Vintage vs. "modern" amplifiers

koushikp

Hi all,

firstly if this topic has been discussed before would like to apologize and appreciate a link to that thread...

hope I don't start a fight here...and that's the precise reason I refrained from starting this topic earlier despite meaning to for the past two weeks..

As some of the FMs must have noticed I am in the hunt for an amplifier for my Krypton TL speakers, and this time I was resolute in trying all options before I pull the trigger, currently being adequately served by the indeed TA2020 till I find the right one, and I have been exploring primarily pre-owned stuff as my budget has become somewhat modest due to some recent financial outgo..

Recently I had the good fortune of visiting one of the FMs in Mumbai who is a vintage audio gear lover. Now being relatively new to the hi-fi world I HAD a mental block towards stuff built before the 90s, e.g. I have seen Sansui only on the decline, I had no idea they made "THE" amplifiers in the 70s. after listening to some of the vintage gear which were 30-50 years old I was thoroughly surprised by their sound quality and now I am now open to looking at vintage stuff also but a few questions pop up in my head:

1. Is yesterday's high end comparable to today's mid range in terms of technology? e.g. A Sansui 717 would be comparable to which amps today?
2. I have heard the term "they don't make em like they used to" in all spheres of life...but is it actually true for amplifiers and if yes then in which aspects?
3. What are "Real" technical advancements that has happened in solid state amplifiers over the last 30 years?
4. in terms of pure reliability how long is any decently built amplifier is meant to last before it starts giving problems? and is this scenario different in newer amps vs vintage ones?

I hope this starts a discussion which educates everybody including me from an objective point of view and not just subjective sound quality debates which are based on taste and more importantly memory, If one has grown up with a equipment during their formative years they will but always look at those equipment and its sound signature with love and nostalgia...that same impression may or may not apply to a new listener like me...

You are pretty much right in your thinking. This is a very complex subject. All vintage is not as good as todays gear and all todays gear are not as good as some good vintage beauties.

For all practical purposes and in the realm of reasonable priced high fidelity gear, not much has changed in the last couple of decades. Take a proven classic amp from the eighties or nineties and get it refurbished and working like new ( this needs to be done by people who understand these gear and have years of experience doing it mostly the balanced engineering kind with good ears ). If you use these with appropriate speakers, they will sound very very good. In some cases more satisfying than many haphazardly put together expensive modern gear.

It all depends on what you choose and how you pair it and what your expectations are. You should seek out vintage gear audiophiles rather than vintage collectors ( the knob polishers) for advice.

Good to see another nice thread started against an parallel "vintage speakers / Modern speakers..

Hope the discussion coming towards here will be good and healthy.

Regards

In very simple terms,

When a gear is designed with solid engineering using instruments and tuned by ears for good sonics, it shines in every Era in which it is/was produced.

My childhood experiences, back in the '50s, left me not even considering valves for anything. Back then there were no transistors, of course, so no SS to compare with. it was all valves. Even thought there was nothing to compare it with, of course, as kids we enjoyed the glow coming from inside the boxes... every box, from the "wireless," through the radiogram, to the television.

Does electronic equipment need to "warm up?" Back in those days, we had no doubt: there was a frustratingly long period of silence after switching on!

Sometimes the glow didn't come. Sometimes it did, but there was still no sound. Then tube failure had to be diagnosed and replacements found!

So, for forty or fifty years, I laughed at tube amplifiers.

Only in recent years have I found out that I am quite wrong to do so now. But the past is not always rosy, and was not always the best.

interesting debate - vintage amps vs new amps

In my opinion, its very much in the relm of personal choice. There are also a lot of pre-conceived notions on the subject. It seems to be the default opinon all around that anything with tubes in it, sounds better than transistor or IC based circuits. Also there is a lot of push towards vintage equipment, coming form the audiophile community - vintage amps, turntables and speakers. A lot of buying decisions are influenced by online reviews based on other's opinions and listening tastes. There is also the bragging rights aspect floating around. A guy who enjoys his vinyl of a simple HMV1010 record player cannot pitch online, in the league of a Garrad 301 or 401 owner even if he gets greater pleasure listening to his little record player. In short, there is a lot of subjectivity involved.

Personally, I've always preferred not to go too vintage on my equipment (excluding the turntables). More modern equipment have newer components that are less prone to failure, have upgraded circuitry and design concepts based on the learnings from older models, tend to be easier to service due to their modular nature and more importantly, may be more appealing to one and all. A lot also depends on what you listen to. You'd probably want to listen to Nat King Cole or Tammy Wynette on a 1950s tube amp but you'd probably prefer listening to Metallica or Megadeth on more modern equipment. Again, its all about what sounds good to your ears. With vintage equipment, some degree of knowledge about what's inside would be useful. Getting these repaired can be quite a challenge if something goes wrong.

