Volume jump in the Marantz receiver

Nitin K

Hi friends,

After almost 2 years of usage of the Marantz SR 7011, I find that the volume level jumps erratically while using the receiver's volume knob. Sometimes while reducing the volume using the knob, the volume increases instead of reducing. Sometimes times it does behave normally but the former condition is more prevalent. While using the remote to control the volume there are no issues whatsoever. I know it is a small issue & can live with it but nevertheless I had faced a similar issue with my earlier Marantz SR 8200 but after a span of approx 6 years or so.
Is it because of the humid weather that these parts get affected & also since we use the remote most of the time ? Rarely have I seen the earlier sturdy integrated amplifiers showing these symptoms. My usage of music/movies is generally once or at the most twice a week for around 4 hours . Is this issue Marantz specific or a general issue with today's mainstream receivers just after few years of usage? Thanks.

It's Dust. Affects all rotating knobs in all devices. Try blowing it away or you could also try wd40.

MaSh

I have faced this issue with all kinds of rotary knobs (car stereo, Amp) for volume, tone control etc. Rusting/dirt accumulation/age decay are possible reasons. Cleaning of pot generally solves the issue. Worst case, pot needs to be replaced at service center. There are many DIY videos on youtube as well on this topic. All the best.

Thanks Mash & kapmish. The receiver has a cloth cover which fully covers it when not in use & I use a lens blower around the receiver after every use.I guess I'll have to use the wd40. I feel the humidity of the coastal areas may also be responsible.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back