipment (vintage) its best to keep away. When they sing they are brilliant but what do you do when they break down?

So do consider all scenarios carefully!

Cheers!

rohitmusic

"the technology has not gone backward. Things have improved. New materials have come in."

This is true factually.

But you might still hear people say "they just don't make it like this anymore!"

Or "why did I spend all the $ on my shiny new system when this(vintage) can sound so...... Good even after all these years!"

Or "this system plays <put your genre here> unlike any other system I've ever heard"

Or "the engineers of that time really knew their music! "

Also once I read a very good quote "what sounds good today will sound good 20 years from now!"
I don't intend to imply anything either ways but its interesting to think back about...

frend2001

Yes you are right too.

But about vintage stuff there are biases involved.

Only yesterday's TOTL stuff be it amp / TT / Tuner / Speakers are worth comparing to today's stuff.

"they just don't make it like this anymore!" it's more a nostalgic exclamation but yes in many ways it's true also.

Older cars were very heavy cos they couldn't get their hands on high tensile strength steel sheets so they used thicker steel sheets. So heavy they became.

The Amps of yesteryear which we very fondly hunt down on olx are mostly result of a sorta Cold War between manufacturers.

You will admit many of them are an overkill basically. I'm not denying that they weren't good but using them today is such a pain. You need to go for re-capping, cleaning, sourcing Unobtainium parts and what not.

I've been through this, so putting forward this case. A vintage gear may give nostalgic satisfaction but maintaining them and keep them running is such a pain in A*#.

Having said that all my equipments are vintage. So I can say it from my experience and sufferings. :eek:hyeah:

"the technology has not gone backward. Things have improved. New materials have come in."

This is true factually.

But you might still hear people say "they just don't make it like this anymore!"

Or "why did I spend all the $ on my shiny new system when this(vintage) can sound so...... Good even after all these years!"

Or "this system plays <put your genre here> unlike any other system I've ever heard"

Or "the engineers of that time really knew their music! "

Also once I read a very good quote "what sounds good today will sound good 20 years from now!"
I don't intend to imply anything either ways but its interesting to think back about...

greenhorn

^^ those drivers are available new for 700 a pair. are a pair of vintage speaker boxes worth 5.2k?