4. in terms of pure reliability how long is any decently built amplifier is meant to last before it starts giving problems? and is this scenario different in newer amps vs vintage ones?

Perhaps 15 years. That too mainly due to electrolytic capacitors that will dry up in this time. But there can be other failures too much earlier in the life of an equipment, like buzzy volume potentiometer, or failed indicator lamps.

3. What are "Real" technical advancements that has happened in solid state amplifiers over the last 30 years?

A quick and dirty comparo of the specs of two mid-fi amps from the 70s and now: a Sansui AU717 integrated amplifier and a Marantz PM6004:

Total harmonic distortion: Sansui 0.025%/Marantz 0.0008%
Signal to noise ratio: Sansui 78dB (MM), 100dB (line)/Marantz 84 (MM), 87dB (line)

Lots of progress in the last 30 years? Not really. More importantly, do we need vanishingly low THDs like the PM6004 has? And how much blacker is the noisefloor when the S/N is improved from 87 dB to (a non-trivial) 100 dB?

Yes, as Reuben mentions above, it's all personal preference. My preference is vintage amplifiers for the reason that the some of the good vintage amplifiers used components of high quality eg Luxman. They were designed to play analogue music and especially had good , dedicated phono stage . Most of the newer amps are designed for digital music and if you compare the cost of high grade components, the newer amplifiers cannot afford to use the same quality of components due to the high competition existing and this reflects on the quality unless one goes for very hi end amplifiers.

Most of the newer amps are designed for digital music

I'm curious to know if this is true, as my first reaction is ...it's analogue by the time it reaches the amplifier anyway, no such thing as "digital music" that side of the DAC chip!

So what makes you say that? Greater frequency range? cleaner? But how would this make a difference?

What I meant is that more prominence is given for the HF range than for mids and LF in my opinion. This is true for many of the modern speakers as well. That's why I mentioned the word "Digital". I have heard several new amps and they do not give the warmth delivered even when connected to a phono stage for listening to vinyl. This is my honest opinion. Others may have other views.

OK, thanks. Whilst I think you chose the wrong word (I'm sure you can buy "warm" DACs if you want), now I understand your meaning ...and preference.

Hi, Just my 2 Cents.

I have been experienced with few latest Amp's and vintage.IMHO The vintage amps are bit superior in Midrange,which i love a lot and latest amps are details in top to bottom.
Its personal preference and still i like to grab the best Vintage amps and preserve\maintain well.

For example my current set Sansui AU719 gives everything i was looking for.

I owned CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A previously. I very much liked the smooth sound of this amp. No amp drove my Celestion ditton 44 like cambridge. Due to lack of phono i gave away that lovely amp at that time. I still miss it.

Questions:
1. Is yesterday's high end comparable to today's mid range in terms of technology? e.g. A Sansui 717 would be comparable to which amps today?
2. I have heard the term "they don't make em like they used to" in all spheres of life...but is it actually true for amplifiers and if yes then in which
aspects?
4. in terms of pure reliability how long is any decently built amplifier is meant to last before it starts giving problems? and is this scenario different in
newer amps vs vintage ones?
5......vintage amps are bit superior in Midrange,which i love a lot and latest amps are details in top to bottom.
6.... "warm" DACs
7.....more prominence is given for the HF range than for mids and LF in my opinion
8.....Lots of progress in the last 30 years?
9.....not even considering valves for anything
10....amplifiers designed for 'digital audio'....

---------------------------
View point!

1. Today's circuitry is built on yesterdays designs ! Most circuit configuration blocks were designed a long time ago. Maybe in the 40's and 50's ! Today's designers often put together these blocks to try and achieve a better overall performance. Not all succeed !
Semiconductor technology has advanced to a point where we have better parts today than were fabricated long ago. Many old circuits sound great when built with today's parts. Sometimes you do need to take care of issues due to the very wideband performance of new parts. Comparing amps by measured performance doesn't tell you what they sound like. You cannot mention amp model numbers unless you have the physical units to compare them by. Remember paper specs can often mean nothing much with regard to sound quality.So you cannot say "tell me which modern amp sounds like the old XYZ-1000 amp". You will need to listen to hundreds of amps which is impossible .Unless someone accidentally has come across a similar sounding one and HAS done a comparison. You can never decide on the sound of a single component against another in different systems and different surroundings.You always need a side by side A/B comparison.

