Voltage stabilizer or UPS for a HiFi system

sh0080

What is the best way to keep the amp and/or powered speakers from frying out in case of a power surge?
UPS or AV stabilizer?
Please share any recommendations you may have for either.
Thanks.

I haven’t used an UPS. But observed that usual voltage stabilizers kills dynamics in music.

power conditioners protect to some extent. However CVT or Servo stabilizers are far more effective.

Issue with CVTs is they hum. Servos don’t hum but make noise only during voltage fluctuations. So my vote goes to servo stabilizer.

I haven’t used an UPS. But observed that usual voltage stabilizers kills dynamics in music.

power conditioners protect to some extent. However CVT or Servo stabilizers are far more effective.

Issue with CVTs is they hum. Servos don’t hum but make noise only during voltage fluctuations. So my vote goes to servo stabilizer.
Thanks! Any brands/models you recommend for the servo stabilizer?

What is the best way to keep the amp and/or powered speakers from frying out in case of a power surge?
UPS or AV stabilizer?
Thanks.

I have hooked all my AV equipment to APC BR1000G-IN. It provides excellent protection against any kind of power anomalies. If your apartment has a backup generator, then UPS is the way to go. Generator power is generally dirtier than Grid Mains.

UPS or AV stabilizer?
Thanks.
Usually if there is a surge, the home load distribution box (LDB) should trip the individual MCB or the mains.
These surges normally happen when mains power comes back on.
If there is a power outage, the safe thing to do is switch them off.
You may invest in a stabilizer, if you feel isolation from mains is required.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have hooked all my AV equipment to APC BR1000G-IN. It provides excellent protection against any kind of power anomalies. If your apartment has a backup generator, then UPS is the way to go. Generator power is generally dirtier than Grid Mains.

Is this Line Interactive or Online Sine Wave UPS?
I have occasional fluctuations of voltage in my area, and frequent powercuts that are switched over to home mains UPS instantaneously (almost). For stereo setup 800W, do I need Sine Wave Online UPS (around 12-30k) or the usual Line Interactive UPS (around 4-8k)? And do I need stabilizer over it?

I have occasional fluctuations of voltage in my area, and frequent powercuts that are switched over to home mains UPS instantaneously (almost). For stereo setup 800W, do I need Sine Wave Online UPS (around 12-30k) or the usual Line Interactive UPS (around 4-8k)? And do I need stabilizer over it?

Rather than line interactive, it is better to go for an online UPS since the powering of the connected devices is always done from the battery and is not dependent on the general power at home (at least this is what the theory says :)). I have an APC online UPS powering my entire system and it did make a difference to the sound.

Another option will be to go for a power re-generator like the PS Audio P5 or something.. But those will be way more expensive. But those can be placed in the same rack as your other equipment since they dont make noise. UPS on the other hand needs to be kept away as it makes noise. I have kept mine in an adjacent room...

Rather than line interactive, it is better to go for an online UPS since the powering of the connected devices is always done from the battery and is not dependent on the general power at home (at least this is what the theory says :)). I have an APC online UPS powering my entire system and it did make a difference to the sound.

Another option will be to go for a power re-generator like the PS Audio P5 or something.. But those will be way more expensive. But those can be placed in the same rack as your other equipment since they dont make noise. UPS on the other hand needs to be kept away as it makes noise. I have kept mine in an adjacent room...
Thanks for the input.
Not willing to spend much on it. Do you have a link for it, the one you have?
IA-400W
Preamp- not sure
No sub (if in future)- 400-500W
DAC-50-100W, i guess

That would be my load.

Here you go - APC 1KVA ONLINE UPS

This is the one that i am using with external batteries. My load is also somewhat similar to yours except for that i dont have a subwoofer. If you are planning to add the subwoofer, then i think better to get 1.5KVA (not sure if available from APC though) or 2KVA.

This is a Line Interactive UPS but the trigger points can be controlled via Power Suite software. Based on Mains voltage and harmonics, it automatically switches to battery. So, practically works as Online UPS. It's not a pure sine wave but close enough approximation for power sensitive devices to function normally. Since you already have a Home UPS, you may go for a Stabilizer but in future if you go for a AVR, home UPS switch over time may pose issues. AVR specially Denon needs a UPS switchover time less than 5ms to operate safely.

To summarise, I may get a stabilizer for the time being for voltage surge, and rely on the Home Invertor for the power cut safety.
I am not getting AVR anytime soon, just the stereo setup.
I hope I understood correctly!
In future, the best option is Online UPS, right?

Thanks

To summarise, I may get a stabilizer for the time being for voltage surge, and rely on the Home Invertor for the power cut safety.

Thanks
And again, what would a good stabilizer for the mentioned load, considering I don't want to spend loads on it?
I am a noob in electronics, but can see few different topology of stabilizers there.

Thanks

Yes, you got it right. Regarding the stabilizer brand, pretty much all of them performance similar. Go through the reviews in Amazon and pick one with decent reviews.

And again, what would a good stabilizer for the mentioned load, considering I don't want to spend loads on it?
I am a noob in electronics, but can see few different topology of stabilizers there.

V-Guard has got a lot of thrashing in one of the threads. you can search for more details.

Thanks for the replies. Imy case power fluctuations happen mostly when mains go out and everything runs in power backup for the building.
For this use case what I gather from above is a servo stabilizer would be good - considering Vertex servo for this. Although VGuard looks more vfm, reviews are not encouraging.

Thanks for the replies. Imy case power fluctuations happen mostly when mains go out and everything runs in power backup for the building.
For this use case what I gather from above is a servo stabilizer would be good - considering Vertex servo for this. Although VGuard looks more vfm, reviews are not encouraging.

Pls don't go for Vguard since voltage correction is not so good. I have it & am using it for TV & set top box only. For HIfi gear am using Krykard which is good. Vertex also would be really good.

Do we still need voltage stabilizers, over the online double converter UPS, with batteries. Theoretically, it seems that even if Mains is on, the output of UPS will be from battery and hence, constant voltage!

Hi Guys,

This is my Setup: I connect my amplifier, Cassette Decks, CD Player to an APC 1500 UPS. The UPS is connected to Everest Voltage Stabilizer EWD 300 WM.

Here were the factors why I set up like this:
1. In my area power fluctuations are very frequent, and even after numerous to the provider, they have no fixed it. The connection to our building from the post often burns out, and every time, they come to fix it, they only 'bandage' it. Often the voltage is high (even up to 270 V). Other devices in my house have got damaged, and I have to use a stabilizer for just about everything.
2. My total power need for my set up does not exceed 500 watts. The UPS can handle up to 865 watts easily.
3. I am aware the this UPS is very good at stabilizing power, but I noticed that for the amount/frequency of fluctuation, it makes a lot of effort, and goes to battery mode often, which in turns reduces battery life.
4. The Everest stabilizer is rated to handle load of 3000 watts, and it handles these fluctuations pretty well, so my UPS does not have to.
5. I chose the UPS because, I do not want my equipment to abruptly stop (esp., my cassette decks and CD player) and then restart.
6. I am not a seasoned audiophile to note any differences in quality of sound, but at least I know it is working well. I have done my testing with multimeters on the UPS and stabilizer outputs and they are decent, though may not be the best.

Please let me share your thoughts.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back