Volumio player + Allo Sparky

jls001

Has anyone tried Miorityclean with any other player. For those with old hardware and not able to use the latest bughead, is this doing something better?
Read some forums threads and few have commented that it does improves sound but nothing more specific.

Bughead had been too cumbersome as an audio player so I had reverted to using foobar till I stopped using PC as player. Now I use Volumio player on an Allo Sparky. Audio quality is very good (better than my highly tweaked PC+player) but it is also buggy (inexplicable lost connection to NAS despite using wired Ethernet, and very slow library update due to the low horsepower of the processor) but one doesn't have to through the "rituals" of Bughead.

Bughead had been too cumbersome as an audio player so I had reverted to using foobar till I stopped using PC as player. Now I use Volumio player on an Allo Sparky. Audio quality is very good (better than my highly tweaked PC+player) but it is also buggy (inexplicable lost connection to NAS despite using wired Ethernet, and very slow library update due to the low horsepower of the processor) but one doesn't have to through the "rituals" of Bughead.

You using just sparky or together with usbridge

I use a Pi3 with Volumio and all my music resides in the NAS and the Pi is connected via LAN to the Gigabit ethernet switch. I do not have problem with connection of loosing the connection and all as I enabled the WOL (wake on LAN) in my NAS. So usually the first song when played if from the existing playlist takes arouns 30-40 sec, otherwise it plays smoothly. The only issue I have seen is when I play DSD files sometimes I get some noise from my speakers which I am not sure if its the Volumio or my Amanero I2S dac connected to my Soekris DAC.

Also to be noted is that when I use mOode OS then even regular FLAC/WAV files give some screeching noise on some files but Volumio is very smooth.

usually the first song when played if from the existing playlist takes arouns 30-40 sec,
I use Volumio (Allo, Kali and Piano 2.1 bundle) it plays instantly ; similar to my Cxn v2 Streamer. My files reside on a (netgear) NAS as well, my wired Lan is Cat 7 and Cat 8 cables.

I use Volumio (Allo, Kali and Piano 2.1 bundle) it plays instantly ; similar to my Cxn v2 Streamer. My files reside on a (netgear) NAS as well, my wired Lan is Cat 7 and Cat 8 cables.

Sorry I think I did not put it in the right words. What I meant was that if my NAS is in sleep (standby) mode to save power if no activity, then the WOL command going from the Volumio takes around 30-40 secs for the playback to start. This happens only when my NAS is in sleep mode which I think is fine.

I use picoreplayer a squeezplayer based os on RPI 3B+ and Allo MiniBOSS ( has itsown clock for less jitter ).
PICORE player uses jivelite as a iser interface and a very good response. Volumio if you are paid user your overall experience will be fine, otherwise for free licence user picoreplayer is the best. 2nd one is MooDe.

I have had issues similar to @jls001 on my USBridge. There were nightmarish crashes when I was using a local hard disk. I have since moved to an NAS connected via wired Ethernet and there have been no crashes thereafter. However, Volumio sometimes forgets the existence of a music library and needs to be updated all over again.

I have had issues similar to @jls001 on my USBridge. There were nightmarish crashes when I was using a local hard disk. I have since moved to an NAS connected via wired Ethernet and there have been no crashes thereafter. However, Volumio sometimes forgets the existence of a music library and needs to be updated all over again.
Yes, a long standing issue with Volumio. Some have reported overriding this problem by soldering the power directly on to the board instead of using the flimsy C-type connector.

I face less problems by using a self powered hard disk and also find the SQ a little better than NAS.
Also library update over USB is much faster than over NAS or SMB.

If I remember correctly the USB on the Pi can just about power a USB pen drive or a wireless keyboard receiver. I could never run a drive off of it. better to plug the drive to a powered hub or best use a self-powered drive. I had no issues running my 2 TB drive with my pi. It was shared by 2 Pi then, one for music with a hifiberry Digi for music and the other for movies. This was I guess 3-4 years ago. Switched over to a PC then.

MaSh

Any one finding problem with the youtube plugin of volumio ? . With the latest update it stopped working . Any workaround to get ot running ?
I've downloaded the YouTube plugin but don't understand what next to do. Spotify works fine though.
And has anyone upgraded to Myvolumio to stream Tidal or Qobuz?

I've downloaded the YouTube plugin but don't understand what next to do. Spotify works fine though.
And has anyone upgraded to Myvolumio to stream Tidal or Qobuz?
After enabling the YouTube plugin in the Volumio, you can cast the songs from your mobile or browser by selecting this plugin during the YouTube playback on your device.

After enabling the YouTube plugin in the Volumio, you can cast the songs from your mobile or browser by selecting this plugin during the YouTube playback on your device.
That's exactly what is like to do. But I don't see the Volumio option in the YouTube app on my device
I have restarted my USBridge. I've rebooted my device. I've not yet uninstalled YouTube and reinstalled it

Last edited:
I've tried Tidal. You have to use the Volumio interface, can't stream from the Tidal app. Search is non existent. If Tidal is important to you, Volumio not the way to go.

you can use tidal via bubbleupnp on volumio, you can search on bubbleupnp

Anyone experiencing problem with volumio database, volumio is just mpd running in background, Disable volumio service and mpd still runs, Then you can control using MALP on android, library also can be updated easily through it, silky smooth.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back