2. They don't make amps like they used to !
Yes, the casings were made with much thicker material and usually out of steel sheets that weighed a lot. The weight alone gave it the feeling of being built like a tank. But that doesn't ensure good sound quality except that cabinet vibration is much lower and parts that are sensitive to that will benefit with beefier casings. Transformers were also beefier. Today they try to make the transformers as small as possible as copper and core material is very expensive and the target is always to reduce manufacturing costs. Good modern amps use properly rated transformers and are quite large and heavy AND quite expensive. They are better than vintage transformers !Now we also have better and bigger ( affordable ) power supply capacitors. So a well designed power supply today is better than a vintage one.
Some old "audio transformers" used in tube amps are considered better than most "audio transformers" manufactured today. That is possibly not completely true. Here the issue is regarding the winding structure which can be quite complex and manufacturers do not divulge how they wind their transformers.It's a trade 'secret' ! But many schemes are there on the Net for anyone to try. Power transformers however are very straightforward and much easier to make.

3. First of all semiconductors and passive parts are vastly superior today.They are also more affordable. Newer semiconductor devices have appeared that make some designs much easier to implement and work better. Some are MOSFET's, LATFET's, IGBT's , faster power diodes etc. So you have a whole range of newer implementations in amplifiers. Very low distortion is fairly easy to achieve as is making very high power amplifiers. Now with classD efficiencies are also higher. ClassD as you all know isn't a digital amp ! Very simply put, it's a power controller with a low pass filter ! It's not an amplifier in the traditional sense.
Then you have class G and class H which could only be implemented with modern components, etc. But it might be interesting to know that many vintage circuits built with modern components can sound absolutely wonderful.

4. Reliability depends on the basic circuit and the components themselves. Modern components from good manufacturers ( even good Chinese parts !) will last longer than vintage parts ! Mainly because modern raw materials are far superior and manufacturing techniques are also highly advanced. When designing they have to ensure that all electrical ratings should be well withing maximum limits and not reached or crossed under any circumstance ( like mains over voltage etc. ).
The other killer is dust and humidity AND now, the polluted air that leaves sticky deposits and fluff on circuit boards if the amps have open vents. These collect humidity during humid days and can cause leakage paths or even shorts thus electrically damaging the amp. Proper heat sinking and ventilation is also important. Many equipment designers skimp on heat sinking to reduce cost of manufacture. So when played at their limits ,everything gets hotter than it should and that kills it's life span. Heat kills ! So basically, good design methods will ensure that modern equipment will last longer than vintage ones. This requirement leaves out a vast majority of equipment we buy today !

5. This can't be generally true . There are a lot of modern amps that are , what we would call 'transparent'. They don't alter anything within the bandwidth. Superior mid range could only describe an amp with low levels of distortion AND it's distortion spectra. The ear is very sensitive to midrange and so any distortions that alter the 'sound of the midrange' will be immediately noticed. Good tube amps ( probably not all !) have a monotonically decreasing distortion spectra . Even order harmonics generally don't sound bad to the ear and higher levels of second harmonic sounds 'warm' to the ear !Some attribute a plus point to this 'warm' sound .....while it's only high second order harmonic distortion ! For this to work the higher order harmonics should be significantly lower than the second harmonic distortion.
In solid state amps you can alter the operating conditions and stage design to change the balance of the distortion spectra to achieve what you want ( within limits). Solid state amps generate odd order harmonics due to the operating characteristics of the device itself. But due to the very high gain you can achieve in ss circuits ,they use negative feedback to drop the distortion to low levels. This works well when designed properly.
"Good HF" in newer amps could be due to very wide bandwidth and even sometimes due to higher levels of high order harmonic distortion ! Makes it sound sharper. A general observation is that if it sounds bright but tiring to the ear it most likely has high higher order harmonics !

6. There can be no such thing as a warm DAC if 'DAC' means just the chip that decodes digital signals to analog. It's the following analog circuit that most often affects how the overall circuit sounds to the ear. But as I mentioned HF artifacts can significantly affect the 'sound' of a piece of equipment. The digital artifacts vary with design and also the type of dac like multibit or single bit dac's.

7. Prominence of any part of the bandwidth is not intentional and in a good design should not be there. Remember that an amp with 'flat' frequency response with a resistor as load ( as most measurements are made ) will no longer be 'flat' with a real world speaker connected to it. How bad it is depends on several factors especially the amps output impedance and the speaker impedance over the whole bandwidth which is never flat for most loudspeakers. Hence it could sound substantially different in different systems !

8. Yes there has been lots of progress in the last 30 years. Better components and better understanding of how everything works and affects the sound. That being said, there is room for a lot more to learn....A LOT MORE !

9. Not all valve amps are the same. There are good ones, average ones and bad ones.I have heard tube amps in the late 60's that were really good. I have a Scott tube amp from the 60's and it isn't as good as my ss amp ! But I have other tube amps that are VERY good. Made in this age with ( modern) new parts but vintage circuitry. In any case there aren't too many variations in tube circuitry ! SS amps last longer than tube amps because tube power amps need a change in power tubes every few thousand hours as they loose their amplifying capability with time. This is with " hours of playing time " and not just 'time' as in " from say year 2000 to 2010" !

