Virtual Reality headsets for Home Cinema - Experiences, discussions, thoughts

ssf

This could be a long post, beware !!!

It all started with my 6 year old son playing VR games in malls. So I thought to myself, why not have this at home for him (I do spoil him silly). Did some reading. The Oculus Rift S was one of the newcomers with no need for external sensors thanks to an Insight tracking system with five sensors. . Quest was an option but its inbuilt limited storage and charging requirements once in 3 hours put me off it. Ordered the Oculus Rift S. Then realized that it will not work with my existing laptop !!! Duh. Back to Amazon searching for a Game PC through which I could use the Rift S. Found one. Ordered. Rift S arrived first and then the PC.

Setup was a breeze. Could play audio though built in headset phones or my Marantz Home Theatre. Connected to XBox one without any issues. And then installed Big Screen VR. Now, Bigscreen VR gives you options to watch your video and movies in various rooms and settings. Loved it. There is a room for your most moods. And then there is the Grand Cinema !!! Watching Gladiator on Netflix in a 100 feet (Yes feet, not inches) screen with a IMAX like Theater environment was well, mind blowing for me seeing that the last time I stepped into a theater was probable 20 years back !!!

Pros:

1. Huge screen
2. Various environments for you moods.
3. Complete immersion (After a few drinks, you might be tempted to change your seat into another place in the huge sofa that you are sitting on. Don't !!! You will fall !!! Lol)
4. Also great for people who are not able to install a proper HT at home due to various restrictions but want to get the HT experience.
5. Very good for watching for 3D content.
6. Tech can only get better in the future with the resolutions increasing and costs coming down due to increased demand.

Cons:

1. Resolution cannot be compared to your 4k TV.
2. Dark theater atmosphere can bring unwanted glows around the lens but if you are able to ignore it, the experience is still good.
3. Can get expensive depending on what you are going for.
4. Netflix plays only through a web browser at 720 P due to DRM issues.
5. Due to the huge screen and theater like immersive atmosphere, you will be tempted to increase the volume of the HT much to the chagrin of the other family members.

Glad to know that there are many VR developers in our forum.

Your thoughts and experiences please.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back