ViV Laboratory Rigid Float Tonearm

jls001

Here's a very interesting new design for toenarm:

ViV Laboratory Rigid Float tonearm - The New Reference - oil floated pivot design | Tonearms | Apple Valley, California 92307 | AudiogoN - The High-end Audio Community

Review here:

Viv Lab Rigid Tonearm

Some unconventional features:

1) no angular offset built into the design
2) magnetic fluid suspension
3) to be simply placed on the plinth, no need to drill arm hole
4) available in 7 inch and 13 inch arm lengths (besides the more conventional 9 inch).
5) it also introduces a new terminology to tonearm geometry - side force error (mathematical details available in the review for those inclined).
6) unusually long headshell

Sometimes TT/arm designs amaze by their simplicity, sometimes they fascinate with their complexity. Sadly, they usually shock with their price.

Is it just me that wonders if there is an industry that puts expensive top of the design requirements? :eek:

Is it just me that wonders if there is an industry that puts expensive top of the design requirements? :eek:

In the world of high-end, high-performance, boutique tonearms, the prices of the ViV arms are par for the course.

Some high-enders:

1) Dynavector 507: $ 5350

2) SME V: $ 5500

3) Graham Phantom II Supreme: $ 5500

4) Origin Live Enterprise: 4,595

Then there are the truly high-end:
5) Durand Talea: $9500

6) Another Durand tonearm whose model number I can't recall: $ 17000 (IIRC)

No, I am not endorsing the high prices. Just pointing out that ViV is trying to position itself against the these models.

I have heard the viv labs 7" tonearm in action. Very dynamic and exciting presentation. Couldn't judge anything more because the system was only partly familiar to me.

Regarding high priced tonearms, check out the Vertere tonearm by Touraj mogadhham (roksan designer). I have heard the Vertere on a Transrotor TT. Can't say much except that it was nice. The system was totally unknown to me.

If you buy tone arms that expensive, can't imagine how much should be spent on the deck and carts .

check this Out
1374872717.jpg

Despite the undeniable beauty and seductive allure of all that kit, if I was ever to spend a substantial sum on vinyl play, I'd want one of these products!

EDIT: OhMyGod, they start at US$15,000. I'd forgotten that the amount involved was that substantial!

~

Last edited:
Actually this thread was about the (claimed) technical breakthroughs in tonearm design, which in my opinion, are substantial. Cost part is entirely incidental.

Despite the undeniable beauty and seductive allure of all that kit, if I was ever to spend a substantial sum on vinyl play, I'd want one of these products!

EDIT: OhMyGod, they start at US$15,000. I'd forgotten that the amount involved was that substantial!

~
Useless for most LPs as it does not track dust well :)

Actually this thread was about the (claimed) technical breakthroughs in tonearm design, which in my opinion, are substantial. Cost part is entirely incidental.

That's just what they want you to believe! :eek:hyeah: :lol:

But sorry... Happy to leave the whole price thing aside: technology is much more interesting.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back