10.There is no such thing as amps designed for 'digital audio', That is only a misleading marketing blurb. Audio is always analog and will continue to be so
till our ears transform to something else !
Digital audio is ' audio recorded and processed in the digital domain '. Does that make it better ? Yes and no. Converting audio to a digital stream helps to retain the original signal intact . But as usual it always depends on the performance of the digital parts and the processing routines (if you manipulate it ). So you can have two different systems with digital input and the usual analog output , that sound different. Without processing the digital
signal it does not do anything to the bandwidth of the signal. So treble can't get brighter or mid range get increased or decreased or bass become more or
less. If there are such issues, it will usually belong to the analog sections of the circuit.

On tube amps generally sounding different from ss amps:

Many old tube amps have high output impedance ( maybe in ohms like 0.5 to 2 ohms or more). This is responsible for the sound to be different compared to a solid state amp because it alters the frequency response ( from an ideal flat response) at the speaker terminals and hence the 'sound you hear' . And that is because the speaker impedance is not flat and varies over it's useable bandwidth. A few speakers ( like planar magnetic types etc. ) are fairly uniform and so don't suffer much from this problem. Plus tube amps generally have a different distortion spectra and if they have low negative feedback ( or none at all ) they could sound 'warm' due to the higher levels of second harmonic distortion.

Bottom line: If you like what you hear, that's best for you. No two ears are identical in performance. So you REALLY do not know what the other person hears except for simplistic things like more or less bass, midrange or treble.....AND if they like it or not. The 'texture' of the sound that another person hears can't be determined accurately. So trust what your ear tells you ! So if you can't hear the difference between a $10,000/- amp and a $50 amp , it's great. You can now buy the $50 amp and spend the money you saved on music ! That's the best place to be!
If you can hear some difference but not worth the money , then buy the $50 amp. It's all here just for the music . If you REALLY love music, buy the cheaper amp that sounds 'good enough' and buy tons of music !

I watched some old music video recordings from Youtube last night. Poor video but great music with dated recording quality. But it was MOST enjoyable and I was least upset about the low video and audio quality. Just tells you that if your ear likes it then enjoy it ! This doesn't mean that say, something like a 'Koji Kitaro' concert would sound OK with poor sound and picture . No, it would not do ! But for oldies, we can't change anything so 'just enjoy it !'. After a few minutes you wouldn't miss anything !

Cheers.
Took me a long time writing this blurb. Hope it answers some questions.

Last edited:
I owned CAMBRIDGE AUDIO AZUR 640A previously. I very much liked the smooth sound of this amp. No amp drove my Celestion ditton 44 like cambridge. Due to lack of phono i gave away that lovely amp at that time. I still miss it.

Should have just bought an external phono stage. You could even have rigged up one for yourself ! Plenty of boards and circuits available on the Net. If you don't build stuff , buy it and get some help from the forum members.
So now you can work on this and when you get a satisfying phono stage, try to get back your Cambridge !;)

Fantastic, please don't try and tell me that, for instance, modern telephones, especially mobile ones, sound better than the phone at my grandmother's house, c. 1958. In those days, each and every telephone instrument was installed by hand by a real engineer. How can we just plug things in (let alone use wireless frequencies) and expect to get anything like the same result? The thing was heavy, made out of real Bakelite. Even the handset was quite a weight. The cords were cotton covered, and plaited (not to mention again, hard-wired): there is no way that the modern, RJ-45-terminated, plastic-covered modern stuff can possibly complete, especially when it has been made in China.

The dials were fabulous, solid pieces of mechanical engineering, that sent out precise pulses, one by one, that, on a good day, you could actually count as you listened to them. What do we have today? multi-frequency beeps that cause nothing but fatigue.

Voices heard over such an instrument had a wonderful, almost croaky, timbre. If someone told you that they loved you, you felt it in the very core of your being.

Listening to the booming radiogram... answering the croaky phone... waiting for the wireless to warm up... trying to get a picture, rather than white speckles and lines on the TV...

Those were the days!

Don't ever dare to destroy the mystique!

( :lol: )

(And now I'm feeling really nostalgic for those days of my childhood. But was technology superior, in any way? Heck no!)

~

Last edited:
6. There can be no such thing as a warm DAC if 'DAC' means just the chip that decodes digital signals to analog. It's the following analog circuit that most often affects how the overall circuit sounds to the ear. But as I mentioned HF artifacts can significantly affect the 'sound' of a piece of equipment. The digital artifacts vary with design and also the type of dac like multibit or single bit dac's.

No, maybe we need to define our terms, but "DAC," unless otherwise specified, to me, at least, means the box, and includes everything from digital-in to analogue-out